Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Check this out.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check this out.

So, I work at my university in some offices on the north side of campus. Well, there are no designated motorcycle parking spaces up here and motorcycles are not allowed to park in the normal parking spaces reserved for students and staff. The staff(I'm not considered staff since im a student also) parking spaces are right infront of the office building. The student parking spaces are kinda a distance away, I wouldn't park in it anyways because I wouldn't be able to see my bike and theres a bunch of traffic that goes though there. So, I park right infront of my office window on the side walk. No one has ever complained about me parking there, not even the police. Well, I get into the office today and the lady thats in the office next to us says I need to move my bike because they are moving crap out of that office. Ok no big deal. Well, I get outside and right as I walk up behind my bike a mover drops a nice bookshelf right on my bike. So, now I have a big *** dent on my gas tank and my rear fairing has some nice paint damage. The police officer said I will most likely have to fight the school because I was not parked in designated spot. He said to relocate my bike behind the building now where there is no one. He also suggested I might have to start driving a car to school now. Well...I dont have a car nor can I afford one. W00t.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Default RE: Check this out.

That sucks man... I would go after the movers for sure. Even if it's the school that "owns" the moving company or whoever was moving the bookshelf at the time, there's a reason they have insurance. You clearly saw what happened, and you were on your way to move it. Yes, they can argue it wasn't in a 'proper' parking spot, but that doesn't give them the okay to damage it right infront of you and not be held responsible.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:56 AM

The school 'owns' the movers so I have to go after the school. Not only did I see it my boss saw it also. The mover even admitted to the police he dropped it on my bike. The only thing that the school can really argue is that my bike wasn't parked in the right space which I think that arugement cant even float a sponge. Considering there are no 'correct' spaces for me to park in thats not a mile away.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:00 AM

Their insurance will cover it and hopefully you have a copy of the police/campus securityreport. if their insurance jacks you around, tell them you will file in court for the damages plus the cost of the rental for while your bike is laid up. Any damagesthey pay on will be less than what their lawyers will cost.

I would also try to petition the school for better parking for bikes if you have not already done so. There is no reason not to have bike parking, and since you can pretty much fit two bikes into one space and bikes are more fuel efficient, maybe they will look better environmentally.

<edit> this is what will help you out:

"No one has ever complained about me parking there, not even the police."

They knew you parked there and never said anything.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:07 PM

Sucks to hear Nauree!! .. Check with the police department and ask if the University is required to have motorcycle parking. My University has spots dedicated for them. Then get the police report and go after the insurance company of the movers/school.

Goodluck and keep us posted!!

Old 01-17-2008, 01:12 PM

that sucks. My university has parking literally everywhere on campus. Some of it is so hidden that a lot of the riders dont even know where it is.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:13 PM

You know what also doesn't seem right is that MCs are not allowed to park in the normal spaces. In every law I have seen, a motorcycle has the same rights to space as a car. (a car can get a ticket if they cut into the same space as a cycle is riding in, even if there is no contact) Plus, the cycle is licenced and registered by the state.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:16 PM

Universities make their own rules about parking. My university has the same rule. You cannot park in places that are designated for a car.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:07 PM

Does anyone know where I can find out what the OEM type colors are designated as? Like, I go on bikebandit to see how much a new tank is and theres more than one different type and I'm assuming thats to fit the different color schemes.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:21 PM

So, I wasn't sure if I needed to report this to my insurance but I did. So now I have to wait on what Progressive says. I feel like my daughter has been raped with this whole situation.

Quick Reply: Check this out.