Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Career Choices

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Join the Military. Meet new people, travel the world, and enjoy your youth.

Last edited by Indiana Hurricane; 10-15-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a BSc (Hons) in Geography & Conservation plus an MSc in Climate and Environmental Change. I was going to go for some green-collar environmental sector job as it was an expanding area before and during the early part of my degree.

Then the economy bombed. I had a weekend job but I was made redundant from it; times got pretty hard through the last part of my Master's.

When I got out of university the job market was dire and I had a non-income-asessed loan to pay back that demanded ANY employment NOW. I got a job at a massive Tesco's supermarket because I mentioned in the interview that I already knew how to fillet a fish. I'm still there now; I love my regulars, my team and I enjoy doing my job well even if it does involve gutting and de-scaling hundreds of dead fish.

It's better to get something and show that you're game to work as opposed to having a big fat empty space on your employment record and it's easier to get a job if you can show that you're already working. I'd also say that it's better to do something you can stick to and enjoy for less money than living in misery for a higher wage. Make the most of the opportunities around you. You never know when a certain experience might come in extremely handy in the future job market.

I'm using Tesco to get a management position onto my cv/resume. I can always re-enter the environmental sector later in life. Or I could change my mind and go for something else completely different! The world is your oyster so long as you're prepared to put the graft in.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:57 PM

I dropped out from college, couldn't hack an entire engineering course with no time in the shop (didn't make sense to me) I'm more of a hands on learner.

I got a job at a taxi firm, got supervisor role there I loved it but unfortunately the company liquidated. After than I bounced around doing shop work just to pay the bills till something I liked came up. Found my current job in customer care which I absolutely hate, but, again it pays the bills so. I'm not happy but employment where i live sucks there are no careers left unless I want to go into finance, which really isn't my cuppa tea!

Only suggestion I can make is do what makes you happy, there is no point being the richest depressed guy in the clinic, personally i'd rather be happy and broke.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:47 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lol... Steve Jobs drop out from college after the first semester...

If you find something you enjoy doing, that pays...no matter what, you would not be broke. Only when you sin, then yes, you'll get broke fast.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:09 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by kevin...who?
I'm going to give this a shot because I'm stuck in an awful spot right now.

I'm currently a senior in college doing my student teaching for a special education degree. After the first nine weeks, I discovered I hate it. I love the kids and working with them, but the paperwork (you have LEGAL documents working with this population), the planning, and stupid amounts of "off-clock" work are things really making me struggle in the placement and academically (which I haven't before). Overall, I feel like my mentor doesn't have time for me and I'm constantly thrown under the bus for it, but my supervisor from the university doesn't see it or care for it?

I'm 90% sure I want to do something else, involving working with people, but the idea of more schooling and even more money into a piece of paper scares me. My initial thought was hotel hospitality?

So what I'm asking is:
  • What do you guys do for a living?
  • How did you end up where you are now?
  • How happy are you with where you are now? (If you'd like to share)
  • Do you have a suggestion for me or a "pearl of wisdom" when dealing with career changes or life advice?
Thanks in advance.

I work in the Hospitality Industry I love it. I work in a hotel with many different deparments and everyday is something new.

My goal a couple of months after graduation is to work in the city (a tourism mecca as you know)

Or any other major city with high tourism... Boston, Philly, Miami, L.A. etc...

You live outside Chicago! Soo many luxury hotels and great hospitality scene there! My aunt works in tourism in Chicago.

You might want to think about it! Good luck.