Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Best way to listen to your music in helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the idea in my head after reading the Ipod shuffle thread. I mounted speakers in the ear cut outs, ran all the wiring behind the pads. I used velcro on my helmet in the chin bar. Mount my Ipod shuffle there with the velcro. I can control volume, pause/play, skip/previous there. Nobody can tell it's even there. Most of my riding buddies don't even know, until I point it out to them. I keep the volume just loud enough that I can hear it, but not too loud that it drowns out traffic noise. When I get around to it, I will post a picture of it.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:01 AM

I use the Sena SMH10 with the earbud bracket and have my earbuds wired through my helmet. I love it, I can listen to music via bluetooth, answer phone calls, skip songs, turn the volume up and down. Best $170 I've ever spent, everyone here uses chatterboxes but I can honestly say that the sena out performs it by far.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:19 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the N-com system to my new Nolan helmet a while ago, but didn't use it for long cause the mic is annoying and apparently has to be hooked in to hear music, the sound level is also too low, even if I blast at full vol from my phone I can just barely hear it. A bit of a bummer cause the system was about 50e and pretty much useless for me, would have been so convenient to hook the cable to the helmet instead of usind those annoying earbuds that never stay in place and pull when I turn my head. I did use buds in the summer for a few times when driving in traffic on my way from work, but in the morning when I'm going to work it's so early there's hardly ever anyone else so I tend to keep a little harder pace and just listen to the bike and the wind whizzing past me.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used active noise-canceling ear buds and regular ear buds with my iPod. Neither cut wind noise enough to allow listening at less that ear busting volume. Maybe a different helmet is needed? I've had several, and none are really quiet enough to allow music.

The only thing other than wind noise that really comes through when riding is tinnitus.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Originally Posted by DRam
The only thing other than wind noise that really comes through when riding is tinnitus.
At first I wondered why the F did U write that in finnish, but after a short googling it turns out that`s the first word that`s exactly the same in finnish and english...

Old 09-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Senior Member and Montana roustabout :)

I use these. They don't block out all the road noise/wind and the music is a little "tinny". I didn't really want anything that blocks out the 100% of the noise anyway and next time around, I'll use a better quality ear bud. Overall, I'm happy with them...

Old 09-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Administrator - Retired

I usually use my vmoda ear buds and put my ipod classic in my front jacket pocket facing out. Then I push the buttons by either reaching in my pocket or through my jacket.

If I don't have my ipod, I just sing at the top of my lungs.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Muppet of the month August 2012 ROTM

I have a set of Koss ear buds ......canyon riding and long rides its mandatory but at the track I like to hear whats behind me.

I dont feel its a distraction for me in town, I'm very alert and always looking around on the offensive

Old 09-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Ipod with skull candy ear buds. A couple thousand songs to cycle threw, easy to switch songs threw pants even with gloves on, earbuds are as good as ear plugs when the music gets turned off [canyons and such] and I set the volume before I ride, no need to adjust.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:14 PM

Wonder why these modern phones don't have the kind of earbuds the older ones had. i've owned a samsung that had all the controls in a disc in the lead, no need to dig the phone out. i've even had a Sonyericcson that had a lead with all the controls, the mic and a jack in the end so you could plug in whatever buds you liked. Didn't get much easier to use when all you needed was right in your collar.

Quick Reply: Best way to listen to your music in helmet?