Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Blackberry Storm...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Blackberry Storm...

ORIGINAL: ebinz88cane

ORIGINAL: D2VW14_20

VooDoo , how is the texting/emailing on that type of touchscreen??? I know its different form the iphone, just didnt know if you had to press super hard for it ro recognize for how it was.
I dont voodoo has his yet... but its not as bad as everyone made it out to be.. easy to txt, and email. I havent had much trouble at all.. hit the wrong key a couple times but nothing major. the surepress feel natural to me.. because never owning the iphone I dont know the difference ya know?

I was wondering how it was. Because all the reviews Ive read/watched, theyve showed them pressing super hard or not emailing/texting very fast, so I didnt know how fast you could go or if you actually had to take your time and press down hard on each key. On the iphone if you drag your finger across the screen, all the letters you hit will recognize, which I hate, casue of typos, but Id rather it do that then have to timelessly press down each key harder until it recognizes.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:49 PM

But wont the OTA programming be off????
OTA programming rarely works on flashed phones...it usually only works if a phone of the same make/model exists on the network it was flashed to, this is why people usually have to manually enter in their MDN and MIN. Not sure if the CDMA blackberries have this ability(i dont see why not)but if a phone can have a PRL flashed to it then the settings can usually be manually set within the same software suite. For instance....the verizon razrs that i've flashed cricket PRL's to wont OTA....unless i completely flash the entire firmware over to cricket(cricket is like metro in case anyone is wondering), so to avoid customer confusion i flash the prl AND set the MDN and MIN ahead of time so all the customer needs to do is call in with the new ESN. I'm sure nobody has bothered to do so with a BB thought because of the complexity of their data services

I was never a fan of suretype and not too happy with most phones T9 text entry....the iPhones(2 of them) that i had weren't bad but its so much better having actual buttons to push. i find it much easier to push those tiny buttons on my curve than to mess around with the iPhones keyboard even in landscape mode

Old 12-08-2008, 11:53 PM

Huh, I guess I just dont see how it could work, but I believe you. I just figured it wouldnt be able to Que in just like an unlocked sidekick wouldnt work with AT&T. The internet wont recognize because it runs off a distinct plan that AT&T didnt carry. You may be right, I just dont see it happening. Also, they would have to add the ESN to their network to get it to work. Thats the hard part.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:05 AM

Huh, I guess I just dont see how it could work, but I believe you. I just figured it wouldnt be able to Que in just like an unlocked sidekick wouldnt work with AT&T. The internet wont recognize because it runs off a distinct plan that AT&T didnt carry. You may be right, I just dont see it happening.
(not arguing in case someone sees it as that)On the contrary....phone calls and text messages will work on a sidekick with an at&t sim(its been done) it's just the data services(which go through a completely different server) that wouldn't work...same with blackberries. Each service provider has a different "server" for it's blackberries...if i pop a at&t sim card in my BB and that sim card is linked to an account with a BB data plan on it then my phone will get the service books upon registering with the network(powering back up) and it will be able to utilize the bb specific things like push email and what not...

Phone calls and text messages go through pretty much the same data channel...just hi and low...which is why everyone except nextel can get texts while on the phone. MMS goes through on BB's WITHOUT a data plan because they go through a seperate channel, different from the internet data channel, which is why carriers charge picture messages as that and not data(if you don't have an unlimited plan), on BB's pretty much everything outside of Phone/Text/MMS is dependant on a BB data plan being present, without that data plan you can say bye bye to all the cool things about a blackberry. BUT with a wap package you can still access/browse the net through the wap browser as long as you have properly configured "TCP" under options, advanced, tcp. I know all of this from working for every major US cellular carrier within the last 4 years or so, and i'm a phone junkie..my bb curve is phone number 11 for the year...not because they break either

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/t-z...99-plan-20297/

It works the same on rogers, and in theory it would work on a network without bb servers(metro or cricket)

Old 12-09-2008, 12:09 AM

Huh, I guess I just dont see how it could work, but I believe you. I just figured it wouldnt be able to Que in just like an unlocked sidekick wouldnt work with AT&T. The internet wont recognize because it runs off a distinct plan that AT&T didnt carry. You may be right, I just dont see it happening. Also, they would have to add the ESN to their network to get it to work. Thats the hard part.
we both keep editing our messages lol. Adding a foreign ESN isn't hard..it's as simple as punching it into the system(i've done it countless times with foreign esn's), some carriers just don't want to do it. Metro was one of those companies until cricKet started openly accepting foreign ESN's, then they had to match their competition

Old 12-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

nerds [:@].. hahaha

Old 12-09-2008, 01:14 AM

yea.. lost me along time ago. hahaha I just know I already have verizon so that wasnt an issue.. and its cool phone! lol

Old 12-09-2008, 01:59 AM

ORIGINAL: HAVOC

nerds [:@].. hahaha
Oh you want help choosing a phone do you? Tough **** lol...j/p

Old 12-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Retired Moderator

Wolfy and D2...you guys cool it. You are making my head hurt! Too much information to process...brain hurting...can't comprehend. Okay, so's I ordered phones today. I wanted one, so my wife wanted one. She doesn't even keep her phone charged and plays point and click video games on the PC. I am so stoked we are spending all this money for her to have a new Blackberry. I told her she has to start texting people like 50x a day and live on that thing. Also, she said she would pay for her own service. It is going to be about $100/ month I figure. $45 for the data plan, $30 for the email, and whatever for the minutes. We got the phones for $150 each after 25% off and a $50 rebate. Seems like a good price. They are backordered so I am about three weeks out. Just in time for Christmas I guess.

D2, I have never had a Blackberry or any type of touch screen phone before so I won't know the difference in sensitivity when I get mine. If I have any questions, I will definitely come back here and ask.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sm=hail.gif]Iphone