Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Crazy riding buddy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crazy riding buddy?

My main riding buddy can be a bit too wild from time to time and I find myself telling him to slow the **** down sometimes. He rides a K7 Gixxer 1000 and loves it for its acceleration which is fine but he's a bit stupid sometimes. I don't mind speed (when the road allows it) but I hate crossing solid lines (double yellows, that kind of stuff). He'll cross it like he get's extra points if he does so.

The thing is, if we are going somewhere and he is hauling *** the hole time, I have to keep up. I have however just let him go and he would wait for me somewhere down the road. My main concern is that he takes a lot more risks than he should and I is going to get hurt I'm sure.

So, how many of you have a riding buddy that's a little too much loco from time to time and how do you or have you dealt with it?

Old 05-10-2011, 02:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i unfortunately dont have a riding buddy at all for the moment. I do have plenty of friends that do crazy stuff like that in cars when well be going somewhere and ill be like god damn it dont make me do this too. But sometimes ill be that guy too so i cant talk. On a bike i dont know if ill ever be that reckless just because of how little it takes for things to go horribly wrong. Im all about having fun but theres a fine line between fun and just plain stupid. You can tell him to stop being a jacka** but that only goes so far depending on their personality. Beyond that theres nothing you can do really besides sit back and watch and hope they dont kill themselves. Thats all i do with my friends in situations where its called for. Youre not their mom and youre not a cop...are you?....sooo youre mostly helpless.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:46 AM

I have/had friends like that when I go off road, but none yet on the street. My main riding buddy is pretty cautious and will have fun when appropriate.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:01 AM
August 2011 ROTM

[quote=nickp123;1051771]i unfortunately dont have a riding buddy at all for the moment.[ /quote]

same here. Not sure if it is unfortunate or fortunate.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:18 AM

Well I've done 99% of my miles solo and I do still really enjoy riding solo but it's fun sometimes to share that with another person. He's pretty quick so I ride quicker than I do alone but when I feel like cruising/touring I tend to shy away from riding with him and just go on my own. I have been cruising more and more with a pillion which I also enjoy.

Anyway, he at least put on his jacket this time. He had been riding to work without a jacket and gloves (it was hot) and I had to tell him once again that he is a moron and he should really, really wear his jacket and gloves. The thing is, he's a really clever guy and well educated. He just has a wild personality that needs to be tamed from time to time and I'll continue to advise him to wear his gear. I have absolutely no intention to baby him but I will remind him to not be such a douche/squid.
This weekend we were riding to Antwerp and saw a group of 15 or so bikers. He passed them all at once so he was hailing *** to do so. I don't think they were very pleased with him. Later on that trip he passed people on the shoulder of a narrow single lane highway speed road, I followed him a bit (passing a few cars too) and said to myself "no, no more! Don't be stupid!" and backed off.

(PS: I just found out he's wrecked three cars in his life time..)

Last edited by UnderAssumedName; 05-10-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:25 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName
Well I've done 99% of my miles solo and I do still really enjoy riding solo but it's fun sometimes to share that with another person.
You said you were coming here to ride with me I'm safe

Old 05-10-2011, 03:29 AM

yeah i enjoy riding alone. I used to do most of my riding between 3-6am so i liked just hopping on and riding around with no one else on the road and no one else to worry about or pay attention to. its nice. But i also wish i had a buddy to ride around with when im bored during the day or whenever, itd be cool, both sides have their ups and downs. Some people are just like that, i kind of am but im still a newb and try not to put my life in more danger than i have to. Sure ive sped and whatever, who hasnt, but i try to do it in the safest way possible if that makes sense....long straightaways, no cars, etc. If hes doing it on empty open roads and not splitting lanes on one wheel and weaving in and out through traffic or into oncoming traffic i guess it could be worse. If hes at least being smart about being stupid screw it....

Old 05-10-2011, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
You said you were coming here to ride with me I'm safe
Haha, well when I do go to Hawaii I will definitely come and ride with you!

Old 05-10-2011, 03:33 AM
August 2011 ROTM

nick.. that was my statement you said for me. ha ha like everything about what you said is so me

Old 05-10-2011, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by nickp123
yeah i enjoy riding alone. I used to do most of my riding between 3-6am so i liked just hopping on and riding around with no one else on the road and no one else to worry about or pay attention to. its nice. But i also wish i had a buddy to ride around with when im bored during the day or whenever, itd be cool, both sides have their ups and downs. Some people are just like that, i kind of am but im still a newb and try not to put my life in more danger than i have to. Sure ive sped and whatever, who hasnt, but i try to do it in the safest way possible if that makes sense....long straightaways, no cars, etc. If hes doing it on empty open roads and not splitting lanes on one wheel and weaving in and out through traffic or into oncoming traffic i guess it could be worse. If hes at least being smart about being stupid screw it....
I love riding at night and I have also done countless rides/hours after 2/3am. It's prime riding time! Can't wait for some nice summer nights!

Quick Reply: Crazy riding buddy?