Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Field Sheer Armadillo VS Icon Field Armor

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Field Sheer Armadillo VS Icon Field Armor

I'm was looking in to getting some armor that i could wear under a hoodie and jeans, I was originally looking at the Icon Field armor Vest, Elbows and Legs until I can accross the 2010 Fieldsheer armadillo set, they look pretty much the same, but I did read one bad review about the velcro coming loose on the fieldsheer vest (could have just been a bum review though). Anyway I did find a lot of good reviews for the Icon stuff but didn't find much on the fieldsheer, anyone have any experience with the armadillo armor? right now there is a great deal for the armadillo armor $135 shipped for the elbows,Vest and legs.. the icon stuff will cost me over $200 for their set. I own a fieldsheer corsair jacket right now and it seems to be decent quality... any suggestions?

Old 10-02-2009, 10:10 AM
December 2011 ROTM

I have been interested in armor as well. Here is another one that has my interest.

http://www.bohnarmor.com/

Old 10-02-2009, 10:37 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Armour is great for impact protection , but once you've hit the ground your gonna slide .

Your 'Hoodie' will last about 0.0001 seconds , after that you'll be down to skin with the road sharpening the edges of your armour to inflict some nice deep lacerations

There's a reason bike gear is designed the way it is and from the materials they use

Just my 2cnts , we all make our own choices , I'm a gear junkie 'cos I don't like to bleed

Old 10-02-2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Armour is great for impact protection , but once you've hit the ground your gonna slide .

Your 'Hoodie' will last about 0.0001 seconds , after that you'll be down to skin with the road sharpening the edges of your armour to inflict some nice deep lacerations

There's a reason bike gear is designed the way it is and from the materials they use

Just my 2cnts , we all make our own choices , I'm a gear junkie 'cos I don't like to bleed

Yea that's exactly why I have my textile also, just looking for something for lower speeds around town, I'm no Moto GP guy. Trust me I wrecked a suped up "go ped" at 35 mph a few years back in cargo shorts and a t shirt, no helmet.. didn't put me in the hospital but I was pretty bloody lol. The icon and fieldsheer armor both also claim they are abraision resistant also so when the hoodie wears through I'll still have a little something there. I just don't want to put on full leathers and look like a power ranger just to run around my local streets at 35-45 mph. If anyone has seen the fieldsheer armadillo armor in person let me know.

But True dat.... lol, it's never fun to bleed and road rash is a biiiootch.

Last edited by Ricer Rob; 10-02-2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelln sucks
Old 10-02-2009, 07:31 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the rant Rob

To be honest I was thinking along the same lines untill someone pointed out the drawbacks. But if that Armadillo can offer some abrasion protection it may be OK .

It may be worth doing an online search for your nearest stockist/dealer , if your lucky they might not be too far away . Or even ask on a few of the other biker sites

Old 10-03-2009, 02:03 PM

I wear these Alpinestars knee/shin guards under jeans and under leathers. They're super comfortable and stay put pretty well. The best part is that they are only $29! As for the hoodie, I think that's a bad idea but I wear my leather jacket everywhere I go. Asphalt at 45 mph will shred your cotton hoodie with the quickness! The minimum gear that I will wear is my leather jacket, knee/shin guards under jeans, boots, gloves and helmet. It's just not worth the risk to me to wear less. I wore my leather jacket through the summer in 100 degree heat commuting in the traffic. Sweat cleans off much easier than blood!

Old 01-17-2010, 09:19 PM

i really like how the icon field armor looks, especially with a hoodie but honestly i think don't want my arms to be all bleeding if i go down. I'd wear the icon field armor under myjacket just for some extra protection. thats just me though.