Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Feedback requested on body work repairs

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Feedback requested on body work repairs

Received my insurance money and I`m looking for your thoughts on the following: [ul][*]OEM fairing and OEM Decals[*]Fiberglass total replacement with OEM Decals and design[*]Fiberglass total replacement with Custom Paint[/ul]
The primary piece that needs to be replaced is the upper right. The lowers, can be doctored, but with a lot of work.

I have the opportunity to do a full fairing replacement at slightly more than the single OEM fairing. I`m thinking of going that route and doing a custom paint job instead of going the OEM look. My original idea was doing a metallic blue with the big, silver honda wings...but I'm not so sure. Ideas on paint jobs? I`m kind of conservative in my colors and prefer darker colors over brighter, though I was considering using Tapeworks reflective tape for accents, should I go this route. I`ll be doing 100% of the work.

(pics forthcoming)
Right side
Lower fairings rashed. Upper fairings practically falling apart, Muffler scratched up pretty bad.

Left side (earlier low side)
Lower fairings slightly rashed, stator cover needs replacing.

Tail
Scratched up before buying...no idea how.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Feedback requested on body work repairs

Hard to tell here...but the top of the upper fairing is cracked from front to back in multiple spots.
(Larger link)

Upper Right...there is a hole there...

Out of focus...but the right indicator is held on by a shoestring

Lower Right

Lower right

Access Cover Right

Lower Left unrelated damage

Old 07-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of those are pretty rough. Imo i would get an upper off ebay or something so you can ride it again at least. The rest looks cosmetic at this point. Look around at some pics, write down some ideas, then decide from there. As long as you can keep riding, you have time to make amore thought outdecision.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT BUY FIREBERGLASS

they will flex and crack, my F4i the custom one in my pic has a fiberglass tail and it's flexed so much the paint cracked in a few places i had to buy an oem one and repaint it.. so do yourself a favor unless you track the bike and dont care how it looks if you want the paint to look good dont buy fiberglass

Old 07-22-2008, 12:31 AM

Depends on how important the money is. If it were me, I would save it and buy a few good, used OEM pieces on ebay and call it a day. Patiently waiting beats working feverishly, literally hands down. Once in a w h i l e, lightning strikes and someone puts up NOS parts (New Old Stock) for the same price as used.

If the money is not so important, OEM replacement is much better for resale value...except, wait, the money wouldn't matter, so, whatever. Aftermarket fairings and paint work says only one thing to me: this bike has crashed hard.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:11 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ great advice

Also consider this ..an old F2 doesn't have such great value now ... well they dont over here anyway ...so the main thing for you is just fixing it and putting it back on the road and simply riding it!! :-) so however you achieve this now whether OEM route or cheaper aftermarket route doesnt matter so much as you simply just getting it back on the road and soon so you can ride it ..

That said I am fussy ... I lik.e OEM and keeping things standard ..but thats just me!! ;-)

Jules

Old 07-22-2008, 09:57 AM

You forgot about plan "D" Repair what you can yourself and save a lot of money. If your going to be repainting the bike, you may as well try and repair what you have. I've done this on my F3 and it really wasn't too hard. For all my rash I used a 3M plastic repair quick set sandable epoxy. That stuff was about $30 and I have a lot left over yet. And for all my cracks, I used a rigid Plexus plastic epoxy that also sets fast and is sandable. Got that from work so price doesn't really count there.

If your interested in going that route I can help set you up, just PM me.