Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Concealed weapons permit

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concealed weapons permit

I am getting my concealed weapon permit (they give them out like candy in Oregon), and I wanted some opinions on what handgun you would get. I am leaning heavily toward a hammerless revolver, but am interested with what you gun nuts have to say. Check this out:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...nt_category_rn=

Old 01-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Default RE: Concealed weapons permit

I'm a pretty gun savvy fellow myself. I will be going infront of the gun board soon to get mine. Its kind of difficult here and it goes by county. I have fufilled all requirements so it wont be long.My brother and father also carry.

You are just gonna have to feel a few. And try them in diff. places i.e in pants, over the shoulder holster, ankle holster, etc.

Many are very uncomfortable so the smaller the gun the more comfortable it will be. Any barrel bigger than 5" is gonna be hard to conceal. Mostly personal preference.

Nothing smaller than a 9mm or .38 maybe a .32 but thats gettin small.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:05 PM

I'm more of a fan of semi autos, owning a Kimber 1911A1 .45 Auto and also a Beretta 92 Brigadier 9mm. I don't care much for revolvers simply because they don't feel natural in my hand.
However, if you were considering an auto, I'd suggest the following:

* Any Kimber 3" 1911 pattern
* Any Glock compact - 9mm or .40
* Any Sig compact - 9mm, .357 sig, .40 (.357 sig and .40 S&W are interchangable)

If you choose a revolver like what you're looking into, get the .357 - that way you could also run .38's for cheapo target practice/break in.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Retired Moderator

I appreciate the info so far. I'm just thinking of a .38 because at 15 oz and with something like a three inch barrel, I'm thinking a lighter load would be easier to manage recoil-wise. You are right, though Dwight, I can always fire a .38 through the .357, but with an additional cost of two or three hundred bucks. The reason I am thinking revovler is not having to chase shells at the gun range when I target practice, and five shots should be more that enough to take someone down (God forbid adrenaline COMPLETELY takes over). You anly have a couple seconds to squeeze rounds of in a close combat situation anyway. I will for sure check out the semi autos, though.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:54 PM

I have one of these guys big brothers and can't say enough about how good these are:

http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...ategory=Pistol

.45 is probally alot but you won't be worried about if it going to knock down what you are shooting at.

MDFF

Old 01-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Retired Administrator

I have my permit and carry a Taurus 24/7 9mm. It's a 4" 17+1 with an actual safety and built in lock for when it needs to be out of reach of children.

The one you're looking at is the style that most LEO and other gun trainers will recommend for carry. Simple, it will not jam and will always fire. Smaller and less confusion when you're in the "fight or flight" state of mind. Those tiny POS 25 or 22 auto will get you killed. The guy that did my class singled out a woman in my class and proved it to her. The shop the class was in sold her one and he proved that could cause it to jam/stove pipe at will just by holding it at certain angles. So stay away from those.

It may seem stupid to most, but I like the 24/7 for the volume and size. True, if you're shooting more than 6 projectiles at someone trying to kill you... you need to rethink carry a weapon. But we've all seen the video of the guy waiting for the lawyer outside the court house. 6 shots at point blank range... I mean they were dancing around a tree... a small tree at that and the guy never hit him. If something ever did go that wrong... I will not hear a dead click on shots number 7, 8, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:03 AM

What kind of holster do you have don? I have the Taurus 24/7 .40 and I can't find a holster I like.

Oh yeah... lets talk ammo while we are at it. I've got hydrashocks loaded up.

http://www.federalpremium.com/ballis...x?bullet_id=31

MDFF

Old 01-09-2007, 12:31 AM

Smith and Wesson P&M is the best 9mm ive ever shot! accurate light and totally reversable

Old 01-09-2007, 12:56 AM

I alternate between a Kimber pro-carry and a full-size 1911, depending on what I am wearing, but I try to be consistant with the weapon platform for familiarity, but I have also carried a G23 and various revolvers. Revolvers are great for the fact that you minimize the malfunction possibilities, I'm a huge Auto fan, but revolvers simply have FAR fewer reliability issues. If your set on a revolver for carry and don't need the fancy wango-dango latest from $mith & We$$on, go with Taurus. Excellent customer service, lifetime warranty and every bit as good a product compared to the current smith production line at about half the cost.Don't forget Ruger though. My wife bought a Tarus Ultra-Lite in 357 last weekend, less than 300$$ out the door, new in box from Sportsmans. Wardrobe and holster selection make a huge difference in carry also, it can be the difference between a confortable rig that rides nice and gives quick presentation, to a bulky nuissance thats a hassle. I personally like the Milt Sparks SSII or VM2 IWB, it conceals extremely well, has good retention and doesn't shift a bit, as well as being very comfortable. If riding for a day or on a trip, I carry a Glock 23 in the cargo/side pocket of my riding pants, out hunting or fishing, a Ruger GP100 4in barreled in .357, Summertime in shorts and a light t-shirt, my Kimber pro-carry. It depends on what you want the pistol for, simply occasional practice and refreshers, mainly to carry, than a snubbed 38 with a bobbed hammer might be the way to go. Allot of women I know carry bobbed revolvers cause the hammer doesn't get caught on anything in their purse. That rational applies to anyone though really, more so for others than not. What I personally don't like about bobbed hammers is that it rules out SA action, as most are DAO pistols, doesn't make for good target work or fun practice as far as accuracy goes, but, thats me, your needs might be completely different. I get a little picky when it comes to the right pistol for the right job, Dozens later and I still add one or two to the safe every year to fit a different need or want, but I reload and shoot ALLOT, maybe 1-2K rounds a week, more during the match seasons. Best thing you could do as is mentioned previously is go to a range that rents guns, or a buddy who has some for you to sample and go shooting and see what fits you well and you prefer. Also, a small revolver in .357 isn't that bad as lond as it isn't in one of the scandium framed models, thoise things are ridiculously light and can be punishing, but a medium or light one in .357 is manageable, and if it's too much, go with some warm .38's from Speer or Nosler, You won't pay that much more if any, by getting a 357 vs a 38, and if you decide to sell it to upgrade or you find one you like better, the 357 has a stronger selling point than a 38. Just my 02 though.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:13 AM
Retired Moderator

Great stuff guys! I was talking to my Dad tonight and he has a 2 1/2" barrel, hammerless, five shot Ruger .357. He urges me to go with the .357 as opposed to a .38. He says that the additional 8-12 oz is hardley noticeable while carrying,but itwill help to reduce the recoil. He said whatever I decide to go with, I will get used to it with practice. Just like anything else, if you use something enough, you begin to feel "at home" with it. My main reason for getting the permit is not that I am in constant fear of my life. I expect I will never have to fire the weapon at someone, but I do want to make sure my family and I are safe in any event...I know I am preaching to the choir here. I've read an example on this forum of a guy having a gun on a ride which just may have saved his life (or a severe beating or theft...something like that). I was at the ATM machine the other night withdrawing four hundred bucks with my .45 auto hanging out of my pocket. I was so concerned about that thing taking a spill onto the sidewalk, that I left my card in the machine when I left. I live in such a small town, that unfotunately there aren't any places that demo, but my dad and I are going to the range to shoot his .357 this weekend, so I will see how that Ruger feels. Thanks, you guys are great.

Quick Reply: Concealed weapons permit