Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

digital cable and computer nerd question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default digital cable and computer nerd question

I have a digital cable box with built-in DVR. I noticed that my box has several USB and firewire ports on it, so I thought maybe I could hook it up to my computer and burn onto DVD the shows/movies I had saved on the box's harddisk. Windows recognized that I had a new USB device plugged in, but when I went to My Computer no new drive showed up in the listing. This did not surprise me as I am sure it is protected in some way.
My question this: is there any way to get around this? I would love to be able to burn my recorded stuff onto DVD so I can make room for new shows. I don't want to do anything "illegal," but if anyone knows about a loophole or hack to get around this (legally of course) please let me know. BTW, my DVR is a Motorola DCT66412 III

Old 11-16-2006, 08:54 PM
VP
Default RE: digital cable and computer nerd question

did you thoroughly shake the dvr before you plugged it in? You have to really put some elbow into it and just shake it like a British nanny. otherwise all the data will be stuck in the back (*where you can't get it)

Old 11-16-2006, 09:01 PM

WTF kinda response is that? I asked a legitimate question. Is it possible or not? Jesus

Old 11-16-2006, 09:04 PM

But to answer your question, yes, I did shake it like a British nanny. I even threw it up against the wall and it still didn't work.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:10 PM

I know you can with Tivo, but not sure about cable DVR's. You should call your cable company.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:10 PM

well if you do what he said ^^^...have fun on hold!

Old 11-16-2006, 10:42 PM
VP

WTF kinda response is that? I asked a legitimate question. Is it possible or not? Jesus
Yeah it's totally legitimate but I'm an ******* and when I don't know the answer to questions I just fart around like I know what I'm talking about. Hope it didn't get you too excited when you saw a response. Good luck with it though...[sm=imsorry.gif]

Old 11-16-2006, 10:50 PM

sorry to say you can not i work for a cable company the only way to do it is buy a dvd burner run it though the dvr and recored. you will have to skip the first 10 sec of the show and then record or else the video and sound will be off about 10-20 secs apart on ppv and on demand movies normal tv channels should just burn fine but it all depends on the company, they have them crypted. What company do you have? i might be able to find out the codes to get it to work for you.

or

if your computer has windows media center run it though the dvr and then the computer make sure the output from the dvr is going to the computer that will let you watch what the box is watching and record all again if they just did a new secrurity upgrade you might need the new codes to make it play normal or else it will be a choppy and video and sound will be way off but i can figure it out. but give it a shot and let me know.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Old 11-16-2006, 11:12 PM

see that would only work for normal cable not digital ( hbo showtime starz ) thats were you will need to use your computer to find the right format and codes so everthing would work.

Quick Reply: digital cable and computer nerd question