Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Did I do a boo boo????

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Did I do a boo boo????

I am not trying to argue, nor am I mad, I was just saying that the state check often. All they do is check with your last insurance company on file (or putin a blind search under your name). IF nothing comes up, sometimes you get a letter you need to provide the DMV with proof. Thats all. Its not like they search and search, justa random process. No hard feelings bad, sorry if I came across that way.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: mccannf3

my editing can't keep up with your posts. don't get your panties in a bunch, i'm sorry you work for the state, not trying to argure, but here in colorado the DMV is processing over 1500 new registrations each week, they seem pretty busy. Good lookin out for ranger scott, if he is really that worred get it insured again, or sell it? just my .02

I am trying to sell it.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:25 PM

Worst case scenario dude, you get a letter in the mail to provide proof of insurance, you call your insurance and reinstate it, then bring it to the DMV. I wouldnt worry about it if you think you can sell it in a month or so.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:27 PM

ORIGINAL: D2DGraphix_600RR

Worst case scenario dude, you get a letter in the mail to provide proof of insurance, you call your insurance and reinstate it, then bring it to the DMV. I wouldnt worry about it if you think you can sell it in a month or so.

Cool. I just hate calling the DMV. I remember when I got a ticket in another county and talked to 3 different ladies and they all gave me different info.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:28 PM

Haha, yea, they sure do know how to give people the run around in most DMVs....

Old 07-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Well i dont know what the min is for your state, but maybe you could just keep (i think) just liability. Its insured in case of spontanious combustion while you sell it, but since your not driving it why do you need collision or anything more then that.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:08 PM

Every state is different, you're in Texas...so here's the Texas law:

To operate a motor vehicle on the roadways,to have asafety inspection performed, or to renew registration, you must show proof of financial responsibility. The state does not technically require insurance, but "financial responsibility." If you don't want to post a $55,000 bond with the county or the state comptroller, insurance is easier. Large corporations, for instance, can be self-insured. If you're not operating the vehicle on public roadways, you don't have to have it.

Texas does not keep a list or record who you have insurance with unless you have been previously fined or convicted of "Failure to Maintain Financial Repsonsibility" (then you and your insurance company must file a form with the DPS). You only must display current proof to a peace officer if you're operating, another person if you're involved in an accident,to the safety inspector when getting an inspection,or to the Tax Assessor/Collector in the county where you reside when "applying for registration."

You do not have to show proof when selling a vehicle.

Some departments have gotten real tough on the insurance thing.Arlington, Texaspolice have started a "sportbike crackdown" and if they stop you with no proof of financial responsibility, you get a ticket (about $300) and they tow the bike. They can take you to jail if they want in lieu of the ticket.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:08 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

if your selling it , its fine to cancel the insurance. but make sure that you are selling the bike hopefully the same or next day from when you cancel insurance. also dmv gives you a 10 day grace period that you are supposed to report the sale/transfer of a vehicle... but they dont always keep on top of that. but now (here in ca) without insurance they will revoke your reg . so your fine but check with yoru local dmv just to be sure.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:31 PM

When I added my 1000 they said that I actually got a credit of 5$. I guess because of the multiple bike discount (954, xt 225, V star 650 and now the 1k on the same policy) I paid off the 954 and sold it to my brother but I'm waiting on the pink from the lein holder and so left it on my policy anyway because it didnt't cost me anything.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:20 PM

Guess I'm good to go. I asked if they the registration address on the bike needs to be updated before I sell it and she said no. Also asked if it needs insurance to sell it and she said no. So.........Boo Yaa!