Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Ear Plugs anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ear Plugs anyone?

Just a general question for you guys... Do any of you ride with ear plugs? I was thinking of it the other day. I left town to look at some new trucks for my brother, and we rode about 30 minutes out. Sometime along the way I started thinking to myself, "Self? Why is this bike louder than hell?" Anyways, I have a Yoshi pipe on my 600RR, and I like the way it sounds, but the loudness factor really got to me on Sunday. I will be going about 75mph, and there is a harmonic resonance that tickles my inner ear at that certain rpm.

This can't be good for me, or anyone for that matter. I love riding, but I think I am gonna switch back to the OEM exhaust for a while and keep my ears open for a good looking and modest sounding pipe. I say keep my ears open because this time I want to hear the pipe before I buy one. Sound clips never sound good, and you cannot tell how loud they really are. On another note, I leave for work at 6:30 am and I don't want to be that guy with the loud things that wake people.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ear Plugs anyone?

Every ride - even with a quiet pipe. It's not just the pipe, but the wind noise. Your brain shuts it outs, but it's still loud, and it still causes damage.

My hearings been damaged already... now I'm more careful.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:52 PM

I get a lot of noise with my air tools at work, so i guess I don't need to speed up the process any more than I already have.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:56 PM

I wear plugs on long rides. if my going around town I leave em out. I do it for the wind factor..

Old 10-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:24 PM

No ear plugs or Ipod ever. I like being able to hear the bike and traffic. I think the wind noise is calming.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:31 PM

I listen to my Zune in one ear only so I can still hear my exhaust and traffic conditions.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:16 PM

My exhaust is real loud, i tried earplugs and swore they made it louder. It was as if all the vibrations were stuck between my ears and the plugs. I tuck in behined the windsheild and ride without earplugs, cant stand them.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:20 PM

I really didn't plan to use any ear plugs truthfully. I was just wondering if everyone was really truly happy with having a loud bike and how they deal with it. My helmet blocks sound pretty well, and I can still hear traffic, but there is a certain note at certain rpms from my exhaust that, to me, is like when you are traveling down the interstate in a car, and one rear window is down or something along those lines. I have already reinstalled the OEM exhaust. I never ride with an ipod either.

Quick Reply: Ear Plugs anyone?