Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

First ride after that crash

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First ride after that crash

I'm sure many of you have been there, that weird feeling after being off your bike after wrecking. My crash didn't put me in the hospital or anything but it was definitely a violent experience and I still have just a tiny bit of rash just healing up, at this rate my arm will be 100% healed at nearly the same exact time as my bike lol. It's been about...4 days shy of a month since I went down and just today got the bike to riding spec. I still need to put the side fairings, upper, headlight, cluster, and a few other small items on but I took it for a short ride down the road.

Took me a bit to get over the awkward feeling of being back on it, also knowing in the back of my mind that I'm not a professional bike builder and I did all the work myselfbut I took as many precautions as I could. I'll get some pics as soon as I'm finished but as it sits it's mechanically better than it was when I put 'er in the ditchline....save for maybe a chain. Anyonecatch my drift about the feeling upon saddling up for round 2?

Old 09-26-2008, 01:30 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Default RE: First ride after that crash

I know how ya felt, same thing after i put mine down. Grats for getting back on though, there are a few people i know who after a crash gave it up. After mine ( i was down for about 3 weeks), sitting at the end of the drive i actually felt almost a bit nervous. I rolled out though, gavea few taps of the brakes to make sure all was good, and couple of swerves in the road. All felt good so i just snapped up a wheelie for about a mile (live in pretty desolate area) put it down to a nice long endo, and after that never thought about it once.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I went down the first time I dislocated my shoulder,my bike had bent handle bars,broken clutch lever,rash on the fairings.Road home and started repairing everything including my shoulder and was back on the following week.That's because I had to wait for some parts for the bike.Fall off a horse and get back on ASAP.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:54 AM

Aweasel, I know exactly what you mean. Congrats on getting back on her. Thats hard to do. I laid mine down back in March and she is finally rideable on October 6th. My get off seperated my shoulder and fractured a rib. Since then I've only taken out a SV650s here and there but nothing major. I'll have my bike back for about 2 weeks before its time for the track and I'm really wondering if its the right move to make. I know i'll be a little rusty and don't want to drop it again so soon but I still think i'm going to do it and just take it extremely easy. Any thoughts?

Old 09-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me...after the 2nd or 3rd time down...it'll feel like an old hat.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:20 PM

haha, yea, ive been down 4 times on the track, and now its just saddle up and get back out there, if the bikes rideable, but it always has been after wrecking.... my neck still gives me some problems when i look to the right from my wreck at nelson's ledges, i guess i should go get that check out

Old 09-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aweasel, i know how you feel.

when i hit the deer i was down for a month but i was ANXIOUS to get back out there, when i highsided a month later, i questioned it a bit but was again back out there in less than two months.

w/ my last lowside, it had me questioning if this is for me. but sometimes it takes just a little bit of fixing it up to make you love it again. as soon as i replaced my mirrors and had mirrors behind me again, i was enjoying it. there was no constant reminder of what i had done every time i went to look in my mirrors. now, im having a BLAST again!

the fear goes away, the memory wont. you'll prob always remember what you did, what happened, and how it felt......but ya move on, brother!

Old 09-27-2008, 08:00 PM

i jumped right on..after rebuilding it with stitches in my hand...I jumped on a week later still bruised, rashed, and hand stitched up...best feeling ever