Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Concealed weapons permit

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Concealed weapons permit

Valid points Tennessee. Actually, it is a pretty small town, but we are BIG on meth addiction/manufacturing, and theft is a huge byproduct of that problem. Plenty of scumbags around to beat, and mame, and steal. The honest truth is, I could probably live the rest of my life without a concealed weapon. It is more of a comfort issue for me. If I can have one, I will feel better on certain occasions (ie earlier post about pulling money out of anATM at night). As far as revolver verses semi-auto, there is a case to be had for both. My opinion is, most self defense situations are going to be at very close range (within 10 feet or so?), and will be over in a matter of seconds. I don't believe you'll ever havesomeone try to rob you at25 yards. Although I would like the a$$hole to stand still while I try to shoot him with 10+ rounds, it will not be the case. I would have a few seconds to try to hit my target before he tries to disarm or kill me.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

ORIGINAL: rrasco

ORIGINAL: havoc_on_2_wheels

i really want to get my CWP but here in cali its really hard to get but imma try anyways.
cant be as hard as texas, for some reason they think we are a bunch of gun toting cowboys down here.
i thought in texas you were allowed to carry
CCW LIMITS
May police limit carrying concealed handguns?No

State law forces police chiefs and state sheriffs to give concealed carry permits (CCW) to anyone who can buy a handgun, allowing them to carry loaded, concealed handguns in public (known as �shall issue�). Some safety training in the legal or safe use of weapons is required to obtain the CCW permit. State law allows residents of some other states to carry concealed weapons in this state without informing local police.
http://www.bradycampaign.org/legisla....php?st=tx#ccw

Old 01-09-2007, 03:56 PM

I use an uncle mikes inside carry. Just a plain simple pouch with a clip so I can tuck it inside my jeans/pants.
I have the exact sameone, I like uncle mikes stuff.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:32 PM

I carry the Taurus Millenium Pro .45, I love it!!! For a .45 it has very little kick, it is only 6 1/4" long, light weight and feels very comfortable in my hand. I keep it loaded with the federal hydroshocks (sp?) which are nasty little buggers. I carry with an uncle mikes IWH (In Waist Holster) I generaly keep it in the small of my back. I carry because well, it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I hope I never need my gun, I hope I never have a reason to fire it other than target practice. But if a situation comes up where I do need it at least I will have more of a chance than the "we need to ban fire arms blah blah blah" guy.

By the way, this is the gun I carry notice it has a lock on the back? The gun comes with a key that allows you to lock the slide and firing pin http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...ategory=Pistol

Old 01-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Retired Administrator

ORIGINAL: jjkukla

Compact or semi-compact Glockin .40 cal. Can't beat it.
The one problem with a glock is... no safety. They are designed for open carry, such as LEO. I wouldn't want to reach into my concealed carry holster and add a new hole to my backside.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:48 PM

Personally, I've got a Rossi .357 Magnum, w/ 6" stainless barrel
*Big, and intimidating compared to most smaller handguns
*Hammer lock w/ key(the hammer cannot be pulled without destroying the firing pin)
*Dead Accurate
* With either hydroshocks or hollowpoints, its designed for pure stopping power
*About the biggest handgun you could consider concealed
*Never jams unlike some semi-autos

Dislikes:
*Prices of ammo(about $20/ box of 50 Hollowpoints, $13 for Magtecs)
*Weight of weapon when carrying concealed for long periods of time(car shows/ etc)

I've also got a Berreta Tomcat, which is ultra-concealable.
Its only about 4" in total legnth, carrys 7+1 in the clip .32 bullets. You can put this thing in your shoe and be confortable walking in it. Barrel breaks in half like a double barral shotgun. Very smooth shooting gun, kinda pricy for the size--about $345, but is excellent to carry with you. You can even put it in your jeans pocket.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:51 PM

Been thinking about getting a cwp for quite a while too. The only thing that bothers me is that I might have to kill someone just to keep them from getting my gun to use against me, you know ? Say you take it out while being robbed and the guy doesn't think you'll shoot and goes for the gun. Do you kill him to keep the gun, or let him take it and hope he doesn't kill you w/your own weapon ? Lots of "gangbangers" in the area around my shop that might act like they have a gun, but might not really have one. So do you wait to find out..... brandish the gun in hopes that he goes away...... kill him to keep your gun ? In the home is one thing, I'd shoot first, ask questions later, but on the street..... spit second decision, I don't know. Hate to say/suggest it, but it almost seems as if you would have to carry a second gun to plant just in case you shot s/one who turned out to not have one themselves !! (or at least s/thing that looks like a real gun) I don't mean to threadjack, just wondering what the prevailing tude is.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:13 PM

I would suggests the 1911 as a first choice and a Glock for the second choice I have both the 1911 and a Glock 21. I also suggest a caliber above 9mm something you are comfortble shooting.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: rrasco

i really want to get my CWP but here in cali its really hard to get but imma try anyways.
cant be as hard as texas, for some reason they think we are a bunch of gun toting cowboys down here.
Texas is a shall issue state and it is not difficult to obtain a permit. Without going into a big speal, if you are lawfully allowed to possess a handgun you can get a permit. Thier standards are higher than other states, but not difficult, in short, you have to apply for permit. Pay money (mine ran 150.00) for an approved CHL course, and qualify with your weapon so they know your competent to use it After all that, send the entire package to the DPS for approval with additional application fees and 4-6wks later you get your permit. As compared to Washington State, I walked into a police dept, paid 40 bucks, got finger printed and in 2 weeks had my permit. Theres allot of here-say on here about this, but if your interested and want to know the facts, go to www.packing.org it lists rules and regulations pertaining to carry laws in all 50 states. Do NOT reference anything from the brady campaign unless your wanting to look to an extreme, nanny government, ultra liberal bunch of freedom grabbers, they distort facts and numbers to get thier point across how they want you to see it, I call it muck-raking journalism.

i thought in texas you were allowed to carry
CCW LIMITS
May police limit carrying concealed handguns?No

State law forces police chiefs and state sheriffs to give concealed carry permits (CCW) to anyone who can buy a handgun, allowing them to carry loaded, concealed handguns in public (known as �shall issue�). Some safety training in the legal or safe use of weapons is required to obtain the CCW permit. State law allows residents of some other states to carry concealed weapons in this state without informing local police.
http://www.bradycampaign.org/legisla....php?st=tx#ccw

Old 01-09-2007, 10:09 PM

Looking to the brady campaign for gun info is like looking for a beef recipe on PETA.

Quick Reply: Concealed weapons permit