Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dad won't let get bike, Says its DEATH

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dad won't let get bike, Says its DEATH

I'm 19 years old and have been riding quads and bikes for quite a while now, except i have never drove any of them on the road(legally). Now that i want to get a cbr600rr i've sold all my quads and finally have the money for one........Except there's a major problem! My dad says i cannot get one until i am 21 if i live at his house--Which basically means i can't get one until im 21, i'm a college student so moving out is out of the story. He says everyone he knows that has a bike has been in some type of evidence. And he always brings up how many people have died this spring on motorcycles just in out County alone. He also said i need to learn the rules of the road more than what i already know---yet i've been driving a car for 3 years and have had no accidents or even tickets.. I want a bike really bad and it would also save on gas money. I don't know what to do, and i DO NOT want to wait til im 21. It's like just taking away my hobby and it doesn't feel good. I completely understand about how he doesn't want anything bad to happen to me, but i am a responsible person. I think for the most part he's worried about the other drivers on the road... He's told me how many times hes pulled out in front of a bike and not even seen it. He also has cameras in his trucks at work for safety and last summer one truck recorded a motorcycle accident where you could hear him screaming right before he wrecked and later died.

So i guess i'm asking you guys, how can i get my dad to let me have a bike?> Any info and help would be appreciated, i dont know what to do, its what i've wanted for so long and i finally have the cash for one and i get told NO. help And plus i've already bought all my gear and have taken the MSF course, now i have my license.[/align][/align]

Old 06-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Default RE: Dad won't let get bike, Says its DEATH

do what i did buy it without them then they will have to grow into it....i wsant aloud to ride mine til i was 18 when i got it 4 months til i turned now that im almost 20 my parents dont care at all

Old 06-12-2007, 07:07 PM

His house his rules- don't like it then move the hell out, too bad, so sad.

That's life- deal with it.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:07 PM

Part of it could be you wanted to start on a SuperSport bike........ That could possibly be part of the problem, if its not, then I don't know. If you really think your parents will kick you out if you buy one, then, I guess you are waiting until you are 21 (unless you can somehow talk them into it). Or you can just buy one and see what happens, but wither way, I dont know if supersport it the way to go first off. Its completely different than dirt, trust me.

And with everything you've done with gear and all, it sounds like either someone lied saying you could get a bike, or you really counted your chickens before they hatched.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:18 PM

If it is what you want do it but when you get hert know why. If i had half the money that i have into my bike i could have had the down payment for a nice house.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:21 PM

Parent's house, parent's rules. Move out or suck it up. 19 isa tough age as you are an adult but still living under house rules. No one on the forum can get involved in your family dynamic.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Retired Moderator

You need to understand he is afraind for your safety. He has a good point about you not understanding the rules of the road...it is totally different on your motorcycle than in a cage. Imagine you are totally invisible, and how hard that would be. I would let him see you are safety consciousand take the MSF course. Also, get some books about ridinf skills, safety, etc...and read them. He needs to understand you are mature about being on a bike. Good luck, keep us posted.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:34 PM

you could always buy the bike and keep it at a friends house....[8D]

Old 06-12-2007, 07:35 PM

NO sympathy here. I agree 100%.I dont think I would allow my 19yr old on any type of modern sportbike,maybe, just maybe a 250, but I doubt it. I am even even of the belief that most young men should not have a bike until they are 25 or older (that is a very, very general statement) but in truth, most teenagers and young men have ***** way bigger than their brains. Its just a fact. Ever wonder why insurance is so high on young men? becuase odds are, your ***** are going to get you into trouble, be it women, speed, pride, or whatever. Now, I dont need everyone replying about "just cause you did when you were young, or not me, Im a very mature 20yr old"-whatever its just the odds. and a fact of life.

He is also correct, that you may need more time on the road.you been driving 3yrs. Has he said this to you yet "Hell, Ive spent more time backing up than you spent driving forward"That is not at all to say you are a bad driver, or dont know what your doing. but, it does mean that there is alot that you have not seen or experienced yet.

good luck, if you really, really, really want a bike. make him a deal. take half the cash that you have saved for a new bike, and buy a slighty older, less pretty bike, and
buy it for track use only. then take the rest of your cash, and buy some track days and track schools. Then, you can get out and ride your bike, in a safe environment, and learn the right way to ride a bike and go fast, and I garuantee your old man will feel much better about it. He's just worried, he loves you.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:46 PM

I had to wait until I was 24 to get my bike. Then my parents gave me $1000 as a down payment because they didn't want me to have to pay so much monthly.

Quick Reply: Dad won't let get bike, Says its DEATH