Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Did I do a boo boo????

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I do a boo boo????

I'm selling one of my bikes and I just took it off of my insurance because I'm tired of paying for a bike I dont ride. The lady told me to contact my local DMV to let them now so I dont get fined. Then I get on a DMV.org and under registration for cars under registration transfer it says the vehicle must be insured.

1. Did I make a boo boo and should I put it back on my insurance.

2. What does the DMV do when you tell them you took your insurance off?

Old 07-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Default RE: Did I do a boo boo????

i don't think so. Your not transfering your selling it. I would call your dmv and ask about it. And You might leave out that you already yanked the insurance. Unless the ask about it specifficaly. I wouldn't lie to the dmv.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:32 PM

So I guess I should say "Does a motorcycle need to be insured when selling it?"

Old 07-26-2007, 09:45 PM

If insurance is required on motorcycles in your state, it must be insured as long as it is registered. If you turn in the plate, then you dont have to have it insured, however, if you keep it registered and keep the place and take it off your insurance (and insurance is required), your license will get suspended or revoked.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:49 PM

Dangit, I got to looking and the reg has my old address. I have to renew it before I can sell it dont I?

Old 07-26-2007, 09:53 PM

Here in Colorado it ONLY has to be insured if your driving it on the roads. If your not using it I think it would be silly to insure it. Who cares if it has insurance while it sits in your garage? When people come over to look at it tell them its not insured before they test ride, I'd even pull the plates and tell them its not registered, and if they get stopped its on them. Make them insure it after they buy it. just my .02

Old 07-26-2007, 09:54 PM

Not technically, you can say its your parents house or something, but sometimes DMV's wont care and thay will make you register it to your current address.SO maybe, maybe not.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:57 PM

ORIGINAL: D2DGraphix_600RR

Not technically, you can say its your parents house or something, but sometimes DMV's wont care and thay will make you register it to your current address.SO maybe, maybe not.

I dont mind. I did move and I'm living with my mother for the time being till I can get enough saved up to get a place of my own. I just dont want to sell the bike and the person registers the bike and I get a big slap from the DMV saying it wasn't insured and the address is different. The old address is still owned by my father.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:00 PM

Dude its really no big deal you'll be ok, its the DMV not the FBI

Old 07-26-2007, 10:00 PM

You should be fine then (as far as registration goes). Like I said, if your state requires insurance, and you canceled the insurance, and you dont turn in the tag, it can get your license suspended.