Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

beer aficionado thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beer aficionado thread

I thought a thread should exist where we can post up unique and interesting beers worth trying and make reccommendations for each others next beer purchase. So here it is!

Whats your favorite beer?
Favorite brewery?
Good beer tasting tours to go on?

As a Wisconsin native of German ancestry, I pride myself on my enjoyment of local beers. I also attend the only university in the country that brews its own beer intended for human consumption. I will try and compile a list of all of them, but for now I'll just share a picture of my collection.

These consist primarily of beers from the following breweries: New Glarus, Point Brewery, Capital Brewery, Leinenkugels, Sprechers, Blue Moon brewery, Tyranna, Bergoff, and Goose Island.

Alright! Lets get to it!

Old 02-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Retired Moderator
Default RE: beer aficionado thread

I am a Deschutes brewery fan. They do not make a bad beer. Mirror Pond, Cinder Cone, Obsideon Stout, etc. My favorite to be sure. I also am a big fan of Alaskan Amber, and Bridgeport IPA (their caps used to say Great Firkin Beer...cool). I am also a big fan of the seasonal beers that come out around the holidays. Deschute's Jubilale and Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale come to mind.

Good thread, Elmer. I wonder how many people are going to post up about Budwieser and Coors...[:@]

Old 02-09-2008, 10:40 AM

I don't have one favorite:
Blue Moon
Killian's
Bell's
Certain Sam Adams
Bilbo's Pizza and brewery has some good stuff.

Best tasting event I had was with my dad and a group of cigar shop owners. The restaurant's cook was trained in France, the Sam Adams rep was there explaining stuff, and we had cigars. Every course of the meal (3) was prepared with a different beer and then you were also given a different glass of beer with each course. I guess beer doesn't have the ability to overpower a food's taste like wine can. That was an incredible meal. It was soooooo good.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:25 PM

im only 25 years old, so im not the interesting beer type yet, but an uninteresting, yet good beer is Miller CHILL. hehehe.

the reason why i posted here was to ask about a beer a guy i work with gets. ever hear of it? Speckled Hen.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:43 PM

Well, I'm nearing 22 so I don't think age has anything to do with it. Miller Chill goes into the same catagory as anything Smirnoff or Mikes Hard lemonade + variations. Bitch Pop. Thats what it is. calling it beer is downright blasphemous. I already struggle with Coors Light being called "beer."
Course, the joke I usually tell is, "What do coors light, and sex in a canoe have in common? ....they're both ****ing near water."

I haven't heard of Speckled Hen, but generally these more specialty beers are local only. Maybe if naming a more microbrew type of beer, people should post up the general part of the country where it can be had. If I ever happen to be in the area I'll make a point to pick some up, per forum reccommendation...

Old 02-09-2008, 02:27 PM

HAMS! HAMS! And more HAMS! J/K

Im a huge fan of pilsners.
I also drink a whole lot of Mexican beer. Except Carona!

Old 02-09-2008, 02:32 PM

Deschutes makes some great beer, also a fan of New Belgium, Hales Ales, Snoqualmie, Boundary Bay, Scuttlebutt, North Fork, La Conner Brewing, Pike Brewing, Pyramid, Lagunitas, the list goes on and on really.

The breweries listed in green are local and likely not found many places outside of Washington State.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:37 PM

are those regular playstation games on your dvd rack....if so thats awesome

Old 02-09-2008, 02:43 PM

Blue Moon and Moosehead is all i need.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:50 PM

Nice collection you got there elmer.I don't have a picture of it, but mine has a lot of those same bottles.

Quick Reply: beer aficionado thread