Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Found this on Myspace last night

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008 | 06:20 PM
Banned
Default RE: Found this on Myspace last night

It's fools like you that become victims.
I would venture to guess,many people if motivated,would be clever enough to take your wallet and gun and leave you unconcious. Many times a gun is a false sense of security, many times you may think it is handy, many times you think you are prepared to use it, but my guess is most times you will be wrong. To truly protect yourself, you have to be wildly paranoid, always vigilant, and welltrained. Nobody except for real professionals ever fit that bill and those folk usually have some'down time'.

A gun is a tool and like most tools is only useful for the people with the training and the aptitude to use them. But if it makes you sleep better and you have fun shooting them (like I do), then great, but don't kid yourself, that gun probably won't save your life when you need it.

And let's keep the name calling to a minimum...unless the other person rides a gsxr, we try to have some manners on this forum.

Old 04-05-2008 | 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

It's fools like you that become victims.
I would venture to guess,many people if motivated,would be clever enough to take your wallet and gun and leave you unconcious. Many times a gun is a false sense of security, many times you may think it is handy, many times you think you are prepared to use it, but my guess is most times you will be wrong. To truly protect yourself, you have to be wildly paranoid, always vigilant, and welltrained. Nobody except for real professionals ever fit that bill and those folk usually have some'down time'.

A gun is a tool and like most tools is only useful for the people with the training and the aptitude to use them. But if it makes you sleep better and you have fun shooting them (like I do), then great, but don't kid yourself, that gun probably won't save your life when you need it.

And let's keep the name calling to a minimum...unless the other person rides a gsxr, we try to have some manners on this forum.
Now I wouldn't say all that. My G23 has, in less than a year, undoubtedly saved me from what the louisiana state police would call "reasonable fear of death or bodily harm" on two occasions, no shots fired (thank god) as both occasions i presented a verbal warning prior to drawing, where both fled. It is not to say that a person could not disarm the average guy (me) and still pretty much do whatever they want, but the average criminal (the vast majority of criminals from what i understand) is looking for the easy buck, and will turn tail at the first sight of the odds becoming out of favor. As far as personal acquaintances of mine go who have been in such a situation (only a handful, mind you), all have turned out similarly to mine.

Not saying that you are wrong on all counts, because anyone, or a group of people determined enough can in fact get what they want from who they want. a firearm is by no means the end-all-be-all in self defense, and a keen awareness of your surroundings as well as an acquired sense of street smarts are the most important tools in a person's disposal. but there's no doubt in my mind that my drawing a firearm, as well as a combination of other things has saved my life twice.

Old 04-05-2008 | 07:44 PM

ORIGINAL: David96Z

It's fools like you that become victims. If I'm a guy that wants to hurt someone, and I can't get a gun I'll just use something else. I have my CCW permit for the same reasons as the other guys here, I will not be a victim.

ORIGINAL: Juliet

One of the reasons your country scares me is you own guns over there like we own mobile phones .. or so it seems...

Guns are for hurting people :-(

Jules

Don't call Juliet a fool. She is a better person than you will ever be.

Old 04-05-2008 | 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: sixhundredrr

ORIGINAL: David96Z

It's fools like you that become victims. If I'm a guy that wants to hurt someone, and I can't get a gun I'll just use something else. I have my CCW permit for the same reasons as the other guys here, I will not be a victim.

ORIGINAL: Juliet

One of the reasons your country scares me is you own guns over there like we own mobile phones .. or so it seems...

Guns are for hurting people :-(

Jules

Don't call Juliet a fool. She is a better person than you will ever be.

Abosolutely no need for name calling. I think any reasonable person can see why someone would be timid towards firearms. They're loud, and they DO hurt people and furry animals and paper and such. But i think it must also be mentioned that London (where firearms are essentially illegal) very frequently has a higher murder rate than my hometown here, which is just as frequently the highest in the United States.

Old 04-05-2008 | 08:32 PM

I just finished my CPL class session today. My range time is next weekend. It was a great time. Anyone who hasn't done one should. They teach all about the alternatives to shooting, carrying the gun that is comfortable for 14 hour stint even if it's smaller, and tell all sorts of interesting stories. Again, worth every cent. Both of the teachers were Michigan State Police officers (one retired, one current) and had all sorts of experience points to give.

Old 04-05-2008 | 08:36 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

ORIGINAL: rangerscott

ORIGINAL: HAVOC

this is what sits on my night stand loaded with another clip sitting ready.

lookin to get a rifle soon or maybe an ar15 but here in cali we never get any good guns lol everything is "illegal"
Is it a cowinsident that your white hand is pointing a pistol at a black man on your monitor?
nope ill point my gun at any race after all i dont discriminate , that would be wrong

Old 04-05-2008 | 10:56 PM
Friend and Hero ...

ORIGINAL: holycrapitshassell

Not saying that you are wrong on all counts, because anyone, or a group of people determined enough can in fact get what they want from who they want. a firearm is by no means the end-all-be-all in self defense, and a keen awareness of your surroundings as well as an acquired sense of street smarts are the most important tools in a person's disposal. but there's no doubt in my mind that my drawing a firearm, as well as a combination of other things has saved my life twice.

You are absolutely correct being totally aware of your surroundings at all times is the key to survival at all times in your life.
But on the subject of them getting what they want from any one, little brother. I think you would be probably right In most cases and I'm not bragging on my abilities, but I would have to say if we are speaking of hand-to-hand with partially skilled individuals and myself the odds could be as good as three to one and I think I would come out on top
If were speaking of an armed encounter on my home turf with low skilled individuals five to one, I am on top still. I'm totally familiar with the complete layout, need absolutely no light to navigate the inside or outside areas. And have the ability to move quiet enough, not to even spook a house mouse and askilled professional with most all firearms

Old 04-05-2008 | 11:09 PM

ORIGINAL: HARDCORP 8654

And have the ability to move quiet enough, not to even spook a house mouse and askilled professional with most all firearms

See what I mean?

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR

...only one person that I would want as my real-life next-door neighbor.

Old 04-05-2008 | 11:51 PM

i would love to get a concealed carry permit... but here in the califoniabay area you have to be a business owner who often carrries large amounts of cash or a cop.... oddly enough my boss just came up to me (literally i stoped typing where the elypsis is)and was like dont you every worry when your here at night someones gonna rob ya haahah. I hope yah get a sig for your cc

Old 04-06-2008 | 12:18 AM

ORIGINAL: HARDCORP 8654

ORIGINAL: holycrapitshassell

You are absolutely correct being totally aware of your surroundings at all times is the key to survival at all times in your life.
But on the subject of them getting what they want from any one, little brother. I think you would be probably right In most cases and I'm not bragging on my abilities, but I would have to say if we are speaking of hand-to-hand with partially skilled individuals and myself the odds could be as good as three to one and I think I would come out on top
If were speaking of an armed encounter on my home turf with low skilled individuals five to one, I am on top still. I'm totally familiar with the complete layout, need absolutely no light to navigate the inside or outside areas. And have the ability to move quiet enough, not to even spook a house mouse and askilled professional with most all firearms

Right, of course there will be those who would have no problem fending off multiple attackers, but what i was really speaking for was the average guy such as myself. I've done lots of boxing from a very early age until presently, but that only goes so far for me, as my true hand to hand fighting experience is basically nil. I could rock one guy pretty good, but anything over one on one for me would get just plain ugly (all i can do is assume:-p). But thankfully for me and my face and internal organs, provided i was not the aggressor, that would easily justify "reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm" in Louisiana (woot woot) and i have no qualms against shooting until i feel there is no longer a threat.

Quick Reply: Found this on Myspace last night