Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Britain re-thinking stance on guns.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dang, I'm just impressed that Juliet lives in a frikkin castle ... with a moat

Old 11-06-2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Juliet
So we have our safe parts as well as our bad parts ... I do not know America well at all but I hear things like the Bronx is really bad yet places like PA are lovely and peaceful so it all depends where you are ....
Jules
Heh, dunno if you know it. But 'Philly' is short for Philadelphia, PA Pennsylvania is simply HUGE. The majority of a trip from here to Indiana (bout 8 hrs) was simply crossing Pennsylvania. So PA as a whole is lovely and peaceful simply because there is so much empty space.

Now hop on your CBR and come to my neighborhood. I live on the edge of 2 major colleges, University of Pennsylvania and Drexel. Technically the area I live in is called University City. And essentially it is exactly what it sound like: a nice-ish area where you see book toting college kids walking to their destinations. But I did say I live 'on the edge'. My girlfriend is from Cape Cod, MA. When she moved in with me I took her outside, pointed at the street at the end of the block and said "See that street? You do not cross it after dark without me". The street is Powelton Ave for those who know Philly.

200' - 300' from Powelton Ave, on the side I told her not to go after dark, I was held up. Not simply at gunpoint. I had to look down the barrel of a .12 gauge shotgun. The guy got the $20 I carry in my wallet. And 2 blocks from where I was mugged, at 39th & Lancaster, is the 16th Police District (I was robbed at 40th & Powelton).

I seriously doubt the mugger did what I did: legally purchase / register a gun and apply for a license to carry a concealed weapon. On rare occasions I have to pass that spot after dark (closest place to buy a 12 pack of beer, I have to be dying of thirst and my girlfriend is out of her fruity Arbor Mist wine-juice). Any time I do, 2 things are guaranteed:
  1. I walk in the street, not on the sidewalk
  2. My .380 is fully ready to be drawn and fired (holster unsnapped, round chambered and safety off)

I don't normally carry without at least one of them engaged

Old 11-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chainstretcher
Dang, I'm just impressed that Juliet lives in a frikkin castle ... with a moat
That is Beeston Castle, I live next door to it ... if you ever come to the UK I will take you to the top and show you the meaning of peace, tranquilty and a world where nothing really matters, just nothing.... oh, hang on where were we, oh yes them nasty gun things, yeppers thems for hurting peeps for sure!! ;-)

Jules

Old 11-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kuro... it's funny, but it's not... if you know what I mean.

My sister got her doctorate at UPenn and I've been through your neighborhood many times. It's pretty much "Don't go north"... (or west... or south.. or east..) LOL.. (jk)
She lived on 40th/Pine. She got mugged not far from the University. (She actually works at Drexell now... )

I here you on the size of this state, too. I live in the south, and I have a lot of family in the Erie/south Erie area. It takes me about 6hrs at speed to visit my grandparents.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is Beeston Castle, I live next door to it ... if you ever come to the UK I will take you to the top and show you the meaning of peace, tranquilty and a world where nothing really matters, just nothing...
DAM, stretch... you gonna let that go? I'd prolly be on a plane by now if I were you. Peace, tranquility, where nothing else matters?? Sounds good to me...

(so can you crash at the castle, Jules? I could just bum food and stuff off you, but get my mail at the castle....lol..)

Old 11-06-2009, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout

(so can you crash at the castle, Jules? I could just bum food and stuff off you, but get my mail at the castle....lol..)

Crash on this island and we're never letting you off ... but we do a hell of a cheese burger!! ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SppCKyg2Fx4

Old 11-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Default interesting ......nearly missed the thread

Well ........UK law enforcement really do at this point need to be completely armed.
Nothing worse than having law enforcement people being laid waste and out gunned
by professional criminals ..........simply no sense to it.

After that it's a matter of demographics and geographic s or vice versa .....as in
where you are and the demographics of that location.

Then there's the ever more prevalent random acts of that seem to be popping up
anywhere and everywhere...........that makes for a personal decision to carry a
personal firearm for self defense or not ......... I choose to carry simply because
if I ever (hopefully never will) find my self in the situation where someone else
is deciding whether or not I walk the earth or not ........then I'd like to weigh in
with a very clear personal point of view regarding the outcome of such an encounter.

Aside from that I love to shoot recreationally and have always done so since I was a
kid. Also working with L.E . I ' m around firearms 24x7 and never actually really
think about it a whole lot as a result .....except for now of course.

And of course in Maine USA .........well a having a firearm is best compared to say ..........
having a mailbox outside your house.......everyone has one ...........
and guess ?? what home invasions / burgulary is minimal ......criminals know most people are are armed

That's the way I see it..........but acknowledge it's different for everyone
and largely influenced by your location and demographic.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sprockaholic
Well ........UK law enforcement really do at this point need to be completely armed.
Nothing worse than having law enforcement people being laid waste and out gunned
by professional criminals ..........simply no sense to it.

I completely agree with you ..gosh, horror, yes despite my hatred of guns I concede a point ... also I have shot guns myself, my ex took me to a gun club and I let me fire his Colt 45 with a compensator, still a hell of kick ... he told me my aim wasnt bad but my groupings were good ..he said I should take it up as a hobby, I said if I have time to shoot guns recreationally, I have time to shoot pictures instead which I prefer, make love not war, but I will leave the handling of guns to those that well...arent me :-)

Jules

Last edited by Juliet; 11-06-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 PM

and, do you know what I miss here ... Tim(HC) coming in and beating the holy crap out of me for my stupid idealistic posts :-(

Jules

Quick Reply: Britain re-thinking stance on guns.