Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Everybody Please Read!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everybody Please Read!

I want to start by explaining a few things. I am General Manager for Advance Auto Parts by day and I have my own small bike shop by night. Every year Advance sells "tennis shoes"(you know the ones they sell at gas station for donations) to raise money for JDRF(Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation).

I dont know if anyone on here is familiar with this but if you are, then you know how serious it is. We had a District meeting today and they had two boys that have diabetes and they walked us through a day in their life. They also talked about the complications such as seizures and things.

Anyways, on top of selling our shoes, we were asked to step outside our stores and reach out to our communities(and even though most people on here do not know me, I still consider this my community) to help raise additonal funds. One of our general managers has started a golf benefit(and if anyone on here plays and our in the Indy area you can contact me if you would like to play), while others are doing their own small things.

I would like to ask, if it is allowed, for members on here to donate to help this awesome cause. I have been selling these shoes for almost ten years but today was different. I met an 8 year old boy who was brave enough to stand in front of 20+ starngers and speak about a disease that threatens his life everyday. Now that me and my wife have our first child on the way in puts things into perspective.

We have partnered with JDRF for 14 years, and out of the 4 million dollars they get every year, Advance is responsoble for over 50% every year. Last year was 2.2 million dollars. Our goal this year is 3 million.

I am asking that anyone who wants to help this cause send only $1. I can assure each and everyone of you who donate that 100%(except what paypal may take for fees) will go directly to JDRF. If you would like to donatemore feel free. If you are worried that I may be scamming anyone, please at least, stop into your local Advance Auto Parts after August 27th and buy a shoe. We have $1, $5, $25, and $50 and I am personally buying a $50. Thanks for reading if you still are. And if you want to donate anything send it to CycleWorx@Live.com. Thanks again!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 09:43 PM

Thanks. I understand everyone's hesitance but I can assure that this 100% legit. I never felt so strongly about this until I actually met one of the kids the foundation helps, plus me and my wife are expecting our first and it makes you think, "That could be us soon". I hope we can make some money for these kids.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't send money over the internet wires to anyone I don't know (and no offense to you Doug--I believe you to be trustworthy), but I will certainly go and donate/buy the shoes at local Advanced autoparts on or after August 27th to help out.

To me, anything to help children out is a great cause!

Old 08-23-2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by supersnake83
I don't send money over the internet wires to anyone I don't know (and no offense to you Doug--I believe you to be trustworthy), but I will certainly go and donate/buy the shoes at local Advanced autoparts on or after August 27th to help out.

To me, anything to help children out is a great cause!
I am glad you will buy a shoe or two. My reason for posting this is because not everyone shops at Advance Auto Parts but there are alot of people who like to help foundations such as JDRF. This is my way of reaching out to the people we may miss.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doug355gta
I am glad you will buy a shoe or two. My reason for posting this is because not everyone shops at Advance Auto Parts but there are alot of people who like to help foundations such as JDRF. This is my way of reaching out to the people we may miss.
Advanced Auto parts stores are awesome. I shop there all of the time (well, when in need of car repair or maintenance). I only wish I knew of this program/sponsorship before as I would have donated before too.

Thanks.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:23 PM

Every September we start selling the paper shoes and we tape them on our windows and in our stores for the entire month.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:26 PM

advanced is right down the street from me i didnt know they did this but i promise you this week ill be there buying some shoes thanks for the info.