Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

buying a bike with a lien?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: buying a bike with a lien?

i am a notary and a finance manager at a car dealer and deal with titles all the time and to save alot of typing ill say thatkinkead is right on the money, thats what i would do if i was gonna buy a bike with a lien on it. that being said....its too much of a hassle to bother.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:38 PM

A few things about buying a vehicle, if you don't want a headache, only look at bikes when the seller hasa clean and cleartitle in hand. Also, get to know your state laws/requirements. Is it a paper title or electronic? Like someone else said go to their web site and check out the FAQ's.

Go over the title w/ a microscope. Make sure the VIN on the title matches the VIN on the bike. Check EVERYTHING, from mileage (make sure it didn't get rolled back, or gauge switch), no lien, etc. Anything doesn't match up or look right, walk away.

I finally got my title for my bike, after a year. It was a huge headache, lots of hoops to jump through. In the end it was worth it, but I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through it. I've learned about how the system works and w/ what I have learned is that if there is any flags about the title, walk away.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:26 PM

I'm a loan interviewer for a credit union in WI. This is how it works here.

-First I would ask to see the title to make sure it is in the persons name who is selling it.
-A bill of sale is made up and signed by both parties (notorized if you want but not necessary) for tax purposes. This is where I see some people say they sold the vehicle for $1 just to get out of paying a lot of taxes. NAUGHTY NAUGHTY! (in borat voice)
-Both parties go into the financial institution and the loan is paid off. You may get a print out showing that the loan is paid off and on the spot they will give you a lien release signed by someone important.
-The buyer takes the lien release to the DMV and gets the lien holder removed and a new title printed in his/her name.

Mike

Old 04-15-2008, 07:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Nauree

I got a question.

My friends bother has a 03 GSXR 600. Lost the title for the bike. Wants to sell it for $1000. Its just been sitting for awhile now and just needs a washing and simple maintance. If I buy it will a Bill of Sale be enough to prove I own the bike? Not really looking to get it street legal.
if he just lost the title for the bike have him get a replacement title (if it really is in his name) give him the money for the replacement title plus some for the pain in the *** it is to even step foot in a DMV.

I had alittle trouble when i first bought my bike, i drove 2 hours to Orlando to pick it up, got the bike and the signed title. the guy told me he was selling it for a buddy. I get home and take the title to the DMV to get it put in my name and it turns out it is the wrong title, another one was issued so the one i got was void, i about **** my pants, lucky the guy was cool about it and got his friend to mail me the new title pretty quick.

anyways, if you are at the bank that it holding the lein i dont think it would be a problem at all, it seems like it would be even more legit then title in hand (more of a hassle though) because you have a bank signing off on it.