Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Coping with winter!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 04:55 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coping with winter!!

Don't get too down over winter ... I actually just love our seasons :-)

I know a lot of you get down over winter because you can't ride much if at all ... I tend to stop riding at the back end of October/early November and don't ride again until late March early April ... I really don't mind at all, as much as I love riding and it's such a big part of me I kinda welcome the break as I would ride non stop otherwise and neglect other things ... the break from riding gives you time to focus on other things, even if it's just catch up with reading or diy. For me I love the chance to go walking with my camera, winter can be great for pictures especially those cold frosty mornings or when we get snow on the mountains here ... the way I see it is I get to ride spring/summer/autumn here ... riding three out of four ain't bad!! :-) ... so I embrace winter time and try to focus on other things I might want to do ... it doesn't mean I don't miss the bike, I do and I'll often go into the garage with a coffee and play with the controls ..lol ... on the dryer days I'll start her up and ride up the lane when I can just so I don't have to winterize her ... and, of course not riding in the winter gives you something to look forward to in the spring again, as spring draws nearer I tend to think about all the places I still want to go and explore on the bike and where it will take me this year, I love reading up on places and then going to find them on the bike ... winter gives me a lot of time to think and make plans :-)

How do you guys cope with your winters?? :-)

Here's some winter pics where I live ... I am just waiting for some decent snow or really hard frosts to better them,
but I try to convey the peace and stillness we can get around here over winter time :-)

I am waiting for some decent snow for this one ... when on the mountain tops it looks amazing!! :-)

I love walking past the boat people too ... they have all their log fires going and are cooking breakfast first thing,
the combined smells on a cold frosty morning are gorgeous :-)

Old 01-03-2010, 05:06 AM
November 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Julesbabycakes...lol
You sure are in a beautiful part of the world!
Yes up here in the High Country we get ,Frost,Ice ,Snow,Fog,English style Rain........Oh well you ride,ride maybe 360 days in a year are possible?

But,we have the opposite,who wants to don the Leathers,Helmet,Gloves when its 35,38,41,43,45 *C ......................................It KILLS you riding long periods in 100*F+ Temperatures.

Good to see you back Jules

Old 01-03-2010, 07:41 AM

Jules landscape photos always seem to end up as a backround on my computer....Jules u take amazing photos keep sharing those landscape pics

Old 01-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Random snowboarding.
Frequent masturbation.
Alcohol.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:58 AM

Wow! I love the country you live in. Lovely!

Background of my computer... check! Thanks Juliet.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was 18F this morning and I rode in to work. I'm with sixpack on this one, it's easier to dress to stay warm. When it's 90F+ and humid I just can't get comfortable.

Nice pics by the way. Splain what these "boat people" do ? Do they live in their boats?

And dude -=-= grow up ... you know who you are

Old 01-03-2010, 11:38 AM

ya Jules , those pics are da bomb, imn with chain, are these house boats or sight seeing charters? i have nothing to complain about with our winters as they are pretty mild altho we are seeing freezing temps at night but still in the 50's duringthe day, but in the summer i sometimes park for awile as 100+deg temps are roasting when you stop. Spring here is the best ride , amazing just how many bikes poor out in spring.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trying to keep the mind occupied. This is the first year I've had to go through this (when I rode as a kid, it was just a means of transportation). I could ride on clear days but there are some things I want to do on the bike (rerepaint the bike, swap the gauges, replace the clipons, change the plugs and balance the carbs) And without a garage its too cold to do them.

Upside is I'm finally going through the stack of PS3 games I never finished. And cracking the books for my MS certifications. I thought about swiping the camera I bought my gf and trying photography. But I'm a Texan, no matter where I live. Cold weather mixes about as well as water and oil with me. I can be done with a lot of effort...

But why?

Old 01-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice pics Jules. You're so right about taking breaks to renew one's spirit in other areas. Balance is definitely key. Its good to step back from time to time, whether by choice or by wx, to reconnect w/ your other hobbies & interests.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was riding my last bike until the end of November here.. then sold it and bought my CBR last Wednesday... rode it home in 30* weather.. had a blast.. wind chill has been in the teens ever since.. can't wait for it to go above 40 at least.. 50s would be perfect!

I used to love winter as a kid.. not so much now.

Quick Reply: Coping with winter!!