Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Are You Doing Something You Love (your job/career)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are You Doing Something You Love (your job/career)?

Do some soul searching. Do you like your job, and could you have ever imagined while still a teenager that you would be in the field you work in now?

You see, a good friend of mine was taking honors coursework in pre law for a bit a while back, so I spent a bit of time discussing the profession with him. He decided to go into another field when he realized that he was just doing law because of the potential for big bucks. He decided that he wanted to enjoy his job, and worried that being a trial lawyer would be too depressing. Now he's an investor for Edward Jones-lol. It always amazes me that we come from such different walks of life, and often end up doing things that seem unlikely to us and/or others.

An interesting point is that my brother is a cadet in the police academy. My older brother. If you knew him growing up, you'd know why this seems crazy. He is 6'2", and from 14 to 25 years old, he weighed 120 lbs. He looked like a crackhead. Not a cop. Now, He's about 170, and is in better shape than me. I think he could finally kick my ***-lol!

My point is that we all go these transitions in our lives and feel motivated to make a big change from time to time. What motivates us differs from person to person of course, but the transition is the most interesting part of the change. The end result isn't as dramatic, because you did it. I think it's funny that my wife celebrated her graduation so much. I mean, we went out with friends a bunch of times to celebrate, had a party, another party, and went off to Hawaii! I didn't mind at all, b/c I was so proud of her. She cried at her graduation. I found mine anti-climactic. After I graduated, I told her that I didn't want a party. She thought I was crazy, and didn't understand why I saw no need. It's because I saw more value in the change. I told her I partied enough in college, and that was the part worth celebrating. Also, my career now is interesting and rewarding, but there are always what-ifs, so I'm always open to other possibilities. The direction I took was more a function of financial stability, and what my abilities would allow. If I didn't have to worry about money and my family, my path would have been different.

Another thing that spawned this thread was cbrsix's skydive video. Do you see the guys in the back of the plane goofing around (at the 1:10 mark)? Those guys love their jobs. Can I say the same about my job? Can you?

Old 10-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Are You Doing Something You Love (your job/career)?

I started life as an engineer ... one day it all just stopped making sense to me, and in my mid 20s, I went into nursing which I love, however another career rethink is needed because if I go back to work in a hospital and catch another superbug I am done and dusted ..lol

I am thinking of becoming a district nurse when I am back up to it ...

Jules

Old 10-18-2008, 08:51 AM

im 18, i work in a sawmill. and i hate my life.

Hopefully ill become a snowboard instructor next month, and then i will be doing my dream job/something i love.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I am an auto tech (although recently unemployed) and thats all i have done all my life. I dont enjoy it at all anymore, but i dont know what else to do

Old 10-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im w/ TK, except i do HVAC work. although i enjoy my new position (i used to run the sheetmetal shop, now i do replacements) to an extent, its far from what i want to do in life and im not exactly jumping for joy in the mornings when i wake up and get ready to leave to go there. but, as TK said........i've done this since 12th grade (work release)......i've been doing HVAC for going on 7yrs now.....its all i know. i have no schooling, no degrees, just a highschool diploma and those dont really count for **** anyways.

what troubles me is i dont even know what i WANT to do. i cant think of any jobs that i'd be willing to wake up to every day w/ a smile on my face, other than something w/ bikes. i've only been riding for 18months but motorcycles have absolutely become my L...I....F....E! i wouldnt mind working in a motorcycle mech. shop or a dealership but i dont see that happening anytime soon. im not much the mechanic (parents divorced when young, didnt exactly have my dad around showing me how to fix ****) and i've heard MMI is a waste of time/money. but i can sit here and talk bikes to you all day long, its far beyond just a passion. i think i'd be great in a dealership or a motorcycle shop.

well, anyways.....thats me

Old 10-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

^ I know what your saying Jay, but it does not always work. I got into being a tech cause i loved working on cars. I got my first one when i was 14 and worked on it for 2 years till i could drive. I used to love working on my car/truck or whatever i had at the time. Now if i have to work on the Camaro, its a chore. Its like crap i worked on cars all day, now i gotta go work on mine, ****. I had even considered getting into the Motorcycle field, it shouldnt be a hard jump, but i almost dont want to ruin working on those too.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ yeah i can see what you're saying. but w/ the mileage i rack up it would save me SO much money lol.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Get some tools and learn. I will let you in on a little secret, turning wrenches isnt all that hard

Old 10-18-2008, 10:04 AM

Hey Tk i can side with you. I am a track vehicle mechanic and dont mind going to work(army) and turning wrenches what so ever. Now coming home and my cars need oil changes after working all week, im usually like forget it itll wait. As far as my carrer, the unit im in i think has gone to **** compared to where we were.I do enjoy coming in and working on **** but my unit doesnt make me care to much for coming into work motivated. Ive been in this unit since dec 04 so ive seen the changes. But all in all im satisfied with my job, until special forces or warrent officer school comes knockin on the door

Quick Reply: Are You Doing Something You Love (your job/career)?