Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Faded Scott's Damper

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faded Scott's Damper

Hey i know that Scott's Anodizes their dampers. But the one i got is faded and looks ugly. Does anyone know if you are able to anodize it again to restore it? Anyone tried this, and if so how did it turn out?

Old 02-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Faded Scott's Damper

Pics?

I'm sure you can respray anodized paint over it, but that all depends on how good your rattle-can skills are.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:49 AM

http://www.thirdgen.org/anodizealuminum

this is a tech article from a forum i havent been on since i was 17. (Trans Am was my first car). Re-anodize the part yourself. Scotts dampners can be disassembled.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:49 AM

Huh?? Did you just say "spray" and "anodized paint" in the same sentence?

Anodizing is, in essence, chemically staining the metal.

There are a series of processes the part goes through in order to achieve the stain.

It has absolutely nothing to do with paint.

Yes it can be done again, yes there are companies that you can contact for this.

Keep in mind the entire damper is coming apart to do this. It has to be just the metal pieces you want stained and nothing else.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:23 AM

ill give u 50 bucks for your faded one...for you to put towards a new, shiny one.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:23 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Apologies. I was thinking of the "Metalcast Anodized-look Paint" that's available. Not actual anodizing, but rather a quick fix. I should have worded it differently.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:37 AM

bergs, that is being asinine. I think we all knew what fox meant.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:32 AM
RCR

ORIGINAL: bergs

Huh?? Did you just say "spray" and "anodized paint" in the same sentence?

Anodizing is, in essence, chemically staining the metal.

There are a series of processes the part goes through in order to achieve the stain.

It has absolutely nothing to do with paint.

Yes it can be done again, yes there are companies that you can contact for this.

Keep in mind the entire damper is coming apart to do this. It has to be just the metal pieces you want stained and nothing else.
Did you say "stain" Isn't that what you do to a fence or your cat does to your carpet?

Chemically etching and bonding a color to the metal is anodizing. We all know what Fox was saying.

LOL just had to throw it back at ya!!!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:48 AM

Thanks i know i'll have to disassemble it. I was thinking about doing that anyways to replace the oil. I just wasn't sure if it was worth the effort to make it look new again? I was thinking about changing the color of it, but then again i know anodize isn't paint and can't simply be lifted off and a new coat applied. So i'm not sure if color change is possible, and if the parts that aren't faded going to be a different color shade compared to the faded parts? But i think i have a local anodize place, i remember going there many years ago and seeing them do all these metal pieces hanging. Thanks everyone for your input

Old 02-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Banned

Chemically etching and bonding a color to the metal is anodizing.
Well almost. Having anodized thousands of Mil-Spec parts.... Anodizing is an electrolytic passivation process that build up a oxide layer. This oxide layer tends to be harder and more stable than the substrate. Our process was ,degrease, Pickle (acid wash/etch), alodine (Hex chrome wash), then Anodize with corresponding rinses in between. The color is applied by dying the new oxide layer. After that a sealer is probably used.

With that said, doing one part really cant be done, but maybe strip and powder coat after disassembly for some parts and rattle can for the others.

Quick Reply: Faded Scott's Damper