Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

finally made the switch!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HenryM
I can tell none of you lot are Mac people. So much mis-information and assumed prejudice being spouted.
If you think that Macs are solely for graphic designers, old people and hippies then you've probably been walking around with your eyes shut for the last few years. Take a look at how many you see on TV in adverts and many other situations just for a start. Cancer research UK (for example) is a Mac based organisation. Those guys don't mess about and they need some serious computing power for the kind of scientific work they do.
Another interesting statistic....... in the computer market for computers that retail over £1000.00 Apple have a 98% market share.
I dunno..... maybe old people and hippies know something. He he!
Try Safari. You can download it for a PC too. Beats the **** out of any browser mentioned so far IMO although FF is probably a good second best.
Anyway, that my 2p worth. I'll stick to my Mac and its fantastic OS. I'd NEVER go back to a PC. I'd rather not have a computer at all.
I just used graphics as an example of how Macs arent limited. ever since Tiger came I out I've liked Macs, even on the old platform, but didnt like the OS prior to Tiger. Far as safari goes, its ok but I like Firefox better. Safari reminds me alot of ff tho lol.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't like Macs for a simple reason: I can't fix them. Something goes wrong and you have to send it to Apple.

Spilled beer on my HP laptop. Everything but the keyboard worked. Made a few calls, found a small shop that had a brand new keyboard. $50 and 1 hour later, back in action

Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
I just used graphics as an example of how Macs arent limited. ever since Tiger came I out I've liked Macs, even on the old platform, but didnt like the OS prior to Tiger. Far as safari goes, its ok but I like Firefox better. Safari reminds me alot of ff tho lol.
Hey man, it was an early rise this morning. I was just having a grumpy rant. We all get to this place somehow. I can't believe we're even having this conversation.
I reckon JP is getting paid by Bill Gates and his mates, or perhaps by Lord Jobs himself, to start wild fire debates about operating systems and computer hardware to instigate a rapid reconissance market research data intake. Why does the Mac vs PC thing come up so often? It's our nature. Catholic vs Protestant (and all other religious divisions) football teams, politics, just about bloody everything that represent opposite ends of the spectrum (football teams excepted).
Sometimes I'd just love to be an animal.
Anyway PG you're a funny guy. Thanks for making me smile. Each to their own browsing mallet.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Don't like Macs for a simple reason: I can't fix them. Something goes wrong and you have to send it to Apple.

Spilled beer on my HP laptop. Everything but the keyboard worked. Made a few calls, found a small shop that had a brand new keyboard. $50 and 1 hour later, back in action
No you don't. You apply the same logic as you do to fixing your bike and do it yourself.
The only difference is that the screws are a hell of a lot smaller.
Don't ever be afraid of going into a Mac. They're made tough and as a result they're easy to fix, if you set your mind to the right set of tolerances.

There are also a lot of independant shops that can fix Macs pretty quickly these days if you're in a real hurry. I've sent computers off to Mac before under the apple care scheme and they've been back to me within 3 days.

Damn, now you're going to think it's mee getting paid to do a Gate Job...... get it.....boom boom!

Old 01-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey man, it was an early rise this morning. I was just having a grumpy rant. We all get to this place somehow. I can't believe we're even having this conversation.
I reckon JP is getting paid by Bill Gates and his mates, or perhaps by Lord Jobs himself, to start wild fire debates about operating systems and computer hardware to instigate a rapid reconissance market research data intake. Why does the Mac vs PC thing come up so often? It's our nature. Catholic vs Protestant (and all other religious divisions) football teams, politics, just about bloody everything that represent opposite ends of the spectrum (football teams excepted).
Sometimes I'd just love to be an animal.
Anyway PG you're a funny guy. Thanks for making me smile. Each to their own browsing mallet.

No you don't. You apply the same logic as you do to fixing your bike and do it yourself.
The only difference is that the screws are a hell of a lot smaller.
Don't ever be afraid of going into a Mac. They're made tough and as a result they're easy to fix, if you set your mind to the right set of tolerances.

There are also a lot of independant shops that can fix Macs pretty quickly these days if you're in a real hurry. I've sent computers off to Mac before under the apple care scheme and they've been back to me within 3 days.

Damn, now you're going to think it's mee getting paid to do a Gate Job...... get it.....boom boom!
+1 I've worked on n even modded Macs b4, same concept n even more so now the Macs use intel, they're just highend PCs with the MacOS.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:06 PM

And a delicious sk

Old 01-11-2011, 01:07 PM

skin, i meant. Shot too early there!

Old 01-11-2011, 01:15 PM

Did not see the likelihood of this one taking off. Lol

Old 01-11-2011, 01:54 PM

There's no end to life's rich tapestry J. I think it's about buried its nose in the ground now rather than taken off. How about starting a thread about crochet, or compost making....

Old 01-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Far more comfortable pulling apart PCs. I'd be afraid if I pulled open a Mac, I'd find Jobs' Soul Collection Capacitor on the MB somewhere. Besides, I've been dealing with hardware so long I remember when it was easier to take a hammer to your Mac and buy a new one than get it serviced. Wasn't very office friendly from a support standpoint, having to deprive a user of their computer for weeks to do a simple upgrade / fix.

And the lack of native support by game / software developers (yes I know I could dual boot with windows but at that point, why not buy a windows PC?). For simple internet browsing, I have an iPad (when I can pry it out of my girlfriend's hands) But when I need to get serious, I turn on the Windows laptop (or grab my girlfriend's laptop now collecting dust).

Addendum: there's far more money in Windows support than Mac support. It may be because the PCs need more support (not really). It also could be because there are far more Windows based PCs in the home / business environment than Macs

Quick Reply: finally made the switch!