Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Day the Earth Stood Still

Went and saw this tonight at the last minute with friends, and because I'm a nice guy I'll just say don't waste your time or money.

The kid (Will Smith's) is completely unlikeable, the story is agonizingly bastardized. They literally say "we can change" about 20 times in a 30 minute span. There are enough product placements to choke a horse. We were actually laughing every time there was one.

Now all of this is just surface stuff for the most part, except the quality of the script. However, a movie sets up a premise and the rest you assume is supposed to be true to life. Like how this movie deals with aliens, but aside from that everything should be normal. People should eat and drink, fire is hot, water is wet, etc.

I think what made the most angry is how incredibly short sighted the writers were and how low of an opinion they must have for the moviegoer. The military has a heavy hand in this flick, and their ONLY solution to everything is missles. Seriously. Mo' missles sir! That's all they do, is try to blow sheet up with missles and they are totally the bad guy. Deaths of a lot of military personnel happen without any feeling at all.

There are these tiny bug things that literally destroy AND consume all of Giant Stadium (football) in 5-7 seconds. They are that incredibly powerful and sharp. They also eat diamond drills. Yet, the heroine and the kid walk on millions of them, no problem.

Lastly, there is a giant robot that is immune to everything. Giant diamond drills shatter on it, etc. The thing is like 6 stories tall. Yet, they try to destroy it when they have it in a room by...... flooding the room with fire.

*sigh* Please, seriously don't see this piece of crap. I feel bad having to relive it to provide little parts as it is.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Day the Earth Stood Still

I'm a sci-fi guy so I've seen from **** to awesome. I dont judge them too hard. A movie is a movie, they'll never be real. Why would you want them to be real, then there wouldnt be any story.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:11 PM

i seen a commercial for this movie last night. at the very end of the commercial itstated something along the lines of this " The only place you can see the trailer for the new x-men origions: wolverine movie"
how did the trailer for that look? did it show it?? i wanna go see the movie just to watch the wolverine trailer. lol .

Old 12-12-2008, 11:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Dr.Fingers

i seen a commercial for this movie last night. at the very end of the commercial itstated something along the lines of this " The only place you can see the trailer for the new x-men origions: wolverine movie"
how did the trailer for that look? did it show it?? i wanna go see the movie just to watch the wolverine trailer. lol .
that trailer is on on youtube already lol

Old 12-13-2008, 12:38 AM

So I've seen this movie a few times... I'm sure I can sit through the day the earth stood still.. I've been waiting for another keanu reeves movie to come out. I know everyone hates him and all but I feel like he's got his place and he does his thing well.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:57 AM
VP

ORIGINAL: Dr.Fingers

that trailers been out for quite a while now

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6a...ile_shortfilms

on another note, I am very disappointed to hear TDTWSS isn't as good as it looked in the trailer. I loved the original movie as a kid...

Old 12-13-2008, 07:00 AM

Thats too bad...cause I love a good sci fi movie. Most movies these days always have the police or military as idiots or bad guys. Thats just liberal Hollywood for you. I got a 30 dollar gift card from Blockbuster...so I'm gonna get some classics like Alien and watch them on theBig Screen tonight [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 12-13-2008, 07:33 AM

Aremake of a 1950s movie that was lame back then from a book that was mediocre at best to begin with...why did you even bother in the first place???

Old 12-13-2008, 07:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Pamw

Aremake of a 1950s movie that was lame back then from a book that was mediocre at best to begin with...why did you even bother in the first place???
Totally disagree, the movie was awesome for it's time.

Quick Reply: The Day the Earth Stood Still