Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Best invention ever

Old 09-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best invention ever

maybe this needs to be on another part of the forum, but I just got done cleaning my chain with kerosene which took about an hour (chain and sprocket) for it to be good but not perfect. So I got the lube out for the chain, and start spraying, and watched as all the grime i COULDNT get off, simply fell right off. Even parts of the sprocket i couldnt reach by hand, and if i could have would have taken 10 minutes each, were narrowed down to 10 seconds, perfectly clean. Well I ended up using the whole can, but it was WELL worth it. I dont know if all lubes do this, but I got the Dupont Teflon Lubricant that someone suggested a while back. Best $5 I ever spent.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Best invention ever

Does the stuff stay on yer chain or does it start flying off at speed and spooge the tail section plastic?

Old 09-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Dont let your chain go so long between cleanings. If you keep up, a little wd40 and a rag will clean it in 2 minutes.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:27 PM

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

Dont let your chain go so long between cleanings. If you keep up, a little wd40 and a rag will clean it in 2 minutes.
From my experience, WD40 works great for removing the grime, but makes the chain wax fling more. I went to a .9 parts SimpleGreen to 1 part H20 mix after feeling that kerosene is too harsh.

Maxima Chain Wax is ballaaaar!

Old 09-13-2008, 09:09 PM

I use the Dupont Teflon too. I have polished rims, and even after a heavy dose, I don't get any fling or gunk on my rim. It goes on easy, and is a whole lot cheaper than BelRay, PJ1, Motul, Maxxima, Motorex. For me it lasts just as long if not longer. It doesn't attract dirt all that much so I can go longer between cleanings. I just lube it up every 500 or so miles. More often if the conditions are dirty.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:19 PM

The chains dirtiness was no fault of mine, the guy I bought it from seems like he NEVER cleaned it, today was the first time in the month I've had it that I've had a chance to clean it. It was so bad the sprocket was black rather than grey/silver which it is now, as was the chain. There was cakes of grime where the sprocket touched the chain and the stuff just built up. My chain used to make so much noise I could hear it when my friend drove my bike and i was on his, and I have a D&D muffler on mine!!! Now I cant hear a thing except for normal chain noise (when it's on the jacks I can hear it when I spin it, no such noise when riding, used to be able to hear it at low speeds)

I ended up using the whole can on this one cleaning, so there's no worry about insufficient lubrication.

And no, chainstretch, the lube DOESNT fly off, it dries in a couple minutes. It's not greasy like most lubes and isnt loose.

The Dupont Lube isnt as popular as it should be, it's not designated specifically for chain lube. I actually got lube from a bike shop when I got my tire replaced and have yet to crack it open, I went and bought the Dupont instead.

I'm singing the praises of this lube for the rest of my life.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try the Valvoline synthetic spray. It's white, doesn't fling, and keeps the chain well lubed.
Good for those of us with white rims.....

Old 09-14-2008, 12:53 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motul sells FANTASTIC chain cleaner that just dissolves all the grime and it drips off, then you blast it with a hose and it it's absolutely 100% clean.

Then I follow up with the BEST chain wax I've ever used (doesn't fling off, doesn't collect grime, and keeps the chain extremely quiet..........

Old 09-14-2008, 12:55 AM

......I think the Belray lube is what they gave me, I'll try it next time, but I'm telling you, the Dupont worked wonders, I can feel a difference, and that was only the chain

I actually watched my chain slacken a little while applying the lube