Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Blackberry Storm...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Blackberry Storm...

ORIGINAL: isolated1523

To each his own. I've had nextel for the last 8 years, and no issues. Just don't have much service here at Ft. Campbell. Sprint has service here, and i was able to switch with no fees/contract obligations since they merged.
I was with verizon for yearssss.When sprint bought them out I started having alot of connection issues.We even dropped them at work.

I am with verizon now and love it.If you are an existing verizon customer the new storm is only 200 bux.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: D2VW14_20

I just found out the Storm (even from Verizon) can be unlocked for CDMA as well as GSM companies
What does that mean...I am getting one, but I don't know what unlocking a phones does. I have a **** phone with **** service so I have no clue.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:47 PM

freakin sweet phone..

Old 12-08-2008, 10:48 PM

Well its released on a CDMA network but still uses a SIM and has the ability to run off GSM Frequency, Im Excited!!!!

Old 12-08-2008, 10:49 PM

Verizon is buying alltel

Old 12-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

Well its released on a CDMA network but still uses a SIM and has the ability to run off GSM Frequency, Im Excited!!!!
hmmm you might have just broken my heart D2... i have a local service called Metro PCS and it doesnt use sim cards. ive been told that any cdma phone can be plashed to work on their service as long as it doesnt use a sim card.. so i wonder where this would leave me [>:]

Old 12-08-2008, 10:55 PM

But I dont know if it will run off the 2G network though, only 3G, Bummer, I need to investigate! ..... I had Alltell, I hated it. CS blows pipe, thats for sure!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:01 PM

I just found out the Storm (even from Verizon) can be unlocked for CDMA as well as GSM companies
Not all GSM signals can be used with the storm...just so happens the US frequencies are compatible. CDMA devices aren't locked per-say....just programmed for a different network. GSM phones are most of the time Locked...which just means it can but won't accept another simcard/carriers service until unlocked. My advice for those of you looking to get a BB...get the bold avoid the storm...storms seem to be very laggy...and it's like twice the weight of the curve.

VP...if you want the GSM version that bad...just get the rogers one(Canadian CDMA carrier) and unlock it....no use pissing around with anything from the red bars of death(verizon)

On a side note...who has bb's? exchange pins??

Old 12-08-2008, 11:01 PM

I think this is the first CDMA using a SIM. It is on Verizon which is CDMA. But the Quad Frequencies it runs off allows both CDMA and GSM. It depends on what your carrier runs off of but I think with Metro you have to flash anything that isnt their phone for them to recognize it, it should be able to work though,

Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 PM

ORIGINAL: HAVOC

hmmm you might have just broken my heart D2... i have a local service called Metro PCS and it doesnt use sim cards. ive been told that any cdma phone can be plashed to work on their service as long as it doesnt use a sim card.. so i wonder where this would leave me [>:]
Havoc....if it hasn't been done yet it will be done soon....here is the thing though...your carrier doesn't have blackberries or the ability to serve them....getting a blackberry would be useless for you because only phone calls and text messaging would work...basic internet COULD be configured also BUT none of the BB native apps that use the net would work....and some if not most 3rd party apps wouldn't work either....trust me...not worth the time

Edit for replied post from D2

He would be able to use the basic wap browser by using the same "hack" that people use to get basic wap functionality on BB's on tmobile for only 5.99(the tzones package) instead of adding the BIS package for 19.99