Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Friend had a fall

Old 12-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Friend had a fall

Just found out that my friend was in a motorcycle wreck yesterday. I sent her a text and she has been replying and she said she is better but pissed that she wont be able to take her upcoming deployment. She said someone missed there turn so they cut across the lane to try and make it and she tried to swerve to avoid him and she swerved right into a curb and it launched her off the bike. She has a broken knee and she broke her lower back and minimal rash.

The doctor was looking at her gear(helmet, gloves, jacket) apparently and said that if her back protection had been a little more firm and longer that she would most likely would not have broken her back.Here is the back pad we both have in our jackets http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Protector.aspx

So know im thinking about some better protection since we both had the same armor type in our jackets. Anyone have any input on these few items ive been looking at?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...rmor-Vest.aspx
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...WT.ac=RichRecs
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ic-2-Vest.aspx

Anyways ride safe and wear your gear and thanks for any input.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, a back protector is better than no back protector but some things just cant be prevented. I have a one piece Dainese Tattoo race suit with back protector. It honestly makes me feel invincible but the reality is that I'm not and certain situations and/or ways your body is subjected to a crash can drastically change the outcome. Body armour or no body armour, you're taking your chances anyway. I do like the look of the Alpinstars back protector you posted.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:33 AM

Ha, I just read my post and realised that I said "back protector" 4 times! Time for bed I think.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and said that if her back protection had been a little more firm and longer that she would most likely would not have broken her back
Wait till the Insurance guy comes along and says "that if she was not riding a motorcycle, instead if she was in a car she wouldn't have all these injuries." So her insurance guy tells her she can't have a motorcycle (with his company), so are you going to sell yours and buy a cage now. No, cause we all know it is a risk we take. We all have to watch out for the cagers.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the red one in the picture below, but I remember reading that injuries like your friend's with a direct blow to the spine, are extremely rare in motorcycle crashes. He said that most back injuries are due to violent torquing of the spine after a blow to the shoulder or hips, and for these a back protector doesn't make a difference.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:52 AM

Boom - if I had one it would be this.

I have the Air Shield that I put in my current Dainese jackets.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:37 AM

hope ur frien heals up soon man...

I ve never evn really thopught bout a additional back support ....but then again I dont think all that much anyway

Old 12-23-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by crashking
hope ur frien heals up soon man...

I ve never evn really thopught bout a additional back support ....but then again I dont think all that much anyway
Get back on your corner!

Old 12-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry about your friend. Hope she recovers quickly.

I use the Spidi Warrior under my leathers & Spidi Warrior Insert in my jackets.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:13 PM

sorry for your friend...she must have hit in a weird way.

personally i dont think i would wear an extra protector yet, after a crash like that i would and i would take the icon one for the price. i cant see myself wearing a whole upper body one like that unless i got into stunting. Im happy with my jacket.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Friend had a fall