Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

First SVC... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First SVC... HELP

Ok.. well in the last 30days between snows/ice/rain i have logged 600miles.... Its now time for the infamous "first svc" I know it has to be done at a Honda Dealer to retain the warranty.

So i have 3 dealers all about the same distance away..

First dealer i call <--where i bought my bike. Tells me that its going to be somewhere between $200-$300 total, and that the valves have to be adjusted ect..

Second Dealer <---where i took my 04 all the time.. Told me it would be about $80 - $120max and said all they need to do is an oil change/check the valves to make sure there is no adjustment needed. <he also said that in all of his cbrs he has never had to adjust the valves this early.. he said the VTX was another story.. lol..

Third dealer is a Honda dealer, but appears to be mainly for lawnmowers.. lol.. what im saying is its TINY.. (1) 1krr (1) 07600RR (0) 08 600's... so i called them and they told me the same thing for the most part as dealer #2..

ALL 07-08 600RRs out there please let me know what your first svc was like/cost/and how your bike is running now.. and how many miles you have on it now..

Thanks..

Can someone please tell me why i am getting a drastic difference in opinions from Honda Dealer to Honda Dealer?

Old 04-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Default RE: First SVC... HELP

Dealer #2 sounds about right to me. I pre-paid for my first svc when I bought the bike. I think mine was a little more money though. Its just to make sure everything is in working order. And they change the oil.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: CBRCRF

Dealer #2 sounds about right to me. I pre-paid for my first svc when I bought the bike. I think mine was a little more money though. Its just to make sure everything is in working order. And they change the oil.
^^^^Have you put enough miles on your bike for your first service?

I personally would just do the oil change myself. I highly doubt a valve adjustment or check is done within the timelineyou have listed with dealer #2 or #3. Just guessing the timeline based on the amount they quoted you. What is the second service interval listed at?

Old 04-16-2008, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: dwschultzy

Have you put enough miles on your bike for your first service?
HAHAHA!!!
Not funny!
Ive put more on than you have in the past month[8D]
OH! BURN!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 12:47 PM

600 miles, first service. Tell Dealer one to **** off, (I paid around $150-200 for mine... I think. I forget.), they will check all that good stuff for you (they're supposed to anyways). I would do either dealer 2 or 3.

I've got 11,750+ miles on my 07, never had any troubles (taken to the drags several times, tons of town and highway miles, etc). Got the first service done at a dealership for my warranty piece of mind. (As well as, if something suddenly "happens", you can go back and pin the dealership since they were the last ones to touch the bike for this first service)

For my first service, they checked the valves, oil change, adjusted the chain for slack again, checked the cable (clutch) freeplay and adjusted it, checked the bolts and screws to make sure they were still tightened up nice... and I think they checked the tire pressure. That's what I can remember to the best of my ability... since it was a long time ago.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:56 PM

I personally would just do the oil change myself. I highly doubt a valve adjustment or check is done within the timelineyou have listed with dealer #2 or #3. Just guessing the timeline based on the amount they quoted you. What is the second service interval listed at?
He might have a hard time doing the oil change himself. I mean with living in a Hotel and all...

Old 04-16-2008, 01:12 PM

Trust me.. i would.. but the first svc HAS to be done at a Honda dealer to retain your warranty.. and yes.. i am @ 600miles ish..

not to mention the manual says to get your first svc after the first 300km or first month or riding.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:18 PM

ORIGINAL: OKIEZAC

Trust me.. i would.. but the first svc HAS to be done at a Honda dealer to retain your warranty.. and yes.. i am @ 600miles ish..

not to mention the manual says to get your first svc after the first 300km or first month or riding.
He was talking about me when he asked if I had enough miles. My bike has very low mileage[8D].

After your first svc are you able to do everything yourself?
I would go with dealer #2.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:46 AM

no it doesnt,no dealer or company can make you have service done at their business.also,if they force you to use their product( be it honda or anyone else) ask them if they have heard of the magnuson-moss warranty act.then watch them stumble thru a bunch of butts.