Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Winter riding -- i.e. salt and sand on roads

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter riding -- i.e. salt and sand on roads

So I live in New England, and its forecasted to be 57 degrees Friday. And to those who do not live in a place that has winter, this is considered "warm" this time of year.

So obviously I have a HUGE urge to take the bike out for a spin... My only concern is that there is still salt on the roads from plows.

Anyone know if the salt will f-up my bike? Im thinking I should be smarter about it and just wait.....

Old 02-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know salt allows rust to set in faster so you should give your bike a good wash after your ride. Other than that though id imagine it being like riding with sand on the road and i wouldnt like that.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:44 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
I know salt allows rust to set in faster so you should give your bike a good wash after your ride. Other than that though id imagine it being like riding with sand on the road and i wouldnt like that.
I agree. Take it out for a ride then give it a good wash and you will be fine. Salt is not the best for metal parts but if you wash it off it will cause no harm. Think about your car. You drive that in the salt right and it doesn't instantly rust. Same with the bike. Just make sure to be careful cause the salt can be slick especially with cold tires.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:56 PM

It is supposed to be 60 here Friday and I scheduled my bike to go in for service so I have the same problem as you! The thing that I noticed is that because of all the piles of snow on the side of the street the gravel is more towards the center of the lanes and everywhere when you turn! Be careful and take it easy!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:14 PM

Just take it easy, no fast cornering unless you like to low side on salt/sand. After your ride id wash the bike and get wd40 on your chain (lube it sometime later, wd40 gets water out of the chain) and calipers (not rotors).

Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

im picking up the bike from a guy i bought it from this week......im planing on riding it home as well. ill have to wash it and it should be fine. i was going to trailer it but i just cant wait to ride it.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 PM

i rode my bike sunday cause it was a little warm,fell due to the salt and sand on the ground that i didnt see..i was going slow and have a cage so neither me nor my bike was F-ed up but be careful...i rode it in the city today and there much more attentive with the city,had no problem..

Old 02-16-2011, 07:06 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dissevered
After your ride id wash the bike and get wd40 on your chain (lube it sometime later, wd40 gets water out of the chain)
I can't recommend putting WD40 on a chain. It is a penetrant and thus could get behind the o-rings and breakdown the grease in there.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
I can't recommend putting WD40 on a chain. It is a penetrant and thus could get behind the o-rings and breakdown the grease in there.

Everyone act like you didn't read this so this thread does not turn into another debate over whether or not to use wd40!

Anyways, I think Ill toughen it out a few weeks more and hold off on going for a ride.....I hate winter....

Old 02-16-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by kazspeed
So I live in New England, and its forecasted to be 57 degrees Friday. And to those who do not live in a place that has winter, this is considered "warm" this time of year.

So obviously I have a HUGE urge to take the bike out for a spin... My only concern is that there is still salt on the roads from plows.

Anyone know if the salt will f-up my bike? Im thinking I should be smarter about it and just wait.....
South Dakota here. Yesterday it was 48ish and the girls track team were running, back to the short shorts. Last weekend there were a few bikes out also. Tomorrow we will break 60, it will be super hard to keep the bike in the garage.

Its crazy how a couple of months with below zero temps can make 50 feel warm.

Ill be taking mine out next month, hopefully some street sweepers will come by and take away all that brown ice.

Quick Reply: Winter riding -- i.e. salt and sand on roads