Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Cracking down on motorcyclists ?

Old 02-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Cracking down on motorcyclists ?

I've noticed a decrease in ridership over the last two seasons over here in the lower NY area..hmmmm wondering if that had to do the recent police cracking down on motorcyclists. I think it was a little bit overkill but if ur legit then it shouldn't be an issue. It was crazy seeing these flatbed trucks with bikes on em' on the highway or even local street sections.

Anyways...my riding is done outside of the city area so I'm looking forward to this upcoming season !

Curious ....Wondering if this is also happening anywhere else ?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not to far from you I am in Pittsburgh and I haven't seen much of it. I have actually noticed a big increase in bikes around my area last summer. Police around here don't seem to be cracking down on just motorcyclist, but they have been setting up alot more aggressive driving check points on alot of roads that bikes tend be cruising around on.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbrsix
I am not to far from you I am in Pittsburgh and I haven't seen much of it. I have actually noticed a big increase in bikes around my area last summer. Police around here don't seem to be cracking down on just motorcyclist, but they have been setting up alot more aggressive driving check points on alot of roads that bikes tend be cruising around on.
Yeah man i'm from Central Pa, and it seems like every summer there is a ton more bikes. Granted I live about 10 miles from Lock Haven University so being a college town could lead to that. Cops around here don't really mess with people on bikes either unless they are being jackasses, so I wouldn't say they are really cracking down

Old 02-09-2009, 12:14 PM

In Missouri i've heard they are going to start enforcing noise violations for loud exhaust. Guess we will find out when it gets warmer.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:26 PM

It's crazy....there giving riders summons for aftermarket exhausts, lights, inspection stickers, mirrors and if ur riding with a motorcycle permit - watch out there're taking the bike and putting it on a flatbed truck and hauling it away goodbye. The rider would have to pay a fine, pay a summons and then get a rider with a motorcycle license to pick up the bike. In some areas they also have check points to find out if one has a motorcycle license and guess what the flatbed is within sight ! Thank goodness I have a ML if not I would be posting my loss ! I'm looking foward to ride out into the countryside of upper NY, NJ and CT areas and hopefully not deal with this craziness.

Looking for stolen bikes is what I think the police should concentrate their efforts on !

Old 02-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Default Loud but needed !

Originally Posted by rkfvd3
In Missouri i've heard they are going to start enforcing noise violations for loud exhaust. Guess we will find out when it gets warmer.

Loud exhausts I think are needed because sometimes these oblivious drivers don't know what the hell is around them hence, needing a nice loud exhaust to wake them up and show them "I'm here".

I know it's help me many times especially around trafficy areas...

Old 02-09-2009, 01:06 PM

Man I would probably cry if someone took my bike away on a flatbed and I had to watch. (glad i have my motorcycle license) The only time I have noticed the police directing their attention to me and my friends is just to come check out if our plates are visible. I guess they had alot of problems last year not being able to see peoples plates.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

man, you guys have it good still...
in florida, things are rediculous now. $1000 fine for incorrect license plate, immediate indefinte impound for anything wreckless plus $1000 fine, etc. cops pull you over and harrass you just to make sure its your bike and that you have an actual m/c license.

the worst part its really just sportbikes that they're coming for. they don't pull over hardleys or any other cruisers.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:34 PM

where do you live in NY...im from binghamton. Ive never really seen much a bike scene anyways

Old 02-10-2009, 01:19 AM

FL just messes with you if you do wheelies, and pretty harshly at that. Alot of cops don't even know about the $1000 fine thing, or the fact that license plates fall under that same legislation.

other then that your bike can sound like dynamite sticks going off in rapid succession while riding down the street in flip flops and sun glasses and no one will care.

if you do get pulled over and don't have a license, one of 2 things will happen A.) the cop will give you a summons 30 days from then, that you have to show up to, once you show up you have 90 days to present a license (or pay a fine?. I am not sure what happens if you don't), or B.) the cop just tells you to take care of that soon.

in either case they send you on you merry way, with you motorcycle still between your legs where it belongs.

did i mention we can ride year round?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cracking down on motorcyclists ?