Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Applied for firearm permit today

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011 | 03:01 PM
|
August 2011 ROTM

I am thinking now.. if I should also get handgun permit. I am sure it will be another $19.25

Old 06-22-2011 | 03:19 PM

Thats the good thing about the CC permit...atleast here, you dont need to buy any more purchase permits for handguns. Long guns do not require permits but handguns do. I guess they see it as a thorough background check has already been done and you have already taken a legal class and firearm training so you are competent enough to not need to buy purchase permits every time you make a firearm purchase.

Old 06-22-2011 | 04:15 PM

I've owned a gun since I was 18. I've fired my sidearm for cause (no comment on that except I've never been to jail). I've never shot anything I didn't intend to hit.

Personal opinion: Gun laws are like locks. The only people they restrict or deter are the law abiding. Back on Yumi's issue a simple question for Yumi:

Are you a mature adult? If you are then no weapon, rifle / handgun / fully automatic M-16, will ever harm anyone unintentionally. It's just like the throttle on your CBR: you and your maturity controls what happens with it.

You don't even hear of accidental discharges any more, even with revolvers, without some underlying cause that can't be pinned on
  • Lack of proper maintenance
  • User error
  • User Stupidity

All of which are preventable

Old 06-22-2011 | 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I like PA just the way it is. Pay your $20 and you can carry a handgun concealed. All you need to do is pass the background check and you get your permit in 3days. It's good for 5yrs.

If you want to buy a rifle from a store, you get an instant background check on federal regs.... but if you if you wanna buy from your neighbor you just need to be 18. We don't track stuff. I can walk down the street and buy an AR15 with cash from anybody.... legally. (as long as I'm allowed to own. The seller is not responsible)
Just the way it should be, imo.

i like PA's open-carry law too

too bad i only visit home maybe twice a year...SC charges 55 bucks for a CCW and need to wait up to 3 months after the application is received by the state for you to have your permit in your hands...

Old 06-22-2011 | 06:02 PM
|
August 2011 ROTM

I was just talking to my friend and he said to get a handgun permit you have to have a handgun that you want to buy (or bought maybe) cuz they have to record that gun to me.

Oh yea, I forgot to add, I need to take my passport when I go pick up my permit

Old 06-22-2011 | 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by AF Twin Turbo
i like PA's open-carry law too

too bad i only visit home maybe twice a year...SC charges 55 bucks for a CCW and need to wait up to 3 months after the application is received by the state for you to have your permit in your hands...
Philadephia is regulated by a "Must Issue" clause. Basically if you're forced to apply for a CCW in Philadelphia (like me) they have 45 days to prove it would be inappropriate to issue you a license. At which time they MUST issue you the permit. Of course it's very murky if the 45 days is regular days or business days. And funny it takes the entire length of time to do so (unless you're connected).

And I hope the "open carry" part was sarcasm. Sure you can open carry, even in cities like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh if you have a CCW. But don't expect to do so without getting griefed at the least here in Philly. And you better follow every instruction given exactly when you do.

Old 06-22-2011 | 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio

And I hope the "open carry" part was sarcasm. Sure you can open carry, even in cities like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh if you have a CCW. But don't expect to do so without getting griefed at the least here in Philly. And you better follow every instruction given exactly when you do.
You actually don't need a LTCF, (License to Carry a Firearm) in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia is the only place in PA that you NEED to have the LTCF to carry either concealed or openly.

I know most places issue you on the spot. There are some sheriffs that like to take there time, but up here, I received my LTCF the same day I went in, but having a spotless background and working as a Corrections Officer helped.

Old 06-22-2011 | 10:30 PM

Wait, did I read the OP correctly in that he needed to get a permit and wait just to PURCHASE a single firearm? You must not be in america?

Old 06-22-2011 | 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by nepa_jim
You actually don't need a LTCF, (License to Carry a Firearm) in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia is the only place in PA that you NEED to have the LTCF to carry either concealed or openly.

I know most places issue you on the spot. There are some sheriffs that like to take there time, but up here, I received my LTCF the same day I went in, but having a spotless background and working as a Corrections Officer helped.
Thought Pittsburgh was also considered a First Class City. Philly is the only one now?

Pretty sure the long wait in Philly is intentional red tape to slow issuing permits. I doubt seriously they do anything with the application beyond filing it after you drop it off. I served as references for 2 different people and they never contacted me.

Old 06-22-2011 | 11:05 PM
Administrator - Retired

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Wait, did I read the OP correctly in that he needed to get a permit and wait just to PURCHASE a single firearm? You must not be in america?
OP is a woman, but yeah..... there are states like this. It's a shame.
There are states that limit magazine capacity, too. Wtf?

I think MD is a nice example of failed restriction. I've never felt the need to carry as much as in Baltimore, but it's illegal for me to carry there. I actually had a guy "ask" me and my friend for money while lifting his shirt to show his gun. I thought I was going to get shot in the back while I ran away. lol..

And Philly is another good example of some bullchit. Trying to impose laws over the commonwealth. Luckily the state has told them to go f themselves on a couple of occasions.
The guy who mugged my sister didn't give a **** about gun laws.

Personal opinion: Gun laws are like locks. The only people they restrict or deter are the law abiding.
Yep. Unless someone has a magic wand that will uninvent guns..... then it's only right for the good guys to have access like the bad guys do.

Quick Reply: Applied for firearm permit today