Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Army members

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Army members

im 22, hate my job, have no female or kids. i have a mortgage but could put it up for rent easily with my mother to take care of it, i want to go back to school but dont have the money, and im tired of same old every day crap.....sooo i started thinking military. the sign on bonus and pay (knowing that i cant blow it all like most young people in the military) is enticing. knowing that i could get free school, possibly my current student loans taken care of, money in the bank when i get out, and my current job has to hold my position until i get out of the military as long as i enlist while in good standing as an employee. so, what i ask is that i have an appointment with a recruiter tomorrow, what should i do/not do or watch out for?

Old 08-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Stay away from infantry!

Old 08-04-2011, 03:11 PM

Airforce is probably your best bet. You don't want to become part of operation human meat shield. But you gotta have some smarts for the airforce or navy really. But if you think you've got the will power and determination as well as brains I'd say Navy Seal.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, Stay away from the Infantry! vfrman is right. I went Infantry right out of high school, Airborne school then Ranger school. They shipped my @$$ to Bosnia right afterwards in '95-'97(I am 35). Saw $h!t no one should see. Got out with a bad back, bad knees and a bad elbow.
Look for a job that you can ride, not walk. Preferabley with a skill you can use in the real world.
Yes, I admit I was a bumd@$$. The really smart ones stay away from the Infantry and roadmarches. Pm me if you want or need my number. I will tell you the truth and not lie to you. Recruiters only job is to get you in the door for their numbers and only will lie to you. The Army is a double edge sword, for the good and bad.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevwa451
Airforce is probably your best bet. You don't want to become part of operation human meat shield. But you gotta have some smarts for the airforce or navy really. But if you think you've got the will power and determination as well as brains I'd say Navy Seal.
Who lied to you? lol I have met few people that use a brain to figure out issues. If something works they find a way to make it more difficult and then it breaks and they keep trying the difficult route. BTW im airforce weather.

As long as you know fire is hot, ice is cold, and planes can fly, you can get in the airforce.

a ASVAB qualifying score is a 36 if you are a high school senior or have already graduated from High School, and a 65 if you have a GED.

Now i love my sister but she scored low as hell. She scored bare minimum but has a pretty legit job in shipping. She builds crates, loads them with items(Food, ammo, medical supplies, vehicles) and then loads them into a plane(where the loadmaster tells her to).

I wish i had her job. I love being outside and weather is the exact opposite. Im stuck inside 8-12 hours a day at a desk answering phones for pilots(poor intelligence lots of training) to give them weather updates and give them mission planning weather. Sounds cool and maybe im just immune to it but i like a rewarding job and this is not it. I plan on becoming a cop in austin when my time is up.

My advice, if you live near a military base see if you can find someone who will let you shadow them for a day so you can see what there job is like. I wish i had done that.

For advice on the recruiter, dont listen to the bull**** he tells you. Do your research on everything he says. Dont let him rush you into signing anything. Once you take the ASVAB and see what jobs are open to you wait untill the job you want is open and then jump on it.

Good luck.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how the US Military is but im in the Canadian Forces and love it.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior

I am army.
Food for thought. You said that you have some college already and student loans. You will not get a bonus and student loans paid for. Its one or the other. Your current employer will not have to hold your job. That is for reservist that get called up for active military duty. They may for going reserve but i am not sure.

Officers Route
Depending on where you are at in your current schooling you may be able to go officer. Better pay little longer hours but better career choices. They pick up the tab and you come out with a 4yr degree.

Enlisted route:
Low man on totem pole. Ok job choices but you wont have to serve as long. If you work it right you could do 2 or 3 yrs and get out. You will not have a degree but will have college to do afterwards.

True for both.
While in you can continue to do school. Its free while your in. Online is the only option so you will have to be good at computer and working with online colleges. Currently you will deploy meaning you will be gone for 12 months. Most places have some internet access and you can continue to do school not easy but its possible.
Typical day of Army is
0630 PT 1hr long could be longer depending on unit
8-9 is when you start working on ordinary things. Item inventory/vehicle maintenance. Army classes or training.
12-1300 is lunch depending on what has to be done can be shorter or longer.
1300-1700 finish up what you started in morning.

I am not a recruiter nor do i have an opinion on which way you should go. Just trying to give you as many facts as i can. If you have more ?'s pm and i will try to answer them as best i can.

Last edited by drunkinmist; 08-04-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:51 PM

well i just got back, they had me do a practice test and i scored a 68 because i was SUPER rusty. i had no clue on a lot of the math problems. but anyway, no my job isnt required to hold my position by law, but its company policy. we have the VA contract so the more military they have the better off they are. the vets there get away with murder because they need them to keep the contract. im going back friday to go with a recruiter to get my social security card at no cost, then sign up to take the asvab