Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Football Thread. (it's long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Football Thread. (it's long)

I'm a huge NFL fan. I mean huge, I buy the NFL Sunday ticket and redzone HD package for 400 bucks a year big.

I watch every game thanks to Direct TV cutting everything out Monday after the games and making them 30m long total *yup it's awesome*

That being said I can't remember a more screwed up NFL season. Sure I have my teams that I root for. I'm from Houston so the Texans are my team. The Cowboys are also a good one of mine although I do like to cheer against them sometimes

The colts unfortunately are my 2nd favorite team which blows because I can chock up two losses a year to the Texans by them since we play in their division *yes it's the Colts division :P*

Have you ever in an NFL season seen so many really good teams.. and then reaaly really bad teams?

Sure I know the last 5 years *or longer for some of these teams* they have been horrible.

I don't think I even need to mention but I will. The Lions come right to mind last years 0-16 season. The Raiders and Rams not far behind in the suck-o discussion. And every year you have a team or two that did ok last year take it up the tail pipe this year. The Titans are a perfect example of that. Last year they went 13-3 the best record in the NFL but after tanking it in the playoffs they seemed to have never recovered starting out 0-6 this year but then finishing stronger down the road *to even beat the Texans at home* /sigh...

And the Vikings would be the polar opposites of the Titans this year, Crap last year and yet this year they shoot past everyones expectations and Brett Farve has his best season of his entire life statisticly in almost every category let alone record!

Like I said I can ramble on about football with anyone and being a huge Fantasy nutt I know at least a few players on every NFL team which is also kinda funny but hey every time I go to Las Vegas and theres a zillion different fans there at least I can talk with every single one of them..

Back on topic!
Has anyone in the history of them watching Football ever seen a season were so many teams were just unbelievably good and some were so horrible bad?

I mean lets break it down.

Colts: 14-2 this year. Not such a big supprise they are always kicking *** and taking names but if it wasnt for pulling their starters in week 15 and losing to the Jests *a #)($*ing dision that knocked the Texans out of the playoffs*
Theres no doubt in my mind that they stay undefeated the whole season into the playoffs.

Vikings: 13-3 They won the NFC North by compiling a 10–6 record in 2008, and hosted the Philadelphia Eagles in a wild card round playoff game. The Vikings' season ended when they were defeated in that game, 26–14. I guess this one was easier to predict since they won their division last year but lets be honest it's a weak division and with a 40 year old QB no one expected them to be the power house they are today.

Chargers: 13-3 Talk about the best team that no one is talking about. I made quite a bit of money betting on them to beat the Cowboys when I was in Las Vegas this year. What can I say about the Chargers except they get it done every single year and every year the experts pick them to win it all and they lose to the patriots in the playoffs each year. This is LT's last year and I expect them to get it done if the Colts don't knock them out of the race.

Saints: 13-3 Who dat? Who dat Saints? This is the start of my post where I start the great teams that started out looking immortal and sooner or later a team found their "achilles heel" Watching ESPN all season long to hear how the Saints were the best team in football only to drop the last couple games in shocking and embarrassing losses back to back to back... one including losing to the 1-15 Buccaneers... A team I forgot to put in the SUCK collum but everyone knows they do. I've lost all confidence in this team going into the post season and if they even make it to the NFC Championship game I will be shocked to say the least.

Now on to the teams That started out the season looking like the Gold'n boy "Tomb Brady"*We'll get to that ***** later* who can do no wrong!
Giants and Bronco's: I'm lumping these two teams in because they both started out 5-0 and then both tanked the season so hard they didn't make the playoffs other then choke artists I don't have anything else to say to these teams but I couldn't believe that neither made the playoffs after the starts of the season they both had.

Texans: 9-7 The Texans have pissed me off every single year of their creation in pretty much a different way each year...Im going to throw in what I think about them even though they didnt start the season strong or finish it that way either. It's hard to be a Texans fan and yet this is what I consider myself and for all you fans of the Rams Raiders and Buccaneers that say "Screw you my team sucks more!" Yeah well your teams all have Superbowl rings let alone playoff wins... let alone even going to the playoffs.... so.. you can just stop talking. Being Texans season Ticket holder *this year I actually own 11 tickets don't ask lol I wont next year.* It's heartbreaking every single year to have such huge expectations and then to watch us tank the easiest games of the season to sub .500 teams and then beat the Patriots and Bangles but lose to the Jaguars twice? It makes no sense and breaks your heart. Yes we are improving but I tell you what Every single draft year when the season is starting a bunch of ESPN and other experts pick the Texans to win the division and give the Colts and everyone else in the AFC a run for the Superbowl. It never happens and every single year it's depressing as **** to watch us lose the games against the worst teams in the NFL and then beat the power houses. Did you know the Texans beat the Colts in 06 when they won the big one? Yup only time in Franchise history to even beat them and we did it when they won.. We beat the Buc's the year they won too.. and two other teams that won the Superbowl we beat them that very same year. But we can't even get into the playoffs to try and win.

I'm getting off topic because the Texans make me nerd rage sometimes.. sorry guys Not that I see anyone else reading this far but it's the thought that counted

In conclusion I wanted to talk about the playoffs this year and give you my picks for next week ahead of time...

