Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Ear Plugs anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ear Plugs anyone?

Try the EAR brand disposable ear plugs. They are great, they really tone down all the loud stuff but still let you hear people talk and hear traffic.......wind noise is pretty much gone though........and thats what hurts your hearing so bad......

Old 10-23-2008, 11:09 PM

use plugs and can still hearc tracfffic , the bike and people talking, wind noise is reducedand the bikes harmonic resonance is a non ishue

Old 10-24-2008, 12:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Proper plugs will actually let you hear more traffic, but less wind.

What happens is when the noise level is too high, the brain turns the volume down... so things like cars can't be heard over the roar.

Good earplugs filter out the noise... and what's left is more quiet. This allows the brain to leave the volume up, relax, and hear as well as it did without the plugs.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Love the sound of my bike too much. No plugs or ipods for me no matter how long a trip.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:46 AM

the only time ive ever put anything in my ears was on my trip to norcal and thats only because on the way up my mind started to wonder a bit. so i threw my ipod in 1 ear helped me concentrate better..other then that i pretty much ride with my visor up unless im doing 75+ the sound doesnt bother me i really like being able to hear everything, it soothes me..blocking it out seems to takes one of the best parts of riding away..i really dont think it effects hearing that much, but i shoot for a living and i dont always use ear pro..as far as plugs go, i dont think there is really ne disposable plug i.e the foam ones that do what you guys are saying..because they work by no **** blocking your ear, so its not going to let some in and dampen others, especially if you put them in properly. the only ones i know of our 1's that are similar to peltors and those are muffs and electronic so, out of the question for a helmet. also surefire makes some bad *** earbud type ear pro. http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/.../376/sesent/00
the really bad *** ones are almost a grand, but the $13 ones work pretty good thats what i use in tactical environments (when i dont forget). the make communication easy and block out louder "harmful" noises. i dont know that they would block out wind noise and what not but they may. and they are re useable ive had the same set for the last year, clean them every once in awhile with hand sanitizer. i know this was long as hell, hope it helps.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damage to your hearing is very ordinary, nothing worse than a constant high pitched whine in your head when your trying to get to sleep (Tinnitus). I wear ear pugs on most rides now, although the damage is already done.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:51 AM

ipod full blast with good metal playing sorry no ear plugs here

Old 10-24-2008, 04:19 AM

I've got just a bit of tinitus in my right ear...... the sound of rushing air is listied as the most damaging sound for your hearing, its above gun shots and 2 cycle engines. I've used every kind of ear protection out there because I work in a noisy, protection required environment. E.A R. brand plugs are the best for me. No wind noise.....and can still hear what I need to hear.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:33 AM

yea, i used to listen to my ipod, now i stuff my ears w/ ear plugs, much more enjoyable ride

Old 10-24-2008, 06:43 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Ear plugs are really a must ..I use those Earsoft ones like sqeezable foam, you dont know you have them in and the comfort factor versus not using them is amazing ..they dont stop or keep out traffic noise or your bikes engine but they just nicely take the "edge" of it all and also MORE IMPORTANTLY do wonders for the wind roar ..its the wind roar that damages your ears and not your engine noise ..before I used plugs I would feel very fatigued and headachy after a long fast run ..now I get off calm and refreshed :-)

Jules

Quick Reply: Ear Plugs anyone?