Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Crashed last Night

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashed last Night

I was travelling home from work when I stopped at some lights on a bridge, I was at the start of the queue and when the lights went green I took off down the road, I was doing about 60 ish (the limit for the road was 60) and there were lots of cars going the other way, I was approaching a junction that joined the road I was onthat is quite notorious for accidents so I eased off the gas (still probably going 60 ish) when this Jeep Grand cherokee starts coming out of this jucntion to join my side of the roadreally slowly as if to make sure it was clear. I started to brake but was certain that she would see me and stop but she kept on coming out, at first I thought I would stop in time but it seemed asthough she was not trying to accelerate, I hit both brakes hard but soon realised I was not going to stop, I really did not want to go into the back of her as I knew there was little chance of surviving that sort of accident, there were cars coming the other way so I went up the inside of the Jeep still braking hard, the back wheel was skidding at the time and stepped away from the front of the bike (a sort of slide), as I got level with her I was certain I was going to make it pass her with out crashing, but unfortunatly the road was not wide enough and the back tyre came into contact with the grass embankment, this caused the back wheel to step out even further and the bike low sided me off (thank the lord I didn't high side oooch) well I went tumbling *** over tit through this grass gutter that was like 6ft deep for routhly 20 yards before coming to a stop, all I remember thinking was when is the bike going to land on me and kill me, fortunatly it didn't, I jumped up and took my gloves and helmet off (I know I shouldn't have but was not thinking) the Jeep had stopped and so did the person that was following me, I struggled out of the ditch and the woman who was driving the Jeep was histerical at the side of the road, of course I got the usual "sorry I just didn't see you", anyways the guy who stopped also was a motorcyclist and is a witness that she admitted liability. So I am at the side of the road an ambulance had been called and the police were on their way, and to be honest I was pretty calm, anyways the ambulance turned up after like 15 minuteswhich is a bloody long time(dread to think what would have happened if I was seriously injured)and put me in a neck brace and spinal board and carted me off the A&E. I had a full check over and my injuries consist of ........ A heavly bruised hip and sore neck and back, the police officers on scene could not believe I was walking around and also mentioned that the woman driving the Jeep would be charged for traffic offences. I am a bit sore at the moment but just glad to be alive, I went back to the scene this morning and it appears I missed a tree, sign and a steal walk way that were in my path as I slid through the embankment. Can't believe how lucky I was, I had all my gear on, my helmet took a slight knock and my leathers protected me from all the stinging nettles, my only concern now is getting her insurance company to pay for my bike, helmet and some compensation for my injuries, I hope it will be quite quick because she has admitted liability.
I went to see the bike this morning also and it is in bad shape, every panel has been ever smashed or cracked, the rear sub frame is bent, both handle bars are missingand the tank is smashed in so I think it will be a total loss, the engine is undamaged, the cases are not even scuffed (not sure how they aren't), really gutted about the bike coz it was mint, not even a scratch on it before the accident.
I said straght after the accident that I didn't think I would ride again but I think I will, once I get the money for my bike and hopefully some compensation i will put it away to buy a new bike for next year, I am thinking about an F4i or an R6.
looks like I will be off of work a few days until the

Old 09-12-2007, 06:54 AM
Default RE: Crashed last Night

Sounds like you did a great job of reacting and saved your own life. Glad to hear you're OK and that from the looks of things, your bike is going to be taken care of.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:00 AM

Glad to hear that you're okay.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:34 AM

Damn! Glad to hear that your okay. That sounds like it could have been a lot worse than it was. Bummer to hear that the bike got so messed up. If you can't fix that one up and you get cash from her insurance, I highlly recomend the F4i 01-03 (so you get the split seat design) unless you like the F3 seat, then go with the 04-06. I have an 03 and love it.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:50 AM

Yeah could have been much worse, I think I will get a new bike December January time as they seem a little cheaper then, would like to get an F4i with the split seat I think it looks more modern.
just waiting for my insurance company to call to see what is happening, I just want it all over and done with as quickly as possible.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 AM

Glad to hear you're alright. Good luck with your next bike!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:37 AM

DAMN!!!!!!!! I hate when people say, "i didn't see you".....Hell I see a cat trying to cross the street hwo can people miss a 400lb bike with a 150-200 lb person on it...? WTF!!!!!!!! When i drive I see everything. kids playing, other cars, the squirrelspro-creating on a tree branch, i see it all!!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:51 AM

The whole "i didn't see you thing" sucks but you basically have to go out of your way to be seen. 24 hours a day my hi beam is on. I'm constantly changing lane position so that person pulling up on the right doesn't miss me behind some tree or mailbox. In the end, bright colors and equipment still leave you praying that people see you.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:48 AM

sorry to hear it mike...you still gonna visit the F3 forum from time to time when you get an F4i? that really sucks, i hope she has to pay for it all...good luck man, i hope you can walk again soon...

Old 09-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Banned

I'm glad you're okay and it seems that you'll be taken care of.

What I don't like is people getting down on the other drivers. From reading your own words, you could have prevented this entire thing. I think you know that. It's our job to watch out for us and the other guy.

You can hate it all you want that people say, "I didin't see you." But guess what? It happens. Alot. And they're not lying. I almost pulled out in front of a bike last night leaving the house. I turned and looked, didn't see anyone. Looked to the right, no one so I started to pull out. Something told me to look again and sure enough. An R6 about 50 feet from me.

It happens. You've always got to cover those brakes and watch the throttle/clutch in city traffic.

You can say it's their responsibility too all you want but guess what? I've never seen a motorcycle win a wreck-fight. It's your responsibility to keep yourself alive. And if that means you've got to pay attention for them too, so be it.

Quick Reply: Crashed last Night