Never in my life have I seen so many playoff teams tank the last game of the season to a worse team and then have to play them the Very next week for the first round of the playoffs.

The Packers beat the snot out of the Cardinals 33-7 and it looks like they get to play them again yup just 7 days later, it's sure hard not to pick against them so I wont the Packers will walk into the Cardinal stadium and beat them by 6 or more.

The Cowboys and the Eagles played this week and this game ment a lot for both teams. Sure they were both already in the playoffs but it was for home field. Well 24-0 and the Cowboys get to host the Eagles again in just you guessed it, 7 days. I have 4 playoff tickets im selling for 500 bucks each if anyone's interested Insert shameless plug here lol... This is the only game I honestly think has a chance to go the other way in a repeat. Sorry Cowboy fans I just think the Eagles won't be terrible next week and considering the Cowboys lust for choking in the playoffs "they haven't won a playoff game since the last time they wont he Superbowl" This will be a close game. However... I still like the cowboys to win this game so I'm going to say Cowboys -1

The Jets beat the **** out of the Bangles this week in the meadowlands 37-0 in an upset that quite frankly pissed me off if the Jets would have lost my Texans make the playoffs for the first time in franchise history but then again the Texans don't deserve it this year after being beaten by so many horrible teams... The Jets play the Bangles again this time in Cincinnati you guessed it, 7 days from now. The Jets will win again Cinci looked horrible this game. Unless the jets turn the ball over -3 times they wont lose in Cinci.

So out of the 4 games played next week 3 of them are rematches of games played this week. All 3 of those games were blowouts and lets face it quite snooze fest's to watch, I'm going to give the edge on the last game to New England, Sure they lost to my Texans and they lost Wes Welker which is the best "unknown" receiver in the NFL "excluding us fantasy guru's" but it wont matter. The Patriots are kings when they play at home and even Tom Brady wont lose it to the Ravens at home. I expect big things from the Golden boy and they will rout the Ravens this week to a tune of winning my 6 or more.

That being said if you watched the Texans Pats game how sick and tired are you of them giving a reach around to Tom every time he takes the field? Oh he's the best he's awesome he's so super cool and his wife is a super model.
Give me a break... "but dont you know?? he's playing with THREE broken ribs and a broken finger in his throwing hand!!" Bull****. I've had a bruised rib before it feels like a 300lb guy is sitting on your chest and you cant breath even sitting down WATCHING football let alone play it.. You're telling me he's playing with 3 broken ribs in a game that dosent matter at all win or lose just because he's "that guy"? **** you tom brady I'm not even capitalizing your name anymore. I'm so tired of him being put in the same sentence with Breese, Payton, , Marino, Elway, Young or any other great.. Im sick of it. Lets get one thing straight, they cheated. That's right they cheated. Everyone knows it but in America if you cheat your way to the top it's perfectly ok. If you win it's looked past, If they had been the Lions holy **** they would have been kicked out of the league. You dont think if Peyton Manning had memorized the defense's play calling the night before and knew their hand signals for a blitz or man coverage he couldn't exploit it? I mean throw me in the game and even I can audible a screen pass to the RB or a deep pass to the outside with single coverage if I know whats coming!

In conclusion It's been a weird NFL season and the Patriots suck my left ********.

That is all
-Rojer Lockless

Old 01-04-2010, 10:25 AM

This is how I feel about the pat's and it sums it up quite nicely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EU1O-hGxgg

Old 01-04-2010, 11:18 AM

damn Roj, that is some good info...will you help me in next years fantasy draft?and i agree , it is a lop sided leage this year, im not happy with some of the out comes and dont even get me goin on coaches..if i could hire and fire ......

Old 01-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good read Rojer. What really irritates me is that the NFL is on this plan to limit viewing of even more games available to general viewing public...& going to more pay-per-view via NFL Network situation. This stinks. W/ all the other obligations & responsibilities of a family budget, its hard to justify extra for paying to watch football on a pay-per-view channel over the cost of what is already expensive cable bills. :\

It really irritates me when teams "rest" players b/f the playoffs. Bear Bryant, Tom Landry, & John Madden, would never do this. Their philosophy was - you play to win...not play to practice or rest for the playoffs. :\ To me, that's not character but compromise...& there's no compromise in winning.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm from Houston and I decided quickly I could never root for the Texans after the '06 draft. Any team passing by Vince Young, Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush with a 1st round draft pick proved their lunacy quick.

I'm a Dallas Fan and living here in Philly right now is.... Interesting. Friends texted "Bastard" to me all day yesterday while I was safe behind closed, double locked and in my gunsight door during the game (I had the surround sound up full).

Yes I was there
After last year's murder in the Linc, I'm thinking Dallas will do it next week after a much closer game. McNabb has the ability to choke horribly given incentive and the team is too young to know how to react when the QB chokes. Romo and Dallas are in the same situation. But playing in Dallas gives them an advantage. Plus players like Witten and Barber can work even with the QB twitching on the field so long as the ball is in the general vicinity of their hands.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:08 PM

That's VERY close to my season tickets to the Cowboys man *I have playoff tickets now*