Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

dmv ride test

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: dmv ride test

ORIGINAL: HAVOC

so i got to thinking today that no one i know who has taken the dmv ride test (here in cali) has passed. even the instructor in charge said "most people who take this on anything bigger then a 250 will fail."

it made me really think when was that ride test invented? when you come up with that answer then you should think... what kinds of bikes were around at that time. when whomever was designing that damn course im sure they didnt have it in mind with the bikes of today .

i really think they should re design the test to make it more practicle forthe rider. it just seems that with the way everything else evolves that they shouldnt keep the same test. what was once the standard is now outdated.

imo it keeps people from getting legit. i know i cant pass the dmv test on my 9RR so im forced to goto the MSF course. which i have no problem doing (in fact i think it would be fun) but it sucks that here in cali for a rider over the age of 21 its $235.00 and someone under 21 its only $150.00. the sate of CA really should sponsor that program so that it gives teh chance for everyone on a motorcycle to learn PROPER RIDING TECHNIQUE. i think if this happened we wouldnt have so many fatalities and deffinetly we would have a lesser # of squids !

ive been riding forprobably over a year now and i would say i am agood rider.i could kill the dmv test no problem except for that damn circle test ! lolill try and goto dmv tommorrow and snap a pixof it so you can see what im talkin about. but its just a pain in the ***.

anyways thanks for listening to mebitch haha
No personal offense intended...but that is f***ed up.

You need to move from the land of fruits and nuts out there and spend some time really riding.

Expereince in the real world will teach you more than having to do 15mph around a bunch of cones in a parking lot.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:54 AM
RCR

I never had to take the test in Cali (1987), I had an endorsement from Idaho and when I took the written test for Cali the person that graded my test (which I passed) asked my what kind of bike I rode. I told him a V-65 Magna 1100 and he laughed and said it will never pass the driving test. He then asked me how long I had been riding it. Almost two years and he just wrote PASSED on the sheet.

Either he was way cool or didn't want to waste his time standing outside. Either way I was happy.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:20 AM

I took and passed on the first attempt the test in missouri seven years ago. I have since moved to california and have heard how hard the test is. I took my 929 and my roommates took their R6 and 954. It is impossible for either of the three bikes to successfully make it around that circle. If you are going to have a test, you should make it passable IMO

Old 12-16-2007, 11:40 AM

Yea last year when i took the test on the f3 i failed, This year i retook it with the 900 and passed with one missed point.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Banned

I am fairly sure even now I couldn't get a perfect score on the riding test with my 600, BUT, maybe the test assumes that most new riders will start off on something less than a 600+ sportbike. Also any bike is easy to handle at 25MPH, but under 10 it can be a bitch for noobs. I think you should consider us lucky that we aren't legislated to start off on 125cc starter bikes for a year and then upgrade to something bigger. If you want to reduce squids, then don't let relative noobs ride 600+ sportbikes. Too bad you have to go through the hassle of MSF, but it is fun for extreme noobs, you'll hate it.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:13 AM

I have a question for those who took the dmv test...

Does the guy look at your bike really strictly, I mean does he comment on blinkers, exhaust, or any other mods most of us do to our bikes?

Idon'twant to pay $300 forsome stupid course in a parking lot. I would much rather take the damn test myself, but I was worried how serious those guys look at your bike.
I have aftermarketblinkers, exhaust, and I don't know if he will look at my bike and tell me to go home and get new blinkers or that the exhaust is somehow illegal.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:45 AM

The test in Ohio is not easy, but not to hard if you know how to ride and pratice when they are closed. I pased my the first time on my buddys Zongshen 250 Sport bike. His 250 turnd worse then my CBR, but since it was under 400cc then made me do the smaller turn so I got 5 points knocked off for that, but aced the rest and passed the first time. I went back when they were closed whenIgot the CBR and did it better then I did on the 250. The MSF is only $25.00 here, but hard to get into. Some dealers charge 200-400 for the same class.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:01 PM
RCR

ORIGINAL: JakesF2

Does the guy look at your bike really strictly, I mean does he comment on blinkers, exhaust, or any other mods most of us do to our bikes?

Idon'twant to pay $300 forsome stupid course in a parking lot. I would much rather take the damn test myself, but I was worried how serious those guys look at your bike.
I have aftermarketblinkers, exhaust, and I don't know if he will look at my bike and tell me to go home and get new blinkers or that the exhaust is somehow illegal.
IF they start questioning ya to hard jump on your bike andout run the DMV po-po's[sm=burnout.gif]

Old 12-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

ORIGINAL: JakesF2

the bike must be street legal according to local laws . so to answer your question yes they will over look your bike and if it doesnt pass local laws they will fail you on the spot.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I believe that the circle is about12ft in circumfrence which is about the size ofaregular traffic lane.As far as that test,yes most people will fail with larger bikes because of the gearing.Ihave done it three times in my 20+ years of riding.The first time was on an old yamaha 400 no problem,second F4i I failed,Third borrowed friends Ex 500 and passed.Most people on Harleys have failed,way to heavy.But I seen one guy use a scooter for his test and past very easily.I told him that that was cheating and he said he used it only to pass the test. His real bike was a GSXR 1000.Dmv instructor said that it was ok to use that bike as long ashe passed the M1 written test.As far as their inspection they just look to make sure everything works.Blinkers,horn,choke,on off switch,headlights and brakes,plus basic hand signals.

Quick Reply: dmv ride test