Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

bike and car Hardtimes

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 05:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike and car Hardtimes

This last week has been rough, first I blew the motor in my car over the weekend. Have been riding everyday to wherever I have to go. (no problem there) Then after 4 days of straight work, I go to hop on my F4i to find the battery dead. I get a jump and ride to the dealer, they charge it up and off I go, back to work on my car.next morning dead again. I get a ride to go buy a new battery, $129, and come back to find that all of my tools have been stolen from my car. My 270 piece Craftsman set along with a full set of SnapOn T-handle allens gone. I'm a PFC in the Army, don't make squat for money, and all this falls on me at once. I got a broke car, a fresh bike battery, and no more tools to put it all together. To top it off we're pretty much booked from August till about 2 years from then between NTC and Iraq. Somehow I have to get things back together before I leave so my vehicles are not just wasting away in the parking lot of the barracks till I get back. Sorry to vent, but I'm also interestedto hear your hard times stories, maybe It'll ease some tension over here. thanks.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: bike and car Hardtimes

everytime i scraped up enough money for a bike, something would happen to my 1996 chevy camaro z28...i went through 2 blown engines, 2 broken fuel pumps, a broken transmission, and countless flat tires...finally said **** it, and after i won some dough playing cards, i spent it on my cbr (even though z28 was sitting in garage with blown engine #2)

Old 06-21-2007, 05:13 AM

btw i have a 96 camaro z28 for sale if anyones interested!

Old 06-21-2007, 05:21 AM

sorry to hear that bro, hope things start getting better soon, "nights always darkest before dawn"

Old 06-21-2007, 06:23 AM

damn that sucks, on top of that u headed to the desert in cali then to paradise for 15 months. ive been threw hard times as well but thats everybody. best advice i can give u seein as how i been in 3 years, been to numerous field exercises, been to ntc, and now am in bagdhad (8 months in, 7 left not expected to start redeployin until january) is hold on to the car i dont know if ur squad leader or section sgt told u but u can get a a.e.r. loan for the amount to fix ur car and pay back in payments. there are to many resources in the army to help wit unexpected problems like this. pay the money to get it towed to a good shop that u have researched and get a aer loan. trust me u will be back on the road soon enough becuz before u deploy after ntc u will get alotta time off to get stuff done and go home to see family. use ur resources to get ur sh*t fixed, ur not gonna get paid like civilians in iraq but its a pretty good penny especially if ur single and have very few bills. hope this helps and if u got questions just lemme know, also gettin married before u go will bring in seperation, housin, and seperates pay which turns into bank.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:07 AM

damn cat either you got a lemon or you beat the living **** out of that car. besided the opti most people get 150-170 out of an lt1. the 4l60e is week and if you have that i can some what understand the 3-4 slip but that doesnt occur till upper miles or a lot of abuse im suprise the 10 bolt didnt blow.

ah im like a roller coster. there was a week when my g/f broke up with me. then i blew the motor in my blazer which was my own fault [&:], and then had an accident on the motorcycle all in a 3 day span. and a few weeks after that the tranny in my toyota paseo went out that was at 123,000 and at 107 i had just replaced the motor[:-]. needless to say when the tow truck came i just said take it to the junk yard. but we all have are ups and downs

hope things get better for ya bro

Old 06-21-2007, 10:53 AM

Highpwr600, that sucks. I think most people have gone through that at times, but you get to be taken away from your stuff for god knows how long. One the bright side, at least you don't need to worry about transportation when you leave. Also, are you saying that your car got broken into on the base?? If so it's pretty sad that tyou can't trust the people you are going to have to go into battle with.

Catamayo85, I'd bet that you had a V-6 in that thing. the Chevy engines are normally pretty reliable, especially teh 3.1 and the 3.4v-6, but especially the v-8 engines. The transmissions are the same as they put in trucks and they last a few hundred thousand miles. Just plain bad luck.

As for my story, I was driving a POS 91 Chevy Lumina that needed about everything to be fixed. I got a bonus from work two years ago at year end and I was able to buy a decent (what I thought was decent) used car. Paid $3,800 for a 95 Chrysler Cirrus V-6. The thing ran great, but about a month after I bought it, I came out of a bank and noticed something didn't look right on the bottom of the car. As I checked out the lower rocker panels, I realized that both of them had just disintegrated and it was just empty rusted out space. OK, I felt like I screwed up. Then one year ago in December, the transmission goes out. My wife was the only one who drove it and she maybe put 3k miles on it the whole year. $1,600 to fix. After another maybe 3k mile year, I get a call last December from my wife telling me the car is messed up. I have it towed to the dealer where they say it will cost me $1,850 to replace the two computers in the car. I had enough with this POS and it is now sitting in my driveway waiting to be sold for parts. No way I am going to keep adding $2k into this thing when it was only woth the $3,800 to start with. I'm lucky that I have been able to fix a lot of the stuff on both my car and truck by myself. I shudder when i think of how much money I would have had to pay a mechanic for all the work I have done myself. (probably wouldn't even own my house right now) Now that I have my F2, I have started replacing a pile of stuff on that too. Lucky for me, most of the cycle parts I have had to buyare fairly cheap compared to auto stuff.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: MikeInCtown

Catamayo85, I'd bet that you had a V-6 in that thing. the Chevy engines are normally pretty reliable, especially teh 3.1 and the 3.4v-6, but especially the v-8 engines. The transmissions are the same as they put in trucks and they last a few hundred thousand miles. Just plain bad luck.

it was the 350 LT1...both times were my fault really, first time i was racing this punk *** kid who thought his subaru wrx was bad ***, the second time i was so pissed cuz i was shoveling my car outta the snow for about an hour, then when i got out of my parking space, it drifted into another snow bank, after i spent another hour shoveling it outta that one, i got stuck AGAIN! i was pissed so i just through it into gear and just floored it...bad idea btw...i hate the snow...