Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Best way to listen to your music in helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:11 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Best way to listen to your music in helmet?

Hey member, just wondering how you guy listen to music when riding? I've tried using a head set with my iPhone/IPod...but it's so difficult to change song or adjust volume with riding gloves on...I would be listening to same song over and over again...Unless I manage to stop and manually switch songs...I do, am able to take in-calls though...

Old 09-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

There was a write up a while back about mounting speakers and a shuffle in your helmet.

I find it easy to set a playlist and use earbuds, no song changing required. I try to focus on riding instead of changing songs. But honestly, I don't listen to music that often while riding, I enjoy the sound of the bike. I feel more in control if I can hear my rpms, especially in hard corners.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, there's been a thread or three on music listening & helmet options.

I enjoy music on my twisty rides & longer commute rides. I use Skull Candy or Koss earbuds connected to my phone or mp3 player. These have the volume +/- control on the cord, which makes it easy to turn up/down as necessary at stops or talking to other riders. I put the unit in my jacket pocket for easy access.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

playlists + ipod w/ bluetooth adapter + speakers dismantled from Motorola S305 bluetooth headset.

only problem with this setup is bluetooth volume control since it doesn't work at the ipod (pause and next song buttons work tho) which would be impossible? with gloves anyway. I have the volume buttons on the headset circuitry tucked behind the cheek pad so that doesn't work on the fly either.

so just set playlist and go.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To those of you listening to music with earbuds... Does it make you nervous riding in congested areas, or city? Just wondering because I would be nervous of not hearing sirens, horns, or any other signs of motorists.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:16 PM

A few months ago i had a Monster wireless remote control for my ipod touch, you can use it with gloves and you can Play, Pause, Next song, Previous song, volume up, vol down, lock buttons... it worked for me but i changed my ipod touch 1 to ipod touch 4 and it didnt work with that one...

Old 09-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by miller821
To those of you listening to music with earbuds... Does it make you nervous riding in congested areas, or city? Just wondering because I would be nervous of not hearing sirens, horns, or any other signs of motorists.
For me it's a bit distracting. On an open road, it's better than listening to the voices in my head but around town I feel I'm not 100% alert to my surroundings. I also find myself keeping pace with the music. Being the metal head that I am, that's not always a good thing!

Old 09-14-2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
I also find myself keeping pace with the music. Being the metal head that I am, that's not always a good thing!
that's why Sammy Hagar - I Can't Drive 55 doesn't make my playlist.
might as well just ride to jail.

I'll listen to it here insted.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 PM

I slip the left one between the foam part's on the left side of my helmet. There's a small gap to fit it in conveniently. I have my riding playlist on loop so my hands can stay on my bars.

Last edited by Shueisha; 09-14-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 09-14-2012, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by miller821
I've listened to music basically since I started riding. I'm actually more distracted if my phone dies and I can't listen to music.

I run Google Music through my phone, but I can't adjust the volume or change the song. I've considered a mounting bracket on my triple tree, but I haven't done it yet.

Quick Reply: Best way to listen to your music in helmet?