Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Food dehydrator

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Food dehydrator

I like to make my own dehydrated food. Jerky's my favorite to make, then I make other things like strawberries, apples, pears, starfruit, pineapple, grapes. etc.

I started years ago but have just recently gotten back into it about 4 months ago when I bought a dehydrator from Walmart. It is a 'Oster Food Dehydrator' and it was the only one that they carried so I didn't really think twice about buying it.

The other day the fan just cut out and stopped working, after googling it Ive come to realize that it was notorious for the fan to stop working, but absolutely nowhere is there a solution to fixing it.

I don't really know enough about electronics to really know whats going on inside of the dehydrator or to know what broke(?) or if its possible to even fix it(?)or whether or not its a matter of a simple solder(?). So I was hoping that one of you electrical engineers or just someone who knows what they are talking about could help me out. I would be very thankful and am willing to tear it apart and try whatever you guys think will work, and will provide pictures if you need me to. Thanks guys.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:48 AM
August 2011 ROTM

I make jerky for my store and when those things break, I have to send it back to the manufacture. I had electrician friend looked at it once and he told me he cannot fix it.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

time for an upgrade!!!!!!

do you, or yum, have any recipes you would share? i have a dehydrator, but have never used it.

Last edited by 74demon; 02-02-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:27 AM

If you have only had it a few months I would take it back to Wal-Mart and get a new one.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Girl
If you have only had it a few months I would take it back to Wal-Mart and get a new one.
+1 WalMart will take anything back

Old 02-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Stop shopping at wally-world.

You can make jerky in your oven. Slice the meat thin and marinade it. Place it on the racks with foil at the bottom of the oven to catch the drippings. Use the lowest temp. If you can't handle the racks, the oven is to hot. You are drying, not cooking the meat.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

+1, walmart is only good for rotella t6!!

Old 02-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

I never knew Honda made these. Is there a section on the forum where I can pick up tips on these? And where do I find tips on Gardening with recycled engine oil?

Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
time for an upgrade!!!!!!

do you, or yum, have any recipes you would share? i have a dehydrator, but have never used it.
I got a moose and deer during hunting season this past year so mostly I've been making wild game jerky.

For Jerky I use:
Richards game marinade (local)
Worcestershire sauce
Soy sauce
Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce
Liquid smoke
Garlic powder
Kosher Salt
Black pepper
MC Steak Seasoning
Meat Tenderizer
and anything else I find that I want to throw in.

I usually let it marinade for 3-4 days, then dehydrate approximately 8 hours rotating shelves every couple.

For things like strawberry's I cut them up then shake them in sugar then dehydrate them and when they are done its like eating candy.

Grapes make amazing flavor blasted raisins. (they take 2-3 whole days though so I don't do them very often.) No preparation needed for these.

And one of my favorites, is apple chips. Cut up apples into thin slices then load up your dehydrator and keep them on for 10-12 hours or until you have them like you want them, I usually munch every couple hours and pull them off when they are like I like.

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
Stop shopping at wally-world.

You can make jerky in your oven. Slice the meat thin and marinade it. Place it on the racks with foil at the bottom of the oven to catch the drippings. Use the lowest temp. If you can't handle the racks, the oven is to hot. You are drying, not cooking the meat.
You can make it in the oven, its what I used to do before I bought a dehydrator and its good but it doesn't taste nearly as good as ones made on a dehydrator.

Originally Posted by Little Girl
I'm pretty sure that is what I am going to do, just figured id ask if anyone on here knew anything about fixing them.

Last edited by Jmclmorrow; 02-02-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryM
I never knew Honda made these. Is there a section on the forum where I can pick up tips on these? And where do I find tips on Gardening with recycled engine oil?
Dragging the handle bar end in the soil makes for a nice troth to put your corn kernels in. Using a mirror, cover the corn and water.

Swinging a chain around can be used to clear small brush areas.

When my son was 6 yrs old, I made jerky from 3 pounds of flank steak. I put the finished jerky in the frig and went looking for it the next day. As I was poking around looking for it my son came in and asked,"Hay, Dad, what was that stuff in that container you put in there, it was good."

"I asked WAS good? What do you mean WAS good?"

He said, "Yep, it WAS real good. Are you going to make more?"

Quick Reply: Food dehydrator