Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Fireman Arrested During Rescue

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fireman Arrested During Rescue

P.S. There is absolutely no reason to personally attack me, either. Thanks for that.

The OP was very clear about this not turning into a flame war of any kind and I have to say I'm very impressed with everyone so far... myself included!

However, it's unnecessary to challenge my intelligence on this subject or anything I've posted regarding it.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Banned

Terry - Welcome to the forums! Lots of good people here, stick around.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:29 PM
RCR

ORIGINAL: rrasco

Just came across an interesting news article...

http://cbs13.com/local/rate.a.cop.2.673410.html
Officer Hector Basurto, the vice president of the Latino Police Officers Association, recently learned about the site. "I'd like to see it gone," he said.

"Having a website like this out there puts a lot of law enforcement in danger," he said. "It exposes us out there."
Off topic: Why can't we have a "white police officers association"?

It sure does!!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:58 PM

Kidcr3nshaw it did sound like you attacked me but it's your opinion so I'm fine hearing you're explanation but you got defensive when Terry commented on you man it works both ways. Most people on here think the cop was wrong and thats just how it is. Are we all cop haters here no way I know several decent policemen but we are commenting on this situation only. I respect you're opinion though I disagree.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Banned

I do apologize then, Jackalo.

One last thing I will say here however...

Is that it's not a matter of opinion on whether or not the truck should have moved! It is a fact.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but you feel the way you do because you have never been trained in dealing with that exact scene - interstate traffic accident/enforcement - so how can you possibly draw a conclusion as to what would be the best plan of attack? Hell, HARDCORP can back me up on even this one...

When I was in the academy,we had 120 hours of STARS classtime. How can you possibly think your have have a valid opinion of accident procedures when you have admittedly had no training?

That would be like telling Nickey Hayden how he can improve in 2008 by watching him on the Speed Channel.

Again, I don't mean to sound condescending, however, I think it is important to recognize that while we (you guys) can certainly express an opinion on the retard cop, it is unfair todevelop an opinion on the placement of the firetruck (which is what started the whole incident).

While you also have the right to disagree, you'd be disagreeing with the US's accepted training requirements which is a proven, effective system for maintaining, effective on-sceneemergency management and reporting of accidents which all funnels into those fancy statistics you see every year on the new about the rate of accidents.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:25 AM

^^^ your missing the point ^^^ i dont care if he parked an aircraft carrier on the road, there was someone injured and being attended to, moving the truck is secondary to the well being of the accident victim. "your training didnt cover human compassion and logic did it? because your instincts should have told you that helping someone currently in need is priority" Plus if you cant move your car over 2 lanes when there is a wreck and big trucks with flashing lights you can move your *** off the road.....

Old 03-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: OKIEZAC

moving the truck is secondary to the well being of the accident victim.
That's exactly why the paramedic on the vic should hae left well enough alone and not left the victim to argue about truck placement. We've already established the vistim was being attended.

your training didnt cover human compassion and logic did it?
Now you're just being mean, and there is really no reason for personal attacks.

your instincts should have told you that helping someone currently in need is priority
Again, which is exactly why the medic should nothave left the victim once he made contact.

Plus if you cant move your car over 2 lanes when there is a wreck and big trucks with flashing lights you can move your *** off the road.....
I can't argue with that. Fact is, lights and sirens cause a great deal many accidents, and statistically speaking, the vast majority those accidents involve drivers under the influence. People get fixated and start to wander... similar to target fixation (which we can all relate to).

Unfortunately for you, nothing you can say can change the fact that, "traffic moving as expected" isworseversus,"traffic stopping abrubtly."

I really think it's completely plausible that we could keep this discussion civilized, in light of the display of, "coming together" that this forum has recently undergone, it's unfortunate that some of you guys are getting too worked up and resorting to name-calling and the like.

I'll admit, I'm usually the first to get worked up in these threads, and it's not surprising given the fact that I was a cop for 4 years. I just get frustrated because while I often agree with many of your opinions, I have a serious problem with how you are forming your opinions. No one ever said it was smart or wise to base an, off-handed opinion without at least a handfull of facts from each viewpoint. Knee-jerk reactions are overwhelmingly in favor of the quick-to-chime-in, and that's why places like YouTube have become so sucessfull. Anyone can see a million videos, some funny, some horrible, and some that get your blood pumping with anger.

All I am asking is that we at least be open to the idea that while you can take in a great deal of information from a 30 second video, it's impossible to know the whole story. With respect to law enforcement at least, there are tons of hours of training to endure that help teach people to do things a certain way.

This cop was not wrong to request the truck be moved.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Banned

I apologize, I meant traffic moving as expected is always better than traffic stopping abruptly.

One other thing I would like to add about your reference to, "instincts," Okiezac;

It isn't often that, "instincts" involve the best course of action. In fact, the few people who ever succesfully, "followed their instincts"in extreme situations are generally recognized for the fact.

What I'm saying is, just because it seems like the right thing to do at the time, "instincts"take a backseat to training. At some point your training will kick-in in an emergency situation, and that's why there are millions of dollars of tax payers money goingin to researching these training methods and later developing them into a S.O.P. (standard operation procedure).

Old 03-12-2008, 05:38 PM

Sorry about insulting you KidCr3nshaw......but I still think that cop was a moron and obviously the fact that he was aquitted AND given a nice check proves that your wrong

Old 03-12-2008, 05:48 PM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

Well, I'm sorry to dissapoint you, but keeping lanes clear is first order of business.

If someone is an idiot - a bright red fire truck in the middle of an otherwise clear lane isn't going to stop them from being their ignorant selves.

Honestly your comment just shows your inexperience.It's an example of someonelooking at something and making a judgement without all the facts. It may seem best to someone not trained in traffic enforcement and safety. But I assure you it makes the best sense.

Certainly more sense than parking a damn firetruck in the middle of the highway... lol.

Okie - unreal is about the only word to describe the whole thing.
Haha are you really saying that its better that someone run into the victim and all the paramedics on the scene......than into the back of a damn firetruck?

Quick Reply: Fireman Arrested During Rescue