Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Chopper Live

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Chopper Live

Alright, lets have the discussion about it. I know there has to be a lot of others watching it.

First, this year is WAY better than last years. 2 sportbike-ish/fighter style bikes, an old school chop, and really only one long low chopper like we're used to. And they all can be ridden!

But I gotta say, I'm kind of surprised by the bike I chose this year. Its gas monkey garage's bike. They're the only ones that got it done on time and they're the only ones that rode it to Vegas. It's just cool. No front brakes, suicide shift. It's a badass bike. They did it with tools most of us can afford. Kind of like the guy said last night - blood sweat and beers built that bike. Plus I dig those guys. I feel like they do things a real private shop does them. Sure, they have no million dollar cnc machines, but for the money and the platforms they usually build from - they're pretty good. Aaron really knows his s***. They did a real bike on a real bike budget. But probably the biggest thing - they're the only ones that went into the motor. All these other guys (even Jesse James) say "oh i built this thing from the ground up"...bs, they didn't build the motor. I bet you Senior and Junior couldn't answer what kind of pistons - what's the compression ratio - what kind of cam do you have in it. Aaron (even though it was for cosmetics) at least when into the motor - even if it was just the head.

About Jesse's - he started using words like motogp, sportbike, dragging a knee, etc. and I was really excited. And it started to look good when I saw that he was going to use a usd front end. I loved the frame and motor. But then I saw that HIDEOUS tail. He couldn't use a smaller battery? And then he's sitting on the oil tank? How are you going to ride that after the bike gets up to temp? And then the biggest thing - how in the hell do you only put one front rotor on that thing. And whats with the chrome wheels? American or not, how badass would it have been if he had big *** brembo's on there with Marchesini rims? And if the tail was a little bit more hard lined instead of a bubble butt - I would have gone for it. Plus, he's a jerk. And he acts like he's grown up in Texas forever and how he's a real Texan yada yada....

Senior's - I do really like it. It's just a little too long. And as cool machined parts are - an 80lb frame isn't that appealing. The exhaust pipes are WAY too long. The fact that a) most of the team wanted to leave the aluminum raw and b) they should have anodized the tank that red - it would have been awesome. Then, I can't stand the front end. It was poorly executed. The R1 that had that style of front end was done correctly, but this one is too futuristic. Plus, the headlights suck (even though they're better than the lights they usually use from simple online sites). They did use some really really cool stuff on it though. The carbon shock spring is amazing. It looks cool, plus it's pretty trick.

Juniors - that's one of the best bikes I've seen him do - but I can't stand long choppers like that. I like looking at them, but I'd never ride one or own one, so I can't say I'd ever vote for it. The car grill looks perfect on there - like it was designed for it. While i do really think the "headers" exhaust is cool - the multiple pipes thing is starting to get redundant. I think it's way better than the bike last year. The paint and pin striping are cool. I think the handle bar/wheel thing is a little bit too much.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by gotcbr; 12-11-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They've got some serious chops on the wrenching and machining.
Just not a fan of the whole genre.
But strictly speaking, of they're technical ability to execute a design,
that, they can do. I actually think the dude that does the bikes on PawnStars,
has a much better handle on design.

Ern

Old 12-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gas monkeys didnt build a bike, they restored an old Harley and modified it into a chopper, the other 3 bikes were more true to the spirit of the show. Secondly JR. was done on time as well as senior. Senior took advantage of the extra time to make some improvements. Smart if you ask me. I think the two best bikes were Jr and Jesse with senior in third. The gas monkey boys are just a couple of smart @ss motorcycle modifiers.
Just my $.02

Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ill just go down the line here

gas monkey - was is a cool and ride-able bike? of course, but they really didnt put a whole lot of work in it.

jesse - as conrice said, i got all excited when he was talking about knee dragging and taking moto gp concepts, i know he was going for a small bike, but he made it too small. i can appreciate all the work he put into it himself, but the thing looks like ***.

paul jr. - the way he put the grill on it, was simply amazing. But everything else on the bike, especially the rear, was too bulky, and i dont care much for the long and low style. the exhaust was a cool idea, but it seemed like they kinda half assed it.

paul sr. - i liked the idea behind it with the engine being suspended, but the frame itself, i could honestly design that myself in a day or so. and i hated how the exhaust stuck out way passed the seat, and that front end was horrid.