Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Another group ride, another crash...opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another group ride, another crash...opinions

Out of my last three rides with my 'core' riding group, we have had three crashes. First guy broke his back (even though he rode away from the wreck), and this second kid got some rash, a puncture, and deep bruising (his bike is in my garage). The problem is, these are people we don't know. They show up to our meeting sight, and we let them j.oin our ride. We have had a pretty open policy about this to date. Two crashes in four weeks is unacceptable. I know what I want to do (change locations and lock down WHO we ride with), but I want to have other options at our next meeting. What do you guys/gals think.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Default RE: Another group ride, another crash...opinions

I think riding with strangers is tricky. you want to expand your group, but until you know thier style, you can have strange dynamics. I ride with the same 2 guys all the time and we know how the others handle themselves, so there is no problem. i think if you're going to take new guys, the routes should be different, and the pace should be slower, just to get a feel for them.

then "let them in" to your "club" if the aren't @$$ hats

Old 08-04-2008, 12:12 PM

yikes, are they all new riders ?

when i go riding with the group in my town , we break in to two groups. 1st group is the faster group the ones that have lots of ride experience , and the 2nd is the speed limit group new to riding and just wana cruse .

also we start out on some nice straights to get the bikes warmed up , and let the some people get there wheelies and stuff out of the way, then head to the twistes.

we just found the cruse people were very uncomfortable riding out of there means, but they wanted to keep up with the group which usually caused the accidents

Old 08-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Retired Moderator

We have a couple of people that ride really fast. We usually split into two groups with those guys in the fast group (I hang in the second group), but the first wreck was a guy who thought he could handle the fast group. I just don't understand why people would want to push it so hard that they crash. I just don't get it...the way I don't get country music. I l.ike being able to go home, and have my bike intact, and ride tomorrow, too...

Old 08-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

advise them to ride their ride n not to try n stay with yall if its out of their comfort zone/riding skills.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: voodoochyl

We have a couple of people that ride really fast. We usually split into two groups with those guys in the fast group (I hang in the second group), but the first wreck was a guy who thought he could handle the fast group. I just don't understand why people would want to push it so hard that they crash. I just don't get it...the way I don't get country music. I l.ike being able to go home, and have my bike intact, and ride tomorrow, too...
We have a pretty strick policy around here if you ride with us. You ride whe.re we tell you to. I have a very very strick no f#cking around near other people policy. The police are bad about taking people's bikes away here so when we ride we only ride. No wheelies and things li.ke that unless we are blocked off from traffic/the cops finding us.

I guess what it is going to come down to is unless you want to be picking limbs/teeth/heads/ripped of flesh/dead bodies up off the the road set some rules. It's very hard for me to ride with groups because of everything I have seen working in the medical field. So when I finally clawed my way to the top here, I talked the guys into setting rules. The first one being new people can't do anything outside of just riding in a straight line until they are told different. We haven't had even a mishap since last december. And that was when we had a truck clip our lead guy.

Are group is well liked for newbies, we have nine paramedics, four EMT's, a doctor, firefighters, and tons of military. We don't f#ck around. Our rules or get lost....

Old 08-04-2008, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: laxbuellgirl
Are group is well liked for newbies, we have nine paramedics, four EMT's, a doctor, firefighters, and tons of military. We don't f#ck around. Our rules or get lost....
Wow, that'd almost make me feel comfortable wrecking. Have the police given you guys a lot of trouble? If I were an officer I think I'd leave a group of "nine paramedics, four EMT's, a doctor, firefighters, and tons of military" even if they were doin stupid stuff.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:10 PM

We don't f#ck around. Our rules or get lost....

Finally some sense out there on the street...omg, I had no idea mature, responsible people rode sportbikes anymore...I thought the Joe Icon stunt runts had completely taken over...whew!

I still don't l i k e riding with more than two others, or so, and they have to be people I know well.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: thisismyacct

Wow, that'd almost make me feel comfortable wrecking. Have the police given you guys a lot of trouble? If I were an officer I think I'd leave a group of "nine paramedics, four EMT's, a doctor, firefighters, and tons of military" even if they were doin stupid stuff.
For the cops that know us personally we don't get much crap. If we do get pulled over we all pull over as a group no one leaves.(if they do there aren't allowed to ride again) More or less the rule on that is everyone takes there helmet off if you ha.ve one on, and we all get off our bikes and step away from them a little bit. Once the officer(s) comes around and starts looking at our id's he kinda starts looking li.ke a sad puppy dog, cause he knows he just pulled over the wrong group of riders to bother. Of course we start showing the military id's and most the medics have there state badges. All in all we don't get much crap.

I still ha.ve problems with the cops in my one tiny **** town, but that's cause they are a$$es, we only have five cops.In the year and a half that i've lived here I've only gotten one ticket. I was working on my brakes and for whatever reason when I was test driving it they still didn't wa.nt to wo.rk right. I en.ded up havi.ng to go off in so.me lady's yard, not even a scr.atch. But I was waiting on my b.uddy to br.ing his trai.ler wh.ere I was, and our chief of poli.ce came by and li.ke a dum.bass I told him wh.at hap.pened, I shou.ld ha.ve told him I just ran out of gas. He en.ded up wri.ting me a tic.ket for fai.ling to maint.ain con.trol or s.ome ****.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: voodoochyl

We have a couple of people that ride really fast. We usually split into two groups with those guys in the fast group (I hang in the second group), but the first wreck was a guy who thought he could handle the fast group. I just don't understand why people would want to push it so hard that they crash.

Within each group are the less skilled riders front or back? Regardless of what rules are set, human nature is such that if the more skilled riders are up front the less skilled in back will try to push it to keep up. Keep the less skilled up front imo.

Quick Reply: Another group ride, another crash...opinions