Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Best Riding Roads

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Riding Roads

I came up with this idea to find the best riding road in Utah. Or at least the best road accessible to me. Then I was watching an old episode of Top Gear and Jeremy asked Patrick Stewart if America had any good driving roads and the only thing Stewart could come up with is a section of Sunset Blvd. with three consecutive bends. I thought to myself, "that's rubbish, Patty boy." I know California has tons of good places to ride and drive, like Mulholland, for example.

Here's the idea I came up with: Post a review about your favorite road, sections of a road, etc, grade it on the points I will describe below, and post a google maps/google earth map of it (if you want one done like the one I've included, PM me). Let me know if you think there should be any other grading categories. Here it goes:

Road Name:
Squaw Peak Trailhead Road

Provo Canyon, Utah

Loop or Backtrack:

Backtrack

Length:

Approx. 5 miles (one way)

(1-10 scale, 1 = low, 10 = high)

Motor Traffic:

2-6

This road leads to a lookout point over the valley, thus, weekend nights have a lot more traffic.

*Note: At 1, you would be very unlikely to see any other motor traffic (different from cars parked on the side of the road). At 10, you would have traffic more like you would see on a canyon freeway, like I-70 or I-80 in the mountains.

Non-motor Traffic (bikes, peds, etc.):

This is also a popular road for bicyclist, but they are typically good about sticking to the shoulder and not riding out of single file.

Police Presence:

Can't say I've ever seen police up there or heard of anyone who has. They're too busy setting up speed traps just up the canyon.

*edit: Added Police Presence. Not encouraging irresponsible riding, but nobody likes to be hassled when they're out having fun.

Wildlife:

Although half of it is in National Forest, the most you're likely to see are some squirrels or golden eagles. Since much of the road has a steep drop-off on one side, deer are not often seen crossing.

Road Conditions:

The road is well maintained; smooth, level, and fairly wide. Debris on the road is minimal, and mostly where people park on the side of the road to access a shooting range near the bottom.

Visibility:
2-5

Considering its many switchbacks, visibility around corners is good. This last season, the forest service cleared most of the shrubs and saplings back away from the road several yards. Caution should still be taken around turns watching for road debris, bicyclists, and oncoming traffic swinging wide or cutting sharp.

*edit: I realized I wasn't very objective about this. I know the road well and know at what points I should be able to see cars if there are any.

Hazards:

The road is mostly on the side of the mountain and there is no guard rail. There are several turns that could be fatal if you break too late.

Fun:

For me, pretty much all the conditions add up for a 10 except how hazardous it is. I don't feel I can push myself to the edge on many turns because if I accidentally push myself just past it, I'll be lucky if I'm hiking back up to the road.

Attached Thumbnails Best Riding Roads-squaw-peak-road-pano.jpg  

Last edited by kowen1208; 06-20-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My favorite road

My favorite road is in Cali. highway 49 near Yosemite National Park.It's about 30 miles of 15 to 50 mph turns rarely any cars or leos.There are no guard rails so if you make a mistake you either hit the mountain rocks or go over the edge.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/picture.p...&pictureid=329

Old 06-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny you brought this up. Found this last week: Pennsylvania Motorcycle Roads and Trips

Not planning on hitting any of them till I get new tires and some real pants

Old 06-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good idea kowen1208! Here's my contribution...

Road Name:
Palomar Mountain (Co Hwy S7) - "Pally" is one of Southern CA's best known riding roads. There are many other great riding roads but for twisty-lovers, Pally is one of the best. [Next to Pally, I'd recommend Montezuma Valley Rd (mountain rd) that twists its way from the top of the mountains in the Anza-Borrego State Park to the town of Borrego-Springs, CA, at the bottom.]

San Diego County, CA - North San Diego County.

Length:
From Hwy 76 to top via ("tight side") at Mother's Restaurant (biker's hangout) = approx 7 mi.
From top down backside ("fast side") to Hwy 76 = approx 12 mi.

(1-10 scale, 1 = low, 10 = high) The rankings I list are based on my own observation but I tried to be as
objective as a reasonable person would be...

Motor Traffic:
1-10 Depends on day(s)
weekends = 7-10 (Get there early for fewer cagers)
weekdays = 1-4 (except in summer, when tourists are going to Palomar Observatory or park)

Non-motor Traffic:
1-10 Depends on day(s)...
weekends = 7-10
weekdays = 1-4 (same as above reason)
Popular for bicyclists. This is where the Tour of California was held last yr. Many world rated cyclists train here.

Wildlife:
Forest area

Road Conditions:
9 on tight side.
7 on fast side...patchwork repair to damaged pavement & some weathering.

Visibility:
1-3 on tight side...its tight twisties after all! ;-) Many switchbacks.
1-7 on fast side...still twisty but longer straights & sweepers.

Hazards:
7-10
Its a mountain road! Twisties, newbs/squids, tourists, bicyclists, wildlife. The road is generally clean,
except in winter w/ run-off.

Fun:
10+++

*** Let you fingers do the walking & check it out on Google maps or equiv.

Last edited by gotcbr; 06-20-2010 at 01:36 PM.