Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I just came up with a Motorcycle Invention

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just came up with a Motorcycle Invention

I just thought id share this, It might be a good idea, if not feel free to flame away.

Where I'm living, they wan't to bring in graduated motorcycle liecences. You get to start out on a 250, then a 400 etc

My idea is kinda like the Suzuki driving modes. Lets say you have a 600, the dealership with the bikes computer detunes the motorcycle, to say 50% of the original power. Limiting the top speed, the acceleration etc. When the rider passes the next lieceance or the bikes odemeter shows X amount of miles. They bring it back to the dealership. The mechanic uses a computer that only the dealerships are allowed, to increase the power to 75%, Then once the rider has a full lieceance. the dealership can remove all the restrictions from the computer.

This way a person could get used to riding a 600. And not get stuck on a 250.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Default RE: I just came up with a Motorcycle Invention

Is that even possible?

If it is...whats stopping the new guy from paying off his mechanic friend to increase his power to max?

Old 01-04-2009, 06:04 PM

it COULD work. but im sure most police arent going to want to go through effort of reading a computer to show the power % or whatever. plus im sure shortly after there would be some sort of hack out there to "show" the low power setting even though it was on the unrestricted setting..

Old 01-04-2009, 06:07 PM

seems like a good idea to me if they end up making the graduated license... only thing is im not sure how a 600 would perform (having larger tires and higher weight than a 250) would perform with less than half the power, could put stress on the motor? not really sure.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:07 PM

I think it'll work, make it happen, and if you get caught cheating the system, you get your license revoked for 10 years, problem solved.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:41 PM

I was thinking one way they could reduce the HP, is setting the rev limit alot lower, to say 10 000 RPM's ?

Old 01-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Retired Admin, January 2008 ROTM, Lord of Neon & L.E.D.s

Sounds really good in theory. What would be next though? Doing it so Richie Rich doesn't get to take the family Porche for a spin at 16? You would almost have to do it with cages too. Like I said though. Really good theory if someone were so inclined to follow through with it.
LJ

Old 01-04-2009, 06:47 PM

Why not actually go throught the graduated system? Bike sales for smaller displacement bikes would increase and when people were ready to move up the used bike market gets a bump too. You would also build a strong foundation of skillson the smaller equipment. One of the biggest flaws with the proposed plan is that you are only detuning the machine. Smaller displacement bike tend to be physically smaller and lighter so novice riders can build their skills on appropriately sized equipment.
What happens if you buy a used machine from someone who hasnt graduated to full power? The dealership gets your money to bump you up? No thanks. Technology is not the answer to everything.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in this state at least, you can buy a Hyosung 650 V twin, that is detuned (a governing do hickey thingo installed), the company came up with this idea, so that a lot of potential newbies & born a gains would get this bike so that they would not have bother about upgrading to a bigger bike & suffer the depreciation that goes with new bikes & trade ins. It seems to have worked to, as they seem to sell a few & its a simple matter to remove the restictor once your on your full license. I think its a sound idea, as long as it does not cause to many probs for the bike itself.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pacemaker

Here in this state at least, you can buy a Hyosung 650 V twin, that is detuned (a governing do hickey thingo installed), the company came up with this idea, so that a lot of potential newbies & born a gains would get this bike so that they would not have bother about upgrading to a bigger bike & suffer the depreciation that goes with new bikes & trade ins. It seems to have worked to, as they seem to sell a few & its a simple matter to remove the restictor once your on your full license. I think its a sound idea, as long as it does not cause to many probs for the bike itself.
Should qualify this a bit, we got rid of the 250 restriction & came up with restriction based on pwer out put of bikes ie: up to say a 650 single, like the BMW funduro

Quick Reply: I just came up with a Motorcycle Invention