Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

CCL and Riding

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CCL and Riding

the .380 is the perfect carry gun on a bike,as soon i get off my *** and get a ccw permit,thats what ill carry.i also have my .45 acp for the house and target shooting.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:36 AM

+1 on a Kel tec 9, great gun. But i preffer my Springfield Armory XD .40 (it also comes in a compact version, and you can get a longs clip with the extension for more control if you do target shoot with it. Springfield comes with a molded plasic holster, a 2 clip holder, 2 clips and an easy reloader for the clips. It's an amazing gun.

in terms of carrying, i remember that one guy had some pretty good thoughts in the last post similar to this. DONOT carry on your hip while riding, thing about it if you go down... messed up pelvis, possibly even a femur fractures. Also, stay away from the small of the back in the pants... even worse, a broken spine... I would definately stick to a shoulder holster worse case you break a rib..

Just my .02

Old 05-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it would hurt no matter where you had it on your body if you went down.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:58 AM

If you go shoulder holster for riding, you need something slim. When my check comes in, I'm picking up a Kahr CW9 ($420 , 9mm, slim, and ammo is cheap to practice with) for riding and an XD9 sub compact ($500) for other times (my fiance is using her check on the XD). Take into consideration a few things before purchasing. A.) 9mm is better than a .380 both in ammo price and power. B.) You don't want your carry gun to be so big you leave it at home but so small that it breaks your hand when you shoot it. C.) Remember the cost of a holster, extra mag, cleaning kit, and break in/defense ammo in your costs. That's one of the nice things about the XD is you get a holster, extra mag, cleaning brush, lock, and mag extender for the price. The only problem I have with glock/sig/walther is the fact that they've priced themselves out of a big part of the market. There are many great guns for much less.... like the xd

See if you can find a local forum for gun owners. I see alot of good deals on the state gun site. I've seen used glock 26's/27's going for $400. Budsgunshop.com also has good deals.

Sorry to rant, but I've been doing my research since I took my CPL class.

I didn't catch if you said you had your permit or not. My permit hasn't come back from the state yet, but it should be any day now.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:22 PM

I do not have a permit yet, at the range I am going to get it they recommend you get certified with what you plan to carry. So I am going to buy first, then take the class. I won't be carrying right now, later on though. However, I did hear rumors of a Texas law that essentially says your car is an extension of your home so you are allowed to carry a firearm in your car without a permit so long as its not on your persons.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:29 PM

It's not a big deal if you take a class where the instuctor has guns. I shot a Sig226 but I won't be carrying one. My instructor had over 25 different handguns to use. You should really try out some different guns, if at all possible, before you buy.

I recommend not buying before your class. You can always shoot and practice later on. Besides, that class and the license will cost a pretty good portion of $600. All in all, my class cost 200 (I took a longer, more intensive one) and my license cost 105$ and the photo from wallgreens cost $8. With a cheaper class, you could cut that down some but your training will be less. We got a nice lunch in mine. I guess this really depends on your state law, but in MI with my CPL, I can walk into any gun shop and buy a gun then and there. It's a perk that may be in your state, but research it.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:30 PM

Also, research your state laws, a lot of states allow "Open Carry". As long as it can be seen by other people while it is on your person, no permit needed. Hip, shoulder holster outside your shirt, whatever--as long as it is visible. Plus, the visibility is an immediate deterrent...who's gonna **** with a biker sporting a gun right there for God and everybody to see?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:06 PM

Go with the others have said and see what fits your hand. I don't think Glocks are all that expensive and can be had new for $500-$550 and less used. When I need small I will go with the G29, but even it is a little heavy. The G26 (9mm) is a nice subcompact. I have shot one of those quite a bit. The G32 is a good midsize with a thin profile.

When I can carry larger size, I usually will go with my Walther (40 S&W). It is more pricey but it fits the hand well. Anyone who has ever handled/shot the Walther wants one, so see how a Walther fits your hand.

One thing is you always want a carry weapong to function, so practice a lot. Both Glock and Walther have run 100% for me. No jams, failure to feed (FTF) or failure to extract(FTE). 9mm is a good affordable round to shoot. 10mm ammo is expensive, but if you reload it drops drastically. I have loaded some stout rounds for the 10mm, and it pretty interesting to shoot. Another good round (although a little pricey) is the .357 Sig (that is what my G32 shoots).

Good luck with your choice, and be safe.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:36 PM

I am almost positive Texas does not have an open-carry and the class is only $70, but I think maybe $200 to apply for the permit. I can also walk in and buy any gun so long as the FTA stuff comes back good. I might be waiting for the gun show at the end of the month anyways.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:34 PM

I have a ccw and I carry a glock 26 on my side ALWAY'S. It is just about the perfect size gun, go try one out you will love it.

Brian

Quick Reply: CCL and Riding