Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Decision help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision help!

This is the deal. I would rather have a bike over a car. I have been given the chance to trade one of my cars plus cash for a 2005 600RR. The only problem is the parents. They are pissed that I want to do this. They gave me a deal that if I traded I would only ride the bike and have no other mode of transportation, that means none of the cars, no anything, but the RR. I really don't mind this deal, I only drove the F1 for a period of time with no problems, worries or issues. The one disclaimer of their deal is that I can not ride at night. That totally kills my night life and any night job. What should I do? I really want the bike, and couldn't care less about the rest of the deal, it is just the night part. Also what do I need to look out for on a 2005?
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:05 AM
Default RE: Decision help!

As good of a deal as it is, you gotta have the car. What if you need to buy something bigger than what will fit in a backpack? What if its pouring outside? I say stick with the car and get a bike when you have the extra cash.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:13 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally I couldn't do w/out a car ... esp. with atl weather; brutally hot one day pouring rain the next .. ice storms, extreme humidity, etc etc we do have the nice perfect weather in between but we get just about everything else and I wouldn't want to ride a bike during those days or rely on others for transp. .. not to mention dates, shopping, etc.. etc..

but you say you did it with F1 so I don't see any question here if u can do it other than keeping the parents happy .. i'd keep the bike & cars unless they will allow you to make some sort of payments on one of the cars if u could swing it as well?

Old 05-28-2007, 12:16 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

how old are you ? also i only have a bike as well but my fiance has a jeep and my parents have a suv and my brother has a truck .. all of which i can borrow @ any time if need be. i say do your deal get the bike. as soon as you get the licence and you can legally ride @ night then go out @ night .

you said that you could trade ONE of your cars (implying that you have 2 or more) plus cash for a bike but in your parents deal they want you to get rid of your other car as well that seems pretty ****ed up. because if you do have 2 cars then it seem no problem to get rid of one and get the bike and still have another vehicle..

Old 05-28-2007, 12:45 AM

I do have more than one car, but they are taken apart that is where one problem comes in. I would just love to have another bike, I guess maybe I should just work my *** off and get more money to buy a bike and keep the car. It is just a screwy situation I am in and nothing has really been working out for the last week or so. I also already have the license to ride at night, just not the motherly permission and i live under her house...until a few months

Old 05-28-2007, 12:46 AM

** Edited, it sounded a little too preachy when I initially posted **

Seems you still depend on the 'rentsfor a great deal of your infrastructure. If that is so... the old "as long as you're living under my roof" adage holds true.

What I read between the lines is:
"I want to trade my (only working) car for a 600RR (the other car(s) implied in the post being my parent's)
My parents don't agree with the decision, so they said that if I go through with it I will not be allowed to borrow their cars whenever riding the bike is inconvenient for whatever reason (weather, carrying larger ammounts of cargo, a date to a place with a dress code etc...) Keep in mind, the folks are just looking out for you, contrary to popular belief, they are not just out to kill your joy.

Having a bike as your only mode of transportation is doable, but it takes a large ammount of planning, and access to friends/ family with a cage for some situations will be inescapable.

I'd reccomend sticking with the car until you can afford the Bike on your own without giving up the cage.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:57 AM

ive always found it easier to come up with money for a car then a bike. ive gotten some really nice hondas/acuras for $1k and sold for much more . get the bike while you can and worry about a car later .you can always toss a date on the back, you can dress nice and still ride the bike. if you have to carry anything larger then what you can carry in abackpack it isnt worth it lol

and you said both the cars are taken apart so they arent doing you much good right now anyways.

parentals will budge. my mom all my life was against me having a bike , even now 4 bikes later she still hates that i ride but she accepts it (isnt happy about it) but she knows i love it so she suports it.. **** she even helps me work on my bike if i need it !

Old 05-28-2007, 03:31 AM

I'm in somewhat of a similar situation. My bike is my only mode of transportation, I don't own a car. However, I take public transportation to school. When I used to work, I would take public transportation to work if it was after school. On the weekends I would borrow my dad's car. I never really had a problem because I could take the bus to work at anytime if I had to. My dad would pick me up after work on weekdays but again I could take the bus. Since I'm a college student, I get a transit card that has unlimited rides for the semester. My parents don't really care that I have the bike. I would say that if your parents really won't let you use thier car, then you might have a problem. Also something to consider is that after you get the bike, your parents might let you use thier car even though they said you couldn't. They aren't really out to get you, they just want you to be safe. I know that I would much rather have a nice bike and drive a beater everwhere else than have a decent car and no bike or a decent car and a ****ty bike.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:15 AM

dude you don't want your bike to be your only transit. I got a rr great bike but, If you live anywhere were the weather is not predictable you want another vehicle. I have been caught out a few times. But those are not the days to worry about it's the days when its pouring down and not going to stop and you got to go about 30 min to get where you want to go and you dont want to look like a wet dog when you get there(girls don't think that wet dog look is sexy). If you got a bike and a car stick with that till you can afford to trade the bike in on a new one and keep the car. trust me. Getting caught is part of riding. Knowing your *** is going to be soaked all day is another

Old 05-28-2007, 04:45 AM

yea but dont forget its summer time right now. by the time the weather starts to turn bad again where you will NEED a car you could have money save up to buy one . so enjoy the bike now and worry about a car later .. unless ofcourse in alanta in the middle of summer you guys get freak blizards and hurricanes and other **** like that (im in cali so i donthave to worry about things like that)

Quick Reply: Decision help!