Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Boldly going off topic here...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boldly going off topic here...

I have been born and raised in Southern California. My immediate family is here (within a mile of each other). I come home from work and my family comes over and as it turns out, they had a family pow-wow without me. It comes out that my family wants to move to Dallas, Texas. Just pull up all our roots, sell the homes, and get outta dodge.

Now, I am not opposed to moving because family is everything. We stick together no matter what. I know there are some of you out there that live in Texas. My sister and I are planning a trip in the next month or so to kind of scope out some neighborhoods that we might want to move to. A little help from my fellow riders please...what are nice areas, where should we avoid looking, fun places to go (cause it can't be all about work), what is the quality of life out there, easy to make new friends?

Any suggestions for a central hotel to stay at and branch out from there? Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Cat

Old 09-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Boldly going off topic here...

it's HOT mang...but no different than the valley...and cost of living...much cheaper than here...so you can get a HUGE home, etc...and have plenty left over...

i'd do it...if i lived in the valley, but i don't...so i'm sticking around!

Old 09-07-2006, 03:01 PM

Hey Tahoe, I just work in the valley. I actually live in "Suburbia", a little town north of the Valley called Thousand Oaks. I know I could buy 3 houses for what mine cost me here. I am looking for a nice neighborhood similiar to what I live in now. And, I can deal with the heat, working in the Valley...108 yesterday!!

Old 09-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, its not so much the heat, as the humudity. and the random weather changes. pouring rain, sunny and hot as hell 5 minutes later. really wierd. the people are nice here, atleast in san antonio they are. dont expect to see too many cowboys and cowgirls as we all dont ride horses. i actually dont see horses anywhere. whenever i go to san diego, everyone is like, "where is your cowboy hat and boots?" yeah right! anyways, wish i could tell you specifics but i dont live in dallas so i cant, but welcome to the state! atleast you will be pretty close to TWS, a damn nice track here in TX. good luck.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:45 PM

Used to live in Blue Ridge. Back outside of McKinney. Not saying I would locate or even look there but was wondering if anyone else has ever heard of it?

Old 09-07-2006, 10:34 PM

Plano, TX is near Dallas, and VERY affordable if you are used to living in SoCal. I'm not sure about the social scene, or what it's like to find a job there, but good luck in any case.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:54 PM

Plano, TX is near Dallas, and VERY affordable if you are used to living in SoCal. I'm not sure about the social scene, or what it's like to find a job there, but good luck in any case.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:36 PM

Dallas is awesome, I was born and raised just north of there, I'd spend weekends cruising the area and used to work there. What you'd probably pay for a squater of a home in SoCal would get you a rockin place in N. Tx. Dallas has grown so much that almost entire N. Tx kinda blends into one huge place. You can live right outside Dallas depending on what kind of commute you want, and have alittle more peace and quiet. As far as entertainment, Dallas is awesome, pretty good music scene (nothin like 6th street in Austin though) and you got the West End, brick streets, bars, resteraunts, clubs shopping, a little bit for everyone in a nice atmosphere, and if you wanna get a little more rowdy, head down to Deep Ellum (people say it like Debellum) It's Ellum street, just deep into it! And thats where you find the hangouts, bars, ink shops and so on. Theres plenty of prefessional sports in the area, lots of lakes around for water recreation, and you can't beat those friendly Texans, you'll notice a huge difference in the way folks act there. Your not far from a little mini road trip for the weekend either, San Antonio is right down the road, Schliterbaun, I think worlds largest waterpark, the riverwalk...tons of stuff. Theres allot to do, don't know about job market, but don't know what you do for a living, even if I did, I still wouldn't..lol, I'm sure you'll miss home, but it's waaaaay cheaper to live and the folks are a hell of allot more down to earth and nicer. I would say the only downside is the weather compared to SoCal, I see thats it's pretty much nice year round. In N. Tx, In winter, it gets cold as all ****, and summer gets hotter than ****. I was there last year and in winter it got down to 28 and summer hit 105 with 100% hummidity. But spring and fall are both awesome, so are the summers, hit the lakes or head down-town for the ladies (theres something in the water, the girls are....woooo man.) Lots of really cool places really, just a fun place to be. Anyway, thats just my .02

Old 09-08-2006, 02:10 AM

Hey Shocktroop, I AM A LADY!!! LOL!!! Yeah, I know, you didn't expect that one! But, anyways, appreciate the input. I am glad that you mentioned N. Dallas cause that is where I think my sis and I are going to start looking. Can you reccomend a hotel that is central to the area?

Thanks- Cat

Old 09-08-2006, 03:25 AM

Thousand Oaks is a pretty cool place to live and I definately wouldnt move but it would be pretty cool to go there for a year or two for some experience points.

Hey Tahoe where do you live? In Tahoe? A place for me to stay come Jan?

Quick Reply: Boldly going off topic here...