Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dropped helmet need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped helmet need help!!!

So this morning on my way to work warming up the bike i hear a crash and my helmet falls off my seat on the driveway. I have worn this helmet 1 time before it is the nolan x-801r. Pretty pricey piece and i want to know if it is still usable. It hit right where the air bubbles are molded onto the top of the helmet. just some chipping on that part but no noticable cracks. My question is can i still use it!!!??? i know its somewhat an opinion but i dont want to be out 250 bucks for a stupid mistake and having used it once.

http://nolanhelmets.com/x801r.htm

please help!
thanks to all

Old 03-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Default RE: Dropped helmet need help!!!

There will be a ton of opinions... I know that even I myself have gotten into a crazy amount of arguments on this topic... so here's what it'll boil down too.

[ol][*]I (Personally) think it's PROBABLY okay, but it's your head in that helmet, not mine. I would never feel quite right until I replaced it because I want that piece of mind... and a helmet really is a "One Use" item. I would buy another one when money permitted, or I would send it in to be analyzed.[*]If you want to keep the helmet and be sure, again, send it in to be checked by the company.[*]The issue will be spilt 50/50. People say everything from "I got hit in the helmet by a baseball bat and it's still fine" to "It fell off the coffee table on carpet, I'm going to check it to be sure".[*]The best thing you can do is use google and get all the evidence you can, then make your own call. It's YOUR melon in that thing, so in the end, your decision is all that maters. Be as informed as you can be, and make your choice.[/ol]Good luck!

Oh... and if you want to see my big throw-down argument that sums up my thoughts on the helmet issue (With tons of helpful helmet links mixed in)... feel free to buckle down and go ==>HERE<==

Old 03-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Banned

It may not be the smartest thing to do, but I would wear it. It probably isn't as unsafe as we are led to believe so maybe someone knows of a reliable way to inspect it.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:42 PM

Pull the padding out and see if there are any cracks in the foam. I know you are not a helmet inspector, but you can at least take a look. I would say it's ok, but you never know. I try to never set my helmet on the bike just for this reason. It's not so much the shell of the helmet gets damaged it's the foam impact liner that get damaged in the hit.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:56 PM

I would still wear it. To me a 33" fall is not going to compromise theeffectiveness of the helmet. That my op.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Banned

Go to court!

Seriously...

Go to any courthouse with an x-ray machine. Walk inside, inquire with the officer reviewing the x-rays. Be nice, thank them and feel better about your expensive helmet saving your head!

Old 03-19-2008, 01:30 PM

^^ can you see the cracks?? (if any)

Old 03-19-2008, 01:33 PM
VP

It's your head... but I think it's fine. I wouldn't wear one that had been in a crash but a simple drop from a few feet seems okay to me.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:40 PM

[:@]Doh!!!!

I think I remember this happening to somebodies shoei, a few months ago or something.

I would say its probably fine, but I am no expert, so i dont know.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:40 PM

Talk with your manufacter to see if they offer inspections. If so do that. If not, talk to a dealership and find a place that will do the inspection. Thats the only way to be certain. Its said......

A fall from an average mans waistline is said to compromise the integrity of a helmet.

In the mean time, take it easy and start saving for a new one.

Goodluck!

Quick Reply: Dropped helmet need help!!!