Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Crash - OPEN LETTER

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crash - OPEN LETTER

Thanks for posting this Poppa. There are some great responses, too. Frydaddy has got it nailed...riding is all about what's in your head. Listen to that voice and don't ride when your mental state is compromised! Most recently, Corp and Poet could have benefited from her "women's intuition" as a perfect example. If I am not mistaken, she didn't want to ride on the day of their accident. Be safe brethren...!

Old 09-23-2007, 10:23 AM

I took my bike out ther other day before i left on Wednesday to move here to sunny California....it seemd as tho my bike had a mind of its onw and was running rather strong ...i think it was the right mixof air temp and road temps...i was rippin up roads and was really enjoying my day.....then i got a gut and just went home...it was a perfect day and didnt want to get in over my head pushin the bar...so i get the inner voice...

Any one near Yorba Linda wanna get together and ride...send me a PM....im here now in Cali.....have a great day..

Old 09-23-2007, 11:41 AM

Good post, Pops. Funny how even at your age (not that I'm saying your old) you still have to use self-control. Years of experience can'tgive you psychic ability, butcould helpgive you a much betterability to anticipatePOSSIBILITES...i.e. WISDOM.

Just because you've been riding for years doesn't mean you're better than person A that's just getting into the sport. You have to actually use your noggin and think about each riding experience using "what if" ideas. I always do this: smooth ride today, but "What if thatrust-bucket I came up behind lostits muffler in the road?I shouldride further back and off to the (left/right) side next time." It's these ideas that will actually stick in your head and should almost come naturally next time your ina similar situation when riding.Like muscle memory. But if all else fails, make sure you ARE PREPARED FOR THE WORST. GEAR.Nothing is automatic other than that we will die. <---Sorry, this might be the vicodin talking!!

Again ladies and gentleman, be safe. I love you all for putting in care to try and help fellow riders out here who just want to ride. Let's try for ZERO major-injuryaccidents for the rest of the season. It can be easily acheived by two simple things:

1) WEAR PROPER GEAR
2) WISE CHOICES -- Like Pops said, listen to the inner-voice. That's your heart saying "Don't kill us, dumbass."

Old 09-23-2007, 06:10 PM

I went out to run some errands just now. Was on the bike for a total of 30 minutes or so. Within that time, I had 2 people pull out in front of me.Both cars that pulled out were at a stop making a left. The first one, I was able to brake just in time. The second one I had to swerve to avoid. The right side of my bike got within about a foot of his front bumper.

Both drivers of course froze when they saw me coming.

The rest of the way home, I couldn't stop thinking about this post and these accidents that have been happening lately. It really made me slow down and think.

Every year, the fatality rate has increased with motorcycle riders. I think we should all make a commitment in 2008 to make the first decline in deaths and get a buddy system going.

I vote this post to be a sticky.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:28 PM

Great Post!!! ... +